Dehydrator has arrived

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to order citric acid so not starting today.

Reading the booklet slightly worries me.

Cherries - preparation: can go to the core or wait.

Dry standard: tough

Time/hour : 8-34 dry core before going nuclear???!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @xfieldok, Just come to Adelaide, 39 degrees C today, 41 predicted for tomorrow, That will dehydrate anything.
Fry an egg on a car bonnet whilst you are waiting !!

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey @xfieldok - In this hacienda one has been known to wing it with quite a lot of stuff.

Instead of citric acid, you can just spray whatever you're doing with lemon juice. I can even be bottled juice for that. I sometimes skip that as I routinely vac pack whatever comes out of the magic machine.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already ordered the citric acid but will keep your suggestion in mind for the future.
I will be slavishly be following my idiot's guide until I get the hang of it.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @xfieldok are you going to be dehydrating meat into jerky? Or fruit? Just asking because isn't dried fruit high in concentrated sugars? I can't even get away with one dried apricot - which I love! Now if you are making jerky would love to know more about that and how it turned out....Cheers/L

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @xfieldok are you going to be dehydrating meat into jerky? Or fruit? Just asking because isn't dried fruit high in concentrated sugars? I can't even get away with one dried apricot - which I love! Now if you are making jerky would love to know more about that and how it turned out....Cheers/L
I wouldn't dry the fruit for myself, but if husband wants some I will do some for him.

First of all I saw something on the internet about dog treats and jerky, I am hopefully getting puppies in March so it piqued my interest. You have to finish jerkey in the oven at a higher temperature than the dehydrator can go in order to kill off any harmful bacteria.

I got a kindle book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dehydration. The more I read, the more excited I got. It is well worth getting for a couple of quid before you take the plunge and buy one. I also got a vacuum sealer to preserve stuff and for sous vide.

I think it was @Brunneria who put me on to "raw food" sites where they have recipes for dehydrated crackers. I am really looking forward to giving this a go.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely on the menu. I saw a recipe for mooli crisps, you have to boil them first. No mention of using a dehydrator but there is potential there.

I have actually done those zuchinni crisps. I put the courgettes through the food processor on the fine slicing blade, and I actually think, for me, they would have been better a little thicker. Obviously that would take more time, but I'd be trying that next time.

I usually follow a recipe first time around, so this situation is nothing new for me. :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Those look and sound delicious! How about dried cheese? Last year I began seeing in airport news stands and Starbucks’s a snack that was all cheese, dehydrated to a light puffy ball. Moon Cheese I think it’s called. Wonder how they do that?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those look and sound delicious! How about dried cheese? Last year I began seeing in airport news stands and Starbucks’s a snack that was all cheese, dehydrated to a light puffy ball. Moon Cheese I think it’s called. Wonder how they do that?
Will have to look into this!