What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am super-depressed and anxious because I have my A1C checkup appointment tomorrow with the doctor I haven't seen since last summer because she was out on medical leave for a few months. I have no reason to be scared -- my weight is down, I haven't gained back any that I lost, and I like this doctor and she seems to like me. The volunteer driver scheduled to take me sounded nice on the phone when he called me on Saturday, and I have a list of things I want to ask Doc about, like eye exams and transport options.

But I didn't eat very well over Christmas, and even though her goal for my FBG was 7.2 last summer, it's now higher than I think it should be - usually in the sixes or high fives. I'm not consciously nervous, but I can tell that I am, because after breakfast I took a long nap and I'm not hungry, just craving chocolate.

I did try to find something about Brexit on TV this morning but all I saw was about our gov't shutdown. Sometimes it seems we're the country that thinks it's an island.

Reactions: Freema

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am super-depressed and anxious because I have my A1C checkup appointment tomorrow with the doctor I haven't seen since last summer because she was out on medical leave for a few months. I have no reason to be scared -- my weight is down, I haven't gained back any that I lost, and I like this doctor and she seems to like me. The volunteer driver scheduled to take me sounded nice on the phone when he called me on Saturday, and I have a list of things I want to ask Doc about, like eye exams and transport options.

But I didn't eat very well over Christmas, and even though her goal for my FBG was 7.2 last summer, it's now higher than I think it should be - usually in the sixes or high fives. I'm not consciously nervous, but I can tell that I am, because after breakfast I took a long nap and I'm not hungry, just craving chocolate.

I did try to find something about Brexit on TV this morning but all I saw was about our gov't shutdown. Sometimes it seems we're the country that thinks it's an island.
Try not to worry, think of things you've achieved.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful that you are doing all this. I think the problems of too may carbs, diabetes and obesity have just been made a whole lot worse by the British Nutrition Foundation and their new guidelines. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-46843832/healthy-eating-what-is-a-correct-food-portion Leaving aside what they think are typically eaten foods, the portion sizes for meat, veg and cheese - and portion sizes generally - will leave people hungry IMHO and only increase snacking on very unhealthy foods. Good luck with your meeting the environment out there is not looking helpful. Pretty confused as well, how on earth would anyone ever get the amount of fibre suggested last week from that food intake??:banghead:

It beggars belief doesn't it. I can't see any mention of diabetics! And they get paid for this. Wonder how they came up with these portion sizes! From what research?!?!

The presentation will be about our personal journeys with t2d. From pre diagnosis to where we are today, controlling our BS. In remission. Symptoms disappeared. Feeling very healthy and also the additional bonus of massive weight loss. And of course how we did it LCHF! About 60 to 90 minutes. Lots of handouts. Let's see where it takes us. I'm going to contact the lady who wrote the article about me in my local paper about 6 months ago. With an update. Telling her I now work in the community with various surgeries and the council. 'Empowering people in community'
'Social prescribing ' new initiatives that my surgery are very much behind. It's brilliant isn't it?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am super-depressed and anxious because I have my A1C checkup appointment tomorrow

my weight is down, I haven't gained back any that I lost,

I have a list of things I want to ask Doc about, like eye exams and transport options.

her goal for my FBG was 7.2 last summer, it's usually in the sixes or high fives.

EDITED for clarity..;)

I think me & you @SaskiaKC , have the luxury of worrying over 1st world problems.

We are blessed with being in a community that understands our needs and worries AND supports us in our goals.
Consider how the rest of the T2D population goes about there day, simply taking the meds and eating as prescribed...
(shudder :wideyed::***:)

So it's most likely all our HBA1c are seasonal.. i doubt many don't eat a tad less strictly over chrimbo
so your not alone in that.:sorry:

But YOU are MORE aware, then many because you monitor tour blood sugars so well,

For the monitoring, i see it as Just like driving, it's best for us to stay within our lanes, sudden sharp swerves or wandering over can cause issues.

I more liken the regime we eat to, as like being in a long tunnel, NOT bouncing off the walls is best...;)

if we hit the walls, in real life we see the bruises in a day or twos time..(for us the 'bruising' comes out in a year or more down the road)
so hitting the walls is NOT recommended, but if it happens we can still continue our journey, with a little damage
IF we can continue moving forward. ( The idea is to have as little damage as possible on the journey )

For monitoring, OUR aim is to view and take note of the trends, so we don't bounce off those walls so often.
( not that the high scores aren't a worry, but because we monitor we can action quickly,)
but the trend IS whats important..it's important, that over time that trend is positive, as WE benefit..tremendously.

So, we are KNOWLEDGEABLE..we are AWARE....we are SWITCHED on....
so we worry when we spot a high.

but overall YOU are making great progress..(and like me you probably know it, to)
But ya still worry..Like i do.

So Just be aware, that it's that SENSIBLE worrying that helps us stay IN OUR LANE.

So i guess, hard as it is, don't worry so much about being worried, it's normal..
we care about ourselves and those we love.

BUT we ARE doing the best job we can to take the best of care of ourselves and our diabetes.
and your post and scores show it to all be trending in the right direction.:happy:

As for brexit* and the US...you ARE a large island :D,
and with respect, a nation that has pumped out millions of tons of 'info' into the ether, so it's hard for issues over the Pond to really impact when such goings on, like the shutdown etc are in the public eye..

* try looking online for english papers, or use the https://www.bbc.co.uk/news is a decent start as well,
( may need to a VPN set up to view in other countries)
though do try to balance it with other news outlets, i live here and and am amused sometimes by how they report issues in a far different light to what i see on a daily basis, 'On the ground' to use news parlance..LoL..

The very best of luck with the test tomorrow.
from what see you post..the scores will be good.x

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For you @Debandez

IF it was me, i'd LOVE meeting a real live, T2D survivor..( said in jest, but it WAS how it felt those first few weeks )
and you are the epitome of thriving AND surviving

So with that said...as my FIRST meeting, i'd like to know.

* more about sugars/carbs aka impact on T2D's

I think the assumption was we all knew as much about food as each other.
not sure i would really have understood that impact just from the Desmond's course.

Sure others will have their own opinion on the info they would have wished for most.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Saskia I feel like that before every review...just take a deep breath...wait until you have the results...often our fears are unfounded...good luck.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...up just after 4am full of aches & pains...out for my mid morning constitutional with Harry yesterday having my usual conversation with fellow dog walkers...received an important work phone call which I had to take...suddenly Harry ploughed into me & I found myself laying flat out on the grass...finished my call looking up at the beautiful blue sky...Harry got excited & thought this was play time promptly rushed in for the biggest bulldog snog ever:arghh:...anti-coagulant clinic this morning hoping for some progress with my INR levels...then off to work....woke to a 5.3

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    997.2 KB · Views: 138

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For you @Debandez

IF it was me, i'd LOVE meeting a real live, T2D survivor..( said in jest, but it WAS how it felt those first few weeks )
and you are the epitome of thriving AND surviving

So with that said...as my FIRST meeting, i'd like to know.

* more about sugars/carbs aka impact on T2D's

I think the assumption was we all knew as much about food as each other.
not sure i would really have understood that impact just from the Desmond's course.

Sure others will have their own opinion on the info they would have wished for most.
T
My thoughts exactly. I was diagnosed, had an appointment with DN who drew me the eatwell plate and gave me a stack of booklets to read. Offered me metformin, said it would be progressive and that was it. Didn't even tell me about my local support group held at Tesco every month!!! I felt so many emotions. Sad, angry, devastated at the thought I'd done this to myself my making bad lifestyle choices. But above all I felt isolated as good as my family were. To be able to even talk to a fellow t2d will be a step in the right direction. But to talk to one who has turned what I initially felt was a death sentence around to a blessing in disguise! Well that has to be a positive. I can't wait.

I intend going into carbs/sugar and doing a visual display of a sugar bowl and what happens when it spills over. Keeping it as simple as possible. Preparing lots of hand outs with much more info in and directions to get more if they want it. Ive just asked our PR team if they can get DCUK to send me pens, badges etc to give out on the day. I want to promote them as much as possible as it was DCUK and its amazing forum members who helped and guided me to taking back control. It's a great time to be doing this as it coincides with the NHS low carb app which can now be prescribed by GPs.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 for me. A touch higher than I'd prefer (I aim for 4.0 - 5.4) but very close.

I'm glad that we now have a group of doctors that are questioning the low fat/ whole grains in the upcoming food guideline revision. Unfortunately the updated guidelines will perpetuate the bad advice unless things change suddenly and unless this group can turn things around, it will be the misguided low fat/high whole grains advice that has been given for the last 40 - 50 years (as shown in the recent released draft.) . (See the first line of the first link : "Latest version of Canada Food Guide doubles down on whole grains, advises limiting saturated fat".)

I suspect the Canadian food producers and lobbies are once again, having an enormous influence. Canada is a huge producer of wheat and other grains and gave the world canola oil (rebranded rapeseed oil - we are a huge producer of it.) We are far behind the UK in awareness among medical professionals of low carb and diabetes compared to the UK although it is starting to spread. I'm taking in more stuff to my doctor tomorrow for my follow up appointment, she now has a least 2 of us in her practice who are Type 2s with normal blood glucose due to low carb eating.

We have a long road ahead! But the more of us that get their stories across and out into the media I feel the more they will have to listen. I can send you our inspirational stories booklet and lots of other stuff if you PM me your email. For your appointment. Powerful stuff!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51