Do you find that not many people understand T2?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
One of the biggest issues I find is the lack of understanding of Type 2 diabetes. Some people think it is 'mild' diabetes, others think that you are in danger of having 'hypos' at any given time, whilst we know that is not impossible with T2, many people just think its a 'given'. I am not even sure that family and close friends really understand it, to be fair I was no different until diagnosed myself. It was always some mysterious and rather strange, debilitating and nasty illness that other people had! Hearing about people who lost their sight, had amputations etc! This was not something I had to worry about :!: I think I was under the illusion that T1 was a lifelong thing, that started in childhood, and that I also (sorry to confess) was led to believe that T2 was much less aggressive. An elderly aunt had T2 and I was told that it was not so bad a T1 but that she had to watch what she ate! Also, being a rather slim 8 and half stone, and what I considered to be a healthy eater, in the believe that T2s are all overweight and eat 'junk food', how wrong was I.

Even more worryingly, I am willing to bet that many people that I have worked with, or have contact with in life are likely candidates or even unknowing diabetics themselves. I guess there is much more publicity needed on this subject, though I doubt with the current economic climate that the Government will do much towards this, even though it could save many thousands, or even millions on NHS Care. I do try to explain it to people, but it can get rather complicated and difficult at times as you see their eyes glaze over with boredom, and it does make me feel like a bit of an obsessive, so many times I keep quiet.

Just wondering how other T2s feel about this, or what their experiences might be?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't think people know or understand the seriousness or the complications of diabetes T1 or T2

when i was first diagnosed and told friends and relatives what i had they had the attitude that "oh you'll be ok just don't eat anything with sugar in it"

Sue

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think if we knew about EVERY T2 that is out there there would be uproar. It is MUCH more widespread than is currently believed, and the NHS could certainly not cope (using current preatment protocols) if every T2 suddenly came onto the radar.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Sue o2 said:
I don't think people know or understand the seriousness or the complications of diabetes T1 or T2

when i was first diagnosed and told friends and relatives what i had they had the attitude that "oh you'll be ok just don't eat anything with sugar in it"

Sue

Sounds about right!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sue o2 said:

Sue

You have a point, there would probably be mass hysteria, and the whole NHS system would collapse under the pressure! Guess we are 'lucky' in being diagnosed which leads me to another question (different post).

Kathy

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I tend to keep it to myself actually..............its nobody elses business- I have Asthma too, that not up for discussion either.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What worries me is the one or two Type 2s I know who also don't understand Type 2!

"A nice big piece of banana loaf to keep my blood sugars even" (quote from Type 2 friend).

Viv 8)

anniep

I was just about to post that it concerend me that so many T2's I know don't understand T2, and then I saw Viviennem's post, and I realise it must be a more widespread thatn I realised.........

C

catherinecherub

What did all of us know about Type 2 before diagnosis? Unless we were involved with a family member or friend with it then I doubt that we knew much about it either, why would we know about it?
We know what it is because we have this condition but I think that the majority of us were as ignorant about it as are the people we complain about who do not understand it.
We see signatures here of Type 2's who want to distance themselves from the stereotypical image, "Not overweight", "An unusual case". They didn't realise that it is more than a weight issue.
I knew very little about Type 1 either other than my grandmother had to weigh her food and inject herself and was unwell at times. I still do not know a great deal about it and I am sure many Type 1's do not fully understand Type 2.
What do we know about Cancer, M.S., Dementia, Mental Health and other conditions?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:
What worries me is the one or two Type 2s I know who also don't understand Type 2!

"A nice big piece of banana loaf to keep my blood sugars even" (quote from Type 2 friend).

Viv 8)

:lol: :lol: What worries me VIv is the amount of health professionals who do not understand diabetes period. You cant expect T2's or anyone else to understand diabetes if their doctors dont understand it either can you?

I was actually daydreaming this morning and wondered what answers you would get if you asked 100 doctors what causes bg levels to rise in diabetics, I came to the conclusion that you would probably get a bit of bumbling about insulin resistance and pancreatic function or worse something like well its a little complicated!! But I dont think many if any would simply say "eating carbs". One or two might have a stab at eating sugar but I reckon most would focus on the diabetes rather than the actual physiology.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'd be interested in how many hours medical students get on diabetes, all types, causes and care, in basic training. I'd guess it isn't much. Someone told me they only get a couple of hours on nutrition, generally - don't know whether that's true.

With such an increase in diabetes, I'd expect the condition to be taking a higher priority, at least in GP training. Maybe they could even have seminars/tutorials with real people who have diabetes!

Viv 8)

ClaireG 06

I'm sure we could teach them a thing or to Viv :lol: When i was in hospital at the beginning of the week i dared to ask the Dr if i could have been misdiagnosed as a type 2 and could actually have LADA or another type. I don't think she really got it and said no, you are a type 2 and then waffled on about how unusual it was for me to have had DKA in December and was i sure :roll: Ummm i was in the same hospital for treatment :lol: I was also shocked at what they considerd was a suitable diet for someone with diabetes. Carbs, carbs and more carbs and even fruit juice and yogurt with sugar in :shock:

HpprKM

Dislikes
I was also shocked at what they considerd was a suitable diet for someone with diabetes. Carbs, carbs and more carbs and even fruit juice and yogurt with sugar in

This is really scary, if the health profession seemly does not understand T2 what hope do we have? It would appear to be an ongoing battle of 'us against them'. Their stance on self testing is alarming, how on earth are we supposed to get to grips with diabetes if we are not supposed to self test.

The diabetic diet you were given is almost akin to my flight diet, where I was given two oranges as a dessert! Also, fruit for snack, it was fruit, fruit and more fruit - I just left it, will take my own 'packed lunch in future' :wink:

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
As a parent of a T1 I met a T2 who just wasn't looking after her blood sugar at all. She wouldn't eat at all from morning to after lunch but, of course, this is no way to live and not helping. Couldn't even get a reading on a meter the level was so high. I tried very hard not to frighten the s**t out of her but got her to take an interest in her health and go back and see her GP. She was scared of needing insulin needles and didn't connect the blurry vision with her bsl. Her experience of firstly having gestational diabetes 15 or so years ago terrified her and she had basically given up trying to improve her levels and didn't think it was doing her harm. Anyway, she is doing really well and looks like she's 10 years younger but it took seeing what a 4 year old goes through to maintain levels to have a go at improving her own situation. I also assured her that what was available now was so much better than 15 years ago. :) Until you live with diabetes you can't know what it is to balance life to balance blood sugar. It's walking a tight rope every day.

marigold36

peoples misconceptions and lask of unerstanding scares me to be honest.

Although I dont understand it all myself and often find myself confused and I am living with it day to day, so I dont expect other people to understand everything, but a basic understanding of it would be good.

I forgot to take my met one morning and mentioned it to a colleague. The reply I got was 'oh god your not going to go hypo on me are you' I said No in actual fact my bs levels would prob go up, I had a low carb breakfast and just had a carb free lunch and was in fact ok, and just had the met with tea that evening. The scary thing is that this was a healthcare proffesional that said that.

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Thanks for all the replies to this one you guys. I have just posted a similar theme under skeptical friends. Most of what I wanted to know about has been put on here. My family have been good about it ( but as most of you have said, none of us really understand it ) They made it clear I'm not on my own and will nudge me If I am overindulging when we are out.
Its the " its all in your mind" brigade , that REALLY get up my nose. :|

anniep

Hi gratope

- I've just said on the keeping it secret thread - about being resoundly told by a dietician acquaintance that 'OF COURSE YOU CAN EAT SUGARY THINGS' in a very authorative way when my friends are not offering them to me!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Graham, as with you my close family are very supportive, biggest issues were found with work colleagues, and these are intelligent, professional people - so many of them kept offering me sweet things, despite my repeated replies that I should not be eating them :( . Yes, they meant well I know - but is hard to take when I would so love to say yes I will have a cake, donut, biscuit especially chocolate covered ones :wink:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Oh, by the way, I think that dietician needs a retraining course for diabetes :lol:

trand

I myself did not even know there was a t2, I thought diabetes was just that, no types, but know I understand now having been on here and done loads of research.

Most responses I get from the few, I have mentioned it to is; oh so-and-so had that and lost a leg/foot, both legs, I do think theres a lot of ignorance out there concerning diabetes, especially this , '' oh so you can't have sugar then'', I just smile, and get on with my own control :D