back on victoza

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
after 2 years of being on insulin and feeling like ****, i am back on victoza, hope it works this time.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not get on with Victoza. On insulin now and feeling better - it is a strange old world.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What sort of diet are you on to control both weight and blood sugar?

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does Victoza stop working after a while, i've been on it for 6 weeks, reduced down to long acting insulin only 13u at night, and 40 glicerzide morning and 80 at night.

I swear i'm retaining water my ankles are quite puffy but weight loss seems to have stopped. However i do have holiday head on at the moment so might just enjoy hols and then get back on track.

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
a pretty decent diet Daibell and lots of excercise, Bev i was under the impression that victoza should not be given with gliclazide but i could be wrong.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At one point I was on Victoza and gliclizide at the same time but was getting a lot of hypos until they stopped the gliclizide

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm on Victoza, and Gliclazide 160mg twice a day, (and Metformin 500mg twice a day), but have been told to reduce the Gliclazide as appropriate if I experience hypos...left up to me to decide. I had a few hypos when I first went on Victoza, but not getting them now. Good news is that my HbA1c is down from 72 to 52 in six months, and I've also lost 21.5 Kg in the same time.

Ladylaurax

I'm on Victoza, and Gliclazide 160mg twice a day, (and Metformin 500mg twice a day), but have been told to reduce the Gliclazide as appropriate if I experience hypos...left up to me to decide. I had a few hypos when I first went on Victoza, but not getting them now. Good news is that my HbA1c is down from 72 to 52 in six months, and I've also lost 21.5 Kg in the same time.

@Marvin

I know this is an old post but wondered how your Victoza journey continued?

Many thanks

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow! There's a blast from the past!
A lot of water under the bridge since then: from about the time of that post until about a year ago my diabetes showed a gradual worsening trend. This time last year my weight was over 18 stone, my HbA1C was up to 78, and I had been put on Sitagliptin in a last ditch effort to stop the rot. I had been told the next step would be to go on Insulin, and that really worried me because I really couldn't face doing the necessary maths to work out dosages. I was feeling very depressed about my health...I have blocked coronary arteries causing angina which made exercise difficult; I also have High blood pressure, IBS, prostatic hyperplasia, and develop kidney stones.... all these medical conditions bring their own dietary requirements which are sometimes conflicting! I felt I was in a downward spiral, and was frankly despairing. AND THEN : my doctor sent me on a personalised diet, weight management and exercise course for 12 weeks. I began by making myself go out for a walk every day, and abruptly stopping any snacks etc between meals. Each day I walked a bit further, until I got bored with covering the same footpaths; then, with the advice of my mentor I bought an e-bike and began cycling. After six months I had lost a stone in weight, and my HbA1C was down to 53. I was taken off the Victoza, to see what would happen. Now another six months have past and my last HbA1C was 54, as a result of which I have been taken off the Sitagliptin. I've not been as assiduous with the exercise in the cold weather, as my angina bothers me in the cold, but I walk or ride most days. My cycle rides are now up to around 12 miles, the e-bike gives my heart some help up inclines and when I tire, so still makes exercise possible, which I once found impossible. I had become extremely inactive, but now I have some exercise every day, and I have lost some weight, my diabetes is definitely in reverse. I'm now looking forward to the spring weather when I'll have a renewed effort at weight loss, and hopefully continue to get fitter. Who knows, this time next year I may be off the Gliclazide as well, and maybe even the Metformin. A year ago, if anyone had told me I'd take up cycling in my mid-seventies, I'd have laughed in their face. But its made a world of difference, and I'm now feeling a lot more positive about my health, despite continuing problems in the non-diabetes departments. Hope this gives someone some encouragement.