Type 1 forgotten my needles - please help

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I’m an idiot. Ive come away for work with all my diabetes kit, including test kit, lancets, basal and bolus insulins, jelly babies etc but have realised that I left my needles for my insulin pens at home.
I am on low carb and only use bolus once a day at most, but I take 7-8 units of Abasaglar before bed. I now realise I won’t be able to take it tonight. A nearby Boots pharmacy opens at 7am. Will I be able to buy needles to take some bolus in the morning? I have a formal doctors letter with my diabetes medication listed on it and photo ID.
I know I’m an idiot so please don’t make me feel worse by telling me! I’ve only been on insulin for a year having got late onset diabetes which has developed slowly.
I have my test kit... at what glucose level do I need medical attention? Thanks a lot for your help

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Two options.
Either use the needle off your bolus pen & use it on the Abasaglar pen tonight. Then to the chemists tomorrow morning?

Or, pending on when you usually take your basal? Use the "I forgot my basal last night" rule & take half the amount 8/10 hours late. When you've been to the chemists tomorrow morn...?

But keep testing through the day.

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. It will be nearer 12 hours late by the time I hopefully get needles, so is it’s better to forget the missed the dose and take bolus with a medium carb snack?
Am I right in thinking that I should be able to buy needles from Boots the chemist in London?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. It will be nearer 12 hours late by the time I hopefully get needles, so is it’s better to forget the missed the dose and take bolus with a medium carb snack?
Am I right in thinking that I should be able to buy needles from Boots the chemist in London?

It would be better to take half the amount of your recomended dose of basal late, than not at all.
Yep, you should be OK with the pharmacist, & with your doc's letter. They should help..

Just keep a close eye on your BGs tomorrow.
Good luck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Thankfully we have a couple of 24 hour pharmacies in Bundaberg for these things happening.

Michelle6557

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I’ve only ever seen really high numbers (23+) after over-treating a hypo. I wasn’t on bolus at that stage and left it to sort itself out.
What glucose level would you consider getting medical help for tomorrow having missed basal? I’m planning ahead as I’ll be with my boss tomorrow. I’ll certainly be limiting carb intake until I get needles. Am really worried they won’t let me have any at the chemist

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I’ve only ever seen really high numbers (23+) after over-treating a hypo. I wasn’t on bolus at that stage and left it to sort itself out.
What glucose level would you consider getting medical help for tomorrow having missed basal? I’m planning ahead as I’ll be with my boss tomorrow. I’ll certainly be limiting carb intake until I get needles. Am really worried they won’t let me have any at the chemist
Do you have your repeat on script with boots? - my hubby forgot his epilepsy tablets whilst in London once and he went into boots and they checked on their computer and they gave him enough to last whilst he was there - they were noted down as owed when he next collected his script

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Michelle6557, We have all made or nearly made some mistake with our diabetes kit.
Acquaintance of mine was 6 hours out of port on a cruise ship before he realised he had forgotten to pack his insulin.
Good on you for doing your homework and finding the closest source in time and place for obtaining needles.
I cannot give you medical advice but can state what the plan I used to have when on multiple injections of insulin per day
(I am currently on an insulin pump):
keep fluids up overnight, avoid eating food,
test BSLs every 2 hours and if rising above 18 to 20 mmol/l consider going to the nearest hospital.
Also if I had a glucose meter that could measure blood ketones with a special ketone strip a BSL > 15 mol/l with ketones > 0.6 go straight to hospital
Once I was able to take insulin and in the morning (and assuming I could not contact my DSN or doctor),
take the daily long acting insulin at the usual dose, or the morning's long acting insulin if on a split am/pm long-acting doses of insulin regime
Take short acting bolus insulin with usual breakfast but increase the dose according to BSL plus 20%.
Monitor BSLs every 2 to 4 hours
Again that was just my emergency plan, it may or may not suit you.
Also importantly do not berate yourself. Be kind to yourself.
I used to leave spare syringes and needles, glucose tablets in my travel bag at a time when I was travelling frequently, and place big signs on the fridge and the inside of the front door about packing the insulin on the morning or evening before travel.
One cannot exactly tie a needle or syringe around one's finger as a reminder!!
Best Wishes for a smooth recovery.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My advice to you would be. Check out the threads regarding "forgetting to inject basal the night before."
The sooner you get your needles, the better.. These things happen more than you know with longer term insulin dependants than yourself..
I personally wouldn't want to sit the day out running in the teens. Let alone the 20s.
I actually can't see any reason the chemist wouldn't let you have the needless..
Tell your boss you need to get some meds first thing & will be possibly a little late. If you can message the them now? All the better..
If you have no means to inject, it's not going to help tomorrow. If your scooting into the 20s with no means to correct. Get to a hospital.

AliB73

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi Michelle
I'm also in London with work. I'm staying in Leicester Square. I'm on a pump but do have a spare microfine needle with me, I'm heading over to Hatton Garden for 9.30am but any time between now and 9am shout if you want it!

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Michelle6557 How are you getting on ?

It happens, so please don't beat yourself up, there's alot to remember, Boots are normally good, also try A&E, they can source equipment too, best wishes J

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If it was me I would re-use the needle until you can get to the chemist. I use one needle per day which covers 4 to 5 injections with no problem. I don't think needles need a script but a box of 100 might not be cheap

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Michelle6557
Did you get needles? If you are still stuck I am working in London today and have some spares with me.