Travel insurance

Freedom1

I have researched travel insurance a great deal and I'm shocked at some of the quotes. Me and my 6 year old daughter are going to Europe for 2 weeks. First of all I was quoted £150 from Heath Lambert, recommended by Diabetic UK!! Then I was quoted £85 from Aviva, and £64 from Tesco. However PJ Hayman (the underwriters are Axa), and gave me a quote of £21.10. This seems very cheap compared to other quotes, however, after a long conversation with them I feel 100% happy. Diabetes is NOT high risk.
I think we deserve to know that there are travel insurance companies who don't over load for our condition.

Christine

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I found the same difficulties when i was looking for insurance for my first holiday abroad since being diagnosed.

The problem i found was that companies would insure you cheaply even though you had diabetes, but if something diabetes related happened, you wouldn't necessarily be insured! so it took me a while to find one who would at a decent price.

So i always make sure it's confirmed that i'm completely covered diabetes and all!

I think if anything we may be more careful with having diabetes and therefore should get it cheaper than most :lol:

Reactions: Martin786

smaynard

Yes, we too found the same when first looking for insurance for our family shortly after our 3 year old daughter was diagnosed....the companies who are detailed on diabetes websites were all ridiculously expensive....which were the first ones I called and it was therefore somewhat alarming, not just from a financial perspective, but an emotional one too because of the obvious high risk implication.

Fortunately, I too persisted, and was relieved to find insurance with NO loading for my daughter's diabetes and YES it is covered. We are currently with AMEX.

Twitterology

I am in the process of asking a number of insurance companies to see if they are interested in creating new and less expensive travel insurance products for people with diabetes. I have had responses from Geico and State Farm in the US who have at least expressed an interest.

My idea was to link premiums to age and duration of diabetes, use of insulin compared to other therapies and presence or absence of complications. Once my travel site is able to provide guidance on testing, changing insulin for journeys crossing time zones, airline and hotel meal carb count etc this should reduce "risk" from an insurance point of view and therefore hopefully the premium!

As soon as I here more I will post on my website for discussion.

Mr Happy

As with all insurance though, make sure to check the small print. Cheapest quote will not always be the 'best value' and often the time people find this is when they are vulnerable and need the help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App