can I use the lancets more than once ?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are so expensive , I've just ordered more and its cost me £15 for lancets and testing strips .

Cheers

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are not supposed to. But I have done for many years, they become more blunt so healing of fingers may take longer if reused.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are not supposed to. But I have done for many years, they become more blunt so healing of fingers may take longer if reused.
do you sanitise the needle before reuse or pour boiling water over it ?

D

Deleted Account

The advice I was given when first diagnosed was to use my lancet twice without any need to sterilise the needle.
15 years later, I still try to do this, don't have sore fingers, or blunt lancets.
I guess I may be able to use them more times but only do this when I forget to change them (or don't take enough our with me).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I don't.

However as a fairly well controlled long term T2 I don't test all day every day.

I tend to change the lancet when I haven't tested for a while or if it starts to hurt more than expected.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use them for months at a time without doing anything to clean them. I test something like 4 times a day. It's not recommended though.

Reactions: jillsymes66

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You will get many varied answers on this subject. I use a Fastclix with the drum cylinder with 6 lancets in it. I change drum every 3 days....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to change mine monthly.. now can't remember when I last did it..still have about 280 of the 300 I originally bought 3 years ago!

Reactions: Shas3 and Spellz_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly don't change mine. I also use a Fastclix lancet device that has a drum of 6 lancets inside. I still have the very first box I bought, well over 4 years ago.

Reactions: Charis1213

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.......when you finally end up clicking the lever, and the number goes from 6 to 5........the first "prick" is heaven :wideyed:

Yes, I don't change my lancet too often, and still have a box of 300 well over half full.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you sanitise the needle before reuse or pour boiling water over it ?

I've never done that, but as others have said I use the 6 lancet drum on the accu check mobile, so if removed you cant reinsert. But even on my older machines I never sanitized the needle.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly can't remember when I changed mine last. I would only click to the next one if it hurt (more than once)

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mi Lantus pen about once a month and change the needle at the same time Í inject twice a day. My Finger Pricker I change when it begins to heart I use FastClix and I drum lasts approx. I year I test normally twice a day with extra test for new food items as required I do not sterilize

D

Deleted member 308541

They are so expensive , I've just ordered more and its cost me £15 for lancets and testing strips .

Cheers
On my Multiclix lancing device which has six lancets in a drum, I dial in a new lancet every time I start a new tub of fifty strips.

They cost me around $20.00 for box of 17 x 6 lancet drums.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use them for weeks at a time too (fastclix drum type). That said I did once get cellulitis in my thumb about 3 months after diagnosis. This may have been because I stupidly did it in the middle of the pad not at the edge and it may not have been anything to do with reusing the lancet. It did bloody hurt though. I still reuse them.