Steroid injection

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On Tuesday I had a steroid injection in my right shoulder because of shoulder impingement. I was told I would affect my blood sugars and was told that it could cause hypos. In fact they gave not been below 10 for the last 4days. I have just taken it again before I go to bed and it is 16.4. Do I need to worry? What. Should I do?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly not the same thing, I've had three frozen shoulders and was offered steroid injection but really did not fancy it... so went the physio treatment, which I've managed to keep going with.
Can't say anything about the effect of SI's on BS.
I would be interested to hear what your overall experience of the SI is.
Being a "man" the frozen shoulders are probably the worse pain I've ever experienced over a long period... though the torn ACL is giving them a run for their dosh.
I wish you well and a rapid recovery.
:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Having steroid injections will not cause hypos and in fact the opposite as it will increase BS. BTW if you have a genuine frozen shoulder, where the capsule clamps down, steroid injections will not help and will normally be a waste of time; some GPs aren't aware of that according to my wife's consultant. Steroids can be of use if you have fibromyalgia etc which is not the same problem.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a steroid injection in one foot and major surgery on the other foot in Dec 17. My blood sugars were raised for around a week to ten days afterwards.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
On Tuesday I had a steroid injection in my right shoulder because of shoulder impingement. I was told I would affect my blood sugars and was told that it could cause hypos. In fact they gave not been below 10 for the last 4days. I have just taken it again before I go to bed and it is 16.4. Do I need to worry? What. Should I do?

Whoever told you that was %100 wrong. I've learnt to do my own research when it comes to being prescribed something that I don't know anything about, because word of mouth from those prescribing can be wrong from time to time.

As for what to do, I don't know anything about you. If you are on meds, diet you use etc?

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Possibly not the same thing, I've had three frozen shoulders and was offered steroid injection but really did not fancy it... so went the physio treatment, which I've managed to keep going with.
Can't say anything about the effect of SI's on BS.
I would be interested to hear what your overall experience of the SI is.
Being a "man" the frozen shoulders are probably the worse pain I've ever experienced over a long period... though the torn ACL is giving them a run for their dosh.
I wish you well and a rapid recovery.

No it actually isn't the same thing. It was caused by a fall in August when I broke my already paralysed left leg!!! The result of the fall was fluid on the shoulder which caused shoulder impingement which basically means limited movement. For me this is very difficult as I use walking frame and wheelchair to get round so have to use my arms a lot. Update is that my shoulder is much better and blood sugars are now back to normal after 5 days

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No it actually isn't the same thing. It was caused by a fall in August when I broke my already paralysed left leg!!! The result of the fall was fluid on the shoulder which caused shoulder impingement which basically means limited movement. For me this is very difficult as I use walking frame and wheelchair to get round so have to use my arms a lot. Update is that my shoulder is much better and blood sugars are now back to normal after 5 days

Glad to read.
Wish you good.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Steroids raise blood sugars not lower them. I know this as I am on long term steroids for my Polymyalgia Rheumatica