Freestyle Libre reading ~2mmol/L lower then fingerpick constantly...

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!
Just curious if anyone else has been experiencing this - for the last few months I have been noticing that my Libre readings have been constantly (approx) 1.5-2.0mmol/l lower then my finger prick. Even accounting for the delay in interstitual fluid its always low.

I will check at night and it will read 4.2 and I will take a finger prick and it will show 6.2mmol/l - I can trend flat at 7 all morning, and my finger pricks will show me 9..

Has anyone else been seeing consistantly lower readings from the libre? I dont think I have seen it read higher then my finger once in the last 6 months - Its to the point where I might as well stop wearing it because it will tell me I am at 3.2 and in reality I am at 5.2 and perfect! Its very frustrating as you may imagine and its causing me to run high as a result.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey all!
Just curious if anyone else has been experiencing this - for the last few months I have been noticing that my Libre readings have been constantly (approx) 1.5-2.0mmol/l lower then my finger prick. Even accounting for the delay in interstitual fluid its always low.

I will check at night and it will read 4.2 and I will take a finger prick and it will show 6.2mmol/l - I can trend flat at 7 all morning, and my finger pricks will show me 9..

Has anyone else been seeing consistantly lower readings from the libre? I dont think I have seen it read higher then my finger once in the last 6 months - Its to the point where I might as well stop wearing it because it will tell me I am at 3.2 and in reality I am at 5.2 and perfect! Its very frustrating as you may imagine and its causing me to run high as a result.

Well yes, I have experienced this in the past but not with consecutive sensors.

Reactions: mike@work
D

Deleted Account

What are you using to read your sensor?
I found the Libre reader and Libre Link app inaccurate and unable to calibrate.
However, I got much better readings (better as in closer to finger prick) from the Glimp app which allows calibration.
It’s not perfect but better.

(Glimp works on Android, I think xdrip is the equivalent on Apple phones but I have not tried it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only use the freestyle sensor, no apps or anything ( I have an old phone with an old OS lol)

This has been multiple sensors in a row, probably the last 3 or 4. Maybe its a bad batch I am not sure.. Just curious is if anyone else has seen this.

Has anyone tried using these in different locations besides the tricep area?

Thanks all!

TuviaDror

Hey all!

I agree. But don’t give up. Report it to the authorities (NHS in UK and FDA in USA) and they will get Abbott (the freestyle libre manufacturer) to fix it. Its not complicated at all- Those libre guys just have to listen and not ignore us. Don’t give up. See my thread We will have a better controlled life. Trust me. See the thread and movie on YouTube I posted in “Freestyle Libre sensor Serious inaccuracies- Help us improve this!”

TuviaDror

Hey all!

Me to. See my post "
Freestyle Libre sensor Serious inaccuracies- Help us improve this!"

T2_2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all!
Just curious if anyone else has been experiencing this - for the last few months I have been noticing that my Libre readings have been constantly (approx) 1.5-2.0mmol/l lower then my finger prick.

Hi,

I started using the sensors in December, 3 so far, and each one has read something like 1.5 less than my finger pricks using the Libra app (android). The glimp app can be a little better because of its calibration but it still ends up a lot lower than the finger pricks if I don't keep constantly calibrating it. The Libre's estimated a1c (after only 5 weeks, to be fair) was 10mmol less than last weeks blood test.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I had a break from Libre for a couple of months but now back on it. Previous sensor on left arm pretty much spot on with respect to finger prick tests with the Glucomen LX. Current sensor has been consistently 2mmol below the Glucomen LX since I put it on and with only 3 days left I don't think it's going to get any closer..

I am starting to wonder if wearing it on the left or right arm makes a difference and I'm gonna keep a record of this going forward.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

Have an identical problem. Only thing that maybe differs a little is, that I have some changes in the readings depending on:

1) When was the sensor attached - the first 2 days usually give a bit better readings
2) If I exercise or freeze the Libre-readings are a few steps nearer the truth
3) My night-readings are probably also very wrong, because I often have LO the whole night, BUT not before I go to bed nor when I get up in the morning and check with my meter.
Edited to add
4) There ARE better and worse sensors, so remember to "calibrate" with finger prick - always - or you can get a nasty surprise when you finally check against the meter...

Don't trust the Libre - trust your meter.
Try some of the apps - You'll get a noticeable difference

Last edited: