Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to butt in ,but I have a question about squash .A friend has given me a slice so I looked it up to check the carbs but I have no idea what sort of squash it is ,not butternut and I am utterly confused about the carbs content .I am having problems with my BGs at the moment I think I may have an infection I have been for a chest x-ray but not got result yet (a story for another time !)
so if anyone can help with the carbs in squash for my soup I would be very grateful
Carol

Can you post a pic or describe it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. That was 2 for me, one for @archersuz and one for @JohnEGreen , and they weren't your regular 5% beers either. Then I had a Beerenburg (Friesian schnapps without sugar but 30% alcohol) with the neighbour who came over to ask how his smartphone works.
So now I feel like I've had a good party, I'll eat some crisps to make sure I'm safe tonight (and to enhance te party-ish feeling) and try to read some more of my book.
I might be back later on with more nonsense, as I have a strict no mingling facebook and alcohol rule. No such rule in place here, though :)

I am delighted for you @Antje77 that you now have a diagnosis and can go forwards with it. Worth all the effort in pushing for it. Enjoy your celebrations and have a couple for me. :)

Reactions: heh

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My true introduction to the world of interior decorating (of rooms, not the body) was via my mother -in-law.
She are very particular about choosing the colours of walls etc in and outside her new house. This is about 18years ago.
I think that accounting for both inside and outside colours there were 110 sample colours tried out.
One side of pieces of cardboard about 80 by 80 cm were first coated with a primer/undercoat and then 2 coats of the sample paint and placed in various positions within a room or on outside wall so that the colour could be judged in all matter of lighting and positions. Muggins here was the 'volunteer artist/painter'.
The ceilings were already painted a flat soft-white colour although I have been in houses where the ceilings were a pink colour, supposedly to give people's faces a rosier appearance.
My mother-in-law was also definite about lighting, none of these cool-white light globes which she said made people look like they were in a morgue. Warm colour lighting only.
The end result: The colours that appealed most were ones that reminded one of food in some way, or elicited a gustatory (taste) and./or olfactory (aroma) response or memory.
Although, not saying that the walls had to be an avocado green or lemon squash yellow.
The colours were more subtle and thus less likely for people to tire of them: peaches/apricots, yellow creams, tantalising cool oranges. And the outside: reminiscent of the American brownstone tradition. Guess what the neighbours called the house:
The chocolate house !!
Several years ago my wife and I wished to repaint the main bedroom. But the duvet cover ,a grey-green silk number, was to be part of the colour scheme as well as some wood features, with an easterly aspect and a preference for darkish colour carpet.
We employed the services of an interior decorator who came up with a colour scheme which we had not envisaged. I think one thinks of past colour schemes and tried to 'fit or squeeze' them into the new room and cannot make things work.
An independent opinion saves lots of later grief and regret.
Result: a dark black-grey carpet, brightish lemony skirting board, doors and architraves, a deep yellow gold on the wall, slightly coolish flat white ceiling and a feature wall of rushgreen. Of course the fact that Aussie sporting colours are yellow and green had nothing to do with it. The colours have 'food-appeal' without making one wish to raid the fridge.
Colours are so personal but please consider the 'food connection"!!:):):cyclops::cyclops::oops::oops::wacky::wacky::yuck::yuck::wideyed::wideyed::bigtears::bigtears::joyful::joyful:

Hmmm. Warm lighting colours. Pink & or orange cells slotted over white bulbs. Theatrical "stage lighting" to compliment the "performer.. "
Lol, I started "showbiz" wanted to be an actor. before rock & roll. Same thing really.. Stage lighting more strobey with R&R.
I never wear a grey or light tee shirt at gigs. The eyes get lost in the harsh floods reflecting off the material. ;)
Any photos or video footage has highlighted this.. Literally. :cool:

Reactions: kitedoc

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please let us know when and where your next gig is........ you keep talking about performing but never reveal where!
Technically. Due to forum ethos rules, I don't wish to be deemed as "advertising or soliciting" Lol, of course I'm entitled to mention my previous activities.. There is no special dispensation as a Mod. ;)
Fairness to all regarding the rules. I wouldn't handle moderation affairs any other way.

I've been all over in my time. The length & breadth of Europe.
The next one is in Bristol this weekend.

Edit; I'd love to post footage of my past exploits, but the laguage is a little "fruity" in places too...

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Technically. Due to forum ethos rules, I don't wish to be deemed as "advertising or soliciting" Lol, of course I'm entitled to mention my previous activities.. There is no special dispensation as a Mod. ;)
Fairness to all regarding the rules. I wouldn't handle moderation affairs any other way.

I've been all over in my time. The length & breadth of Europe.
The next one is in Bristol this weekend.

Edit; I'd love to post footage of my past exploits, but the laguage is a little "fruity" in places too...
I'd say as it was explicitly requested on this thread you could tell us on this thread. And I'd say if I explicitly asked for information about where to find this footage of your past exploits you'd still within the rules if you'd post a link...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fantastic news Antje77 no more ambiguity and no more doubt, job's a goodun' as we say here in Blighty.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

The weather is forecast to turn really cold today.

Did I mention my son & DIL bought me a Fitbit for Christmas and I really like it. At work I work in a ground floor office and my boss is in an office on the first floor so I'm up & down the stairs all day so it's really interesting to see not just my steps but how many flights of stairs I climb each day but what interests me the most is checking my sleep, I'm even waking up thinking about how much deep sleep I've had.

Alan has been referred to hospital for a blemish on his face, anyway he got a letter from the NHS yesterday telling him he will get a letter about an appointment by today - what a waste of time, resources & postage.

He's also been told to take a third metformin each day as he's not controlling his BS very well atm.

Have a good day.

H :)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have often felt the same way. But decades ago a priest-friend agreed that while I might feel like round peg in a square hole, that can be better than feeling like a square peg in a round hole. A square peg can't fit into a round hole; a round peg can fit into a square hole -- not properly, not comfortably, but sometimes fairly securely ...

Now, as to whether or not that is a good thing ...

I learned that from a 3-year-old friend, who had one of these:

41skqXGd1GL._SX425_.jpg
Thank you ! I think I like your priest friend though don't know if I'm a square or round peg :) I sometimes feel choosing to eat low carb made me a bit more .... a strange person in addition to getting t1 diabetes

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thank you ! I think I like your priest friend though don't know if I'm a square or round peg :) I sometimes feel choosing to eat low carb made me a bit more .... a strange person in addition to getting t1 diabetes

I'm a dodecagonal peg so never fit unless hammered in.:)

Reactions: SaskiaKC and carty

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Well, I know for a fact that guitarists are not strange. We may be weirdly wonderful, but not mundanely strange. :D

Well, no humans are mundanely anything. That's what makes it strange. And sometimes fun. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I know for a fact that guitarists are not strange. We may be weirdly wonderful, but not mundanely strange. :D
Haha, I'm not a guitarist per se (in fact I'm pretty bad at guitar playing), but I used to be a busker in the streets of Amsterdam and I'm not in the least strange. I think.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, @Antje77 . And if I ever can figure out how to spell it phonetically I plan to ask you and @JoKalsbeek if y'all can help me with a song my mother learned as a child from her Dutch grandmother. My mother didn't really know Dutch but she used to sing us this song when we were little. The only word I may have figured out so far is something like "buntekuh" or "buntekoo".