Difference between low carb diet and ketogenic

nikolakiss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Greetings everyone... Really glad to be here ... I'm trying to understand the difference between low carb and ketogenic diet ... I am on keto,in which i know the main concept is to make your body use ketones as the main energy source...on low carb what are we trying to achieve? And glucose is still the main energy source ? Because if it is , it means we are eating a lot of protein... And in absence of carbs and fats , that is called , Atkins... Right?

A little confused here ...thanks in advance for every answer

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No, fat is the main energy source. A low carb diet should be high fat and moderate protein. Something like 80% calories from fat.

sbnz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Greetings everyone... Really glad to be here ... I'm trying to understand the difference between low carb and ketogenic diet ... I am on keto,in which i know the main concept is to make your body use ketones as the main energy source...on low carb what are we trying to achieve? And glucose is still the main energy source ? Because if it is , it means we are eating a lot of protein... And in absence of carbs and fats , that is called , Atkins... Right?

Hi nikolakiss,
Ha ha - here I was thinking - I know the answer to this one (when just reading your subject line) but then reading your actual message in whole - I also became confused...hmmm maybe I don't know - so like you I'm on a quest to understand this stuff. My thoughts were that low carb were basically eating less carb than what has been traditionally recommended for diets for peeps with diabetes - so aiming for more proteins and fats and low carb veggies and fruits in the diet - with the aim of achieving better, more even and lower (like non-diabetic) blood glucoses. My take on keto is to eat virtually no carb, lots of protein and even more of fats (ratiowise)...(as well as very low or no carb fruit and veges) to force the body into ketosis - which means the body is then burning stored fats to supply energy to itself. When you said that 'the ketones' in keto diet 'are the energy' it made me think oh I don't know as much as I thought I did. I thought the process of ketosis produced ketones along with the energy. Hmmm anyone else able to enlighten us? [ I don't think peeps with diabetes - or even without d - need to or get any benefit from keto diets if they are a healthy weight or below..? In fact probably dangerous?]

M

Member496333

Low carb is associated more with managing blood glucose levels at an acceptable level. Very often it won’t be low enough to force the body to switch to burning ketones as the primary energy source. Less than 130g seems a commonly accepted measure of low carb, which in most cases would almost certainly mean glucose remains the primary fuel. Keto would typically be less than 50g. Often 20g.

That is how I view the distinction at least.

Googie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My view on this is Keto is a lifestyle choice where by one comes off all carbs except for those found in leafy greens etc. Low Carb one will eat whole grain bread, still eat potatoes etc but a lot less. Keto one changes the fats used etc to tackle other issues such as inflammation etc.

My ANOLOGY
LowCarb: a drug addict gives up heroin but still likes weed and the occasional sniff of coke
Keto: Free from all illicit drugs

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My view on this is Keto is a lifestyle choice where by one comes off all carbs except for those found in leafy greens etc. Low Carb one will eat whole grain bread, still eat potatoes etc but a lot less. Keto one changes the fats used etc to tackle other issues such as inflammation etc.

My ANOLOGY
LowCarb: a drug addict gives up heroin but still likes weed and the occasional sniff of coke
Keto: Free from all illicit drugs

there would be degrees of low carb and for this low carber whole grain bread and potatoes are not on the menu... though I am well short of keto, though I don't know that for sure, never bothered finding out.

To the OP, small steps is best, crashing anything is never a good idea.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

No - Atkins is not low fat. In the Instructions for doing Induction there is a clear instruction to avoid low fat, not to remove the skin and fat from chicken or other meat. Atkins is a low carb diet - and it works well for diabetics. It is the same thing as a keto diet - the whole aim of a low carb diet is to induct ketosis - but these things get defined, refined and repeated over and over - but it is one basic premise - we were never designed to eat a modern diet with the abundance of carbs the supermarkets want to sell.