PORRIDGE made with water or low fat milk?

D

Deleted member 308541

As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.
I remember some of the powered food such as eggs and milk at home, I do not remember what the porridge was like tho'.

I just had a look at the quantity of foodstuff you got on ration if you had a health problem.

Weekly supplementary allowances of rationed foods for invalids

Disease Food supplementary allowance Quantity Coupons to be surrendered

Diabetes Butter and margarine 12 oz (340 g) (not more than 4 oz (110 g) butter) Sugar
Diabetes Meat 2s. 4d., adult 1s, 2d., child under six Sugar
Diabetes – vegetarians only Cheese 8 oz (230 g) Sugar
Hypoglycaemia Sugar 16 oz (450 g) -
Steatorrhoea Meat 4s. 8d. adult, 2s. 4d. child under six Butter and margarine
Nephritis with gross
albuminuria and gross oedema,
also nephrosis Meat 3s. 6d. adult, 1s. 9d. child under six

A bit about milk.

Milk was supplied at 3 imp pt (1.7 l) each week with priority for expectant mothers and children under 5; 3.5 imp pt (2.0 l) for those under 18; children unable to attend school 5 imp pt (2.8 l), certain invalids up to 14 imp pt (8.0 l). Each consumer received one tin of milk powder (equivalent to 8 imperial pints or 4.5 litres) every eight weeks.[32]

Vegetarians had to surrender their meat coupons...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom#Food_rations

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the
farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.

My discussion point is - what do members think - does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just
plain water? AND which combination is healthier considering blood sugars?

Despite the fact that I have to take more insulin, I always eat oatmeal made with full milk, a few berries and some nuts. It has so much more flavor. I make a batch on Sundays and keep it in the fridge at work. I tried making some of the fake oatmeal recipes using Chia and Flax seeds - it almost made me gag. In the summer I eat plain low carb yoghurt with berries/nuts. Breakfast recipes are so hard, especially during the week.

*Anna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested blood before a small pot of Porridge made with water and a sweetener (6.6), and after 13.8. Real shame...It was lovely. Guess I'll just stick with my egg on a slice of Bergen..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
only one way according to my hubby - in a pan cooked on low for hours with water only stirred with one of them porridge whatyamcallits -
A spurtle, Does hubby also keep it in a porridge draw, And of course once it becomes thick and sets you can always cut it into slices and have it fried for breakfast like in the old days. :)

Reactions: lovinglife

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been eating porridge for breakfast, sometimes with semi and sometimes with whole milk. Every day it brought my levels down - until last week, when my levels increased to between 7.5 and eight. So, am a bit undecided!

Outsiderspd

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Atomic oatmeal" was a staple of mine for years until BS increased. This is whole rolled oats, spices, water, salt, vanilla extract, flax seeds, chia seeds and etc. However, mix well with spoon before cooking (10-15sec). This adds a new level of creaminess! Then I would add heavy dairy or coconut cream or full fat yogurt after cooking (microwave or stove) as well as berries, sometimes honey or maple syrup. Most important would be a big gob or two of nut butter like natural peanut, almond, cashew etc. or say butter or coconut oil. This slows digestion a bit. Without this "gob" blood sugar spikes harder and hunger ensues within 1-2 hours for me.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unlikely to try it but Tesco now sell frozen porridge. Unsure how that would work or timings in the microwave. I have used Flavahans porridge and only takes 2m in the microwave.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A spurtle, Does hubby also keep it in a porridge draw, And of course once it becomes thick and sets you can always cut it into slices and have it fried for breakfast like in the old days. :)
No - but his dad did - he remembers cutting into slices for breakfast when he was little - sometimes even for tea - hubby is the youngest of 10 and they didn't have much so sometimes the porridge drawer was all they had to eat.

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the
farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.

My discussion point is - what do members think - does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just

I make mine with water then add a dessert spoon of double cream, yummy

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unlikely to try it but Tesco now sell frozen porridge. Unsure how that would work or timings in the microwave. I have used Flavahans porridge and only takes 2m in the microwave.

I found even the no added sugar instant porridges not only expensive but always spiked me. If you put ordinary oats in water in the fridge over night you just need to heat them up in the microwave next morning add a dessert spoonful of double cream and some blueberries. Cheap and lush

Bob Falfa

Porridge, with semi skimmed Cravendale....Never water. I know it reduces the carbs
I have a preference for Rolled Jumbo Oats there are a couple of Irish varieties, One you can get in the tesco/asda of the world , the other seems to have vanished
I have tried the Banana and Strawberry, Apple and Blackberry, they were all right, the Sweet Cinnamon,far too sweet, I personally would never consider the Golden syrup ones
Salt and/or Pepper the only topping, Yes I'm Scots

In olden times porridge was made in quantity(for the house) poured into a drawer left to set , when set a slide could be cut and taken to work .....Not a lot of people know that

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just

Personally the oats (>60gms carb per 100gms) would spike my BG much more than any sugar in milk (approx 5gms carb per 100ml of 1% milk).

girvanh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Water and Salt with a dash of semi skimmed milk at the end but has to be decent porridge oats, none of that cheap stuff or alternatives

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Thank you so much all of you for your contributions - nine years (?) ago Starbucks commissioned the most intensive research on porridge oats and were so surprised at its beneficial effect upon all forms of health and illness that they made it their No.1 choice on their breakfast.

For myself having come off all meds for Diabetes because they were found to be injurious to health, especially
those of us with Congestive Heart Failure, I found that porridge made with low-fat high calcium milk, steadied
my blood sugar readings at 6.1 mml which is fine for me because I start to have the effects of hypo on 5.9
or less. Previously, listening to all of the twaddle on Bananas, etc., etc., - I was always at about 10 - 11 on the
smallest portions.

Hope this might encourage others to give porridge a try.

Reactions: Daphne917

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspired by @Rachox i make a version without oats which also helps with fibre intake. Tbsp each of coconut flour, chia seeds, flaxseed, chopped or ground nuts, almond flakes and anything else similar I have and a bit of sweetener. Sometimes a bit of cinnamon or turmeric. Mixed and cooked in a pan with unsweetened coconut milk. I find it a bit more flavoursome and a better texture with more ingredients

Lily1042

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be managing okay with porridge made with almond milk and a couple of chopped berries. It hasn't appeared to spike as I have been checking the before and after readings. Might be a cheaper option to make with water and serve with cream though.

Bob Falfa

"decent porridge oats, none of that cheap stuff or alternatives".......Totally agree,there is one relatively well know brand that is truly vile

I have crushed 4 mini shredded wheats and put them in the porridge prior to cooking

Slightly O/T .Porridge is occasionally used as an Alternative medicine , for eczema .......Throw a third or half a box in a bath,

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Hello @BaliRob The best option is with water as the lactose in milk contains carbohydrates which will elevate blood glucose levels, as for taste, well full fat milk wins hands down every time for me :)
Hahaha I did not really want to hear that - BUT if low-fat - less carbs ?? What do you think please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahaha I did not really want to hear that - BUT if low-fat - less carbs ?? What do you think please?
Not quite sure what the question is here but low fat generally means more carbs in most items so if you’re sticking with milk I’d go for full fat not skim. My bigger problem would be the oats.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite sure what the question is here but low fat generally means more carbs in most items so if you’re sticking with milk I’d go for full fat not skim. My bigger problem would be the oats.

It may be worth trying overnight groats. They make a small difference - not enough to work for me but they might for some people