Find it difficult to loose weight

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on this forum for a few years now in the background at a difficult time in life - menopause. I have lost a bit of weight then back on with a vengeance. At the same time my husband has been loosing weight going low carb and looks like a toyboy. I am torn with cooking for kids (carbs involved) but at least we mainly cook from scratch. I thought I’ll try a group with slimming world. Lost a bit but how on earth am I supposed to eat carbs and fruit. It’s nonsense but the focus helps (a bit). I’m actually surprised they haven’t moved on a bit. My blood pressure is going up which is not surprising with the amount of stress I’m putting myself and all the constant background noise around healthy, eat well and better and even more now with new year challenges.

Reactions: zauberflote

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Press send a bit too quick ... is anyone feeling the same?

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi Sophie, my weight is barely moving although my bg numbers have dropped from low twenties to average of 10 so far. I’ve decided to lock my bathroom scales away & focus on bg levels as the weight thing sets me on a downward spiral.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Press send a bit too quick ... is anyone feeling the same?

Hi Sophie, I’ve BTDT when kids were young, but withOUT any high BG’s. The stress is overwhelming. There was no US obesity epidemic when my kids were growing up, so there wasn’t the added pressure. And my reason for weight loss was an upcoming adults-only family cruise, on which bathing suits would definitely be worn. All my sil’s were and are (decades later) very skinny, and hubby with them, so vanity made me do it. I wish I could give you a gift like that cruise...
Hugs for you caring for your family and yourself! chris

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sophie, I’ve BTDT when kids were young, but withOUT any high BG’s. The stress is overwhelming. There was no US obesity epidemic when my kids were growing up, so there wasn’t the added pressure. And my reason for weight loss was an upcoming adults-only family cruise, on which bathing suits would definitely be worn. All my sil’s were and are (decades later) very skinny, and hubby with them, so vanity made me do it. I wish I could give you a gift like that cruise...
Hugs for you caring for your family and yourself! chris

Hello Chris what is BTdt?

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(BTDT = Been There, Done That)

Also, I support the idea of focusing on blood sugar #s rather than weight. If you've ruled out other issues (e.g. hypothyroid), I'd keep on low carbing/eating to your meter, exercising healthily, and try to focus on glucose not pounds as much as possible. You may or may not lose weight that way, but keeping your sugars in check will help either way.

For what it's worth, I have heard a *lot* of women say what you are saying--that the dietary changes they've made have caused their husbands to lose gobs of weight while their own has hardly budged. I suspect hormones.

Reactions: Prem51

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Sweet_Sophie so sorry I didn’t get back here sooner. @Glink filled you in, thanks glink!
Sophie, how are you doing?

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thank you both. I had googled it on the off chance and understood. I’m not doing great, a few sabotage days. I ruin my good days by snacking on undesirable items which I working on. Also I think that my stress levels and thereforecortisol may affect this too as I’m not in a good place atm.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes thank you both. I had googled it on the off chance and understood. I’m not doing great, a few sabotage days. I ruin my good days by snacking on undesirable items which I working on. Also I think that my stress levels and thereforecortisol may affect this too as I’m not in a good place atm.

Oh stress (and stress eating) was what got me into this mess, and a few other health issues too. Yes, if the stress is not self-limiting (my adult PITA kid was moved out!), then stress management is key.
Please don’t beat yourself up over lapses. Pick yourself up, dust off, and continue the good work! We all fall off the wagon.

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

Tigernash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been on this forum for a few years now in the background at a difficult time in life - menopause. I have lost a bit of weight then back on with a vengeance. At the same time my husband has been loosing weight going low carb and looks like a toyboy. I am torn with cooking for kids (carbs involved) but at least we mainly cook from scratch. I thought I’ll try a group with slimming world. Lost a bit but how on earth am I supposed to eat carbs and fruit. It’s nonsense but the focus helps (a bit). I’m actually surprised they haven’t moved on a bit. My blood pressure is going up which is not surprising with the amount of stress I’m putting myself and all the constant background noise around healthy, eat well and better and even more now with new year challenges.

Hi Sophie

Keep it simple. Firstly, write down everything you eat and drink and how much for two weeks. Boring I know sorry but it really helps. Then Look at the added sugars in your diet, anything over 5gs per 100g/100ml should be considered added sugar. Start making small reductions and alternatives. Make these changes every 3-4 weeks.
Measure around you belly button every 2-4 weeks, you could lose up to a centimeter every month, depending on how much fat there is.
Start adding a little muscle. Muscle helps boost your metabolism, which will help burn extra fat off.

Don't think about going 'on' a diet as eventually you'll come 'off' it.

It's about creating small habit changes.

The journey of a 1000 steps starts with just 1

good luck

cured

cured

It seems that your issue is not knowing what to eat. Have a look at the Patrick Holford website. He is a reputable dietician who focuses on a low GL, carb, fat and calorie diet that is specifically designed to lower your blood sugar. You can eat as much as you want of the right stuff!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that your issue is not knowing what to eat. Have a look at the Patrick Holford website. He is a reputable dietician who focuses on a low GL, carb, fat and calorie diet that is specifically designed to lower your blood sugar. You can eat as much as you want of the right stuff!
Wikipedia;

"Holford has been the subject of criticism for his promotion of medically dubious techniques and products including hair analysis, his support of the now struck off doctor Andrew Wakefield, and advocating the use of "non-drug alternatives for mental health" for which he has been given an award by the Church of Scientology-backed Citizens Commission on Human Rights.[12]
In 2006 Patrick Holford was discovered to be using his PR advisor to delete content on his Wikipedia page which was critical.[13]"

Reactions: Prem51

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling your pain! I am going through some weird stomach problems at the moment and think I am definitely experiencing the dreaded 'M' effects. My sweats are getting much worse and the anxiety of it all, arggh! I tried SW too but as you say it is too much conflict with the carbs/fruit, etc. Got my T2D check in a couple of weeks and going to have a bit of a chat about the menopause too I think. Rest assured, you are not alone!