Sientists come up with yet another diet to save the world.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Going back to the last war and rationing, , I believe many people kept rabbits for (presumably unrationed !) meat. Certainly as a very young child I vividly remember going to a school friend's house and being shown their "dinner" rabbits who lived in a couple of hutches in their little yard - they apparently fed the inhabitants on tea leaves which presumably didn't affect their flavour! o_Oo_O

So maybe we'd all simply just have to (re)learn how to be a little more self sufficient again - keeping both rabbits and chickens n small spaces where feasible would be another possible source of our meat, and going back to regularly eating more parts of our animals and birds, e.g. offal, would mean less wastage.

Robbity
They did indeed , both my sets of grandparents kept rabbits for this reason and my ex-farming stock paternal Grandma also kept chickens and grew her own veg in the garden of a small urban terraced house. She didn't get egg coupons in the war she was given chicken feed rations instead and sold eggs to the neighbours. Gone off on a tangent here but fascinating stuff! She used to clean the grate with the wing of a chicken used for meat too. It's another world where nothing was wasted and no euphemisms about where food came from.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not science its epidemiology, the nutritional leader Walter Willett has presided over Harvard Nutrition since 1991, their advice has not exactly helped the world since then. Stordalen , the creator is a terminally ill vegan. The funders are the majr processd food companies of the world. The only reason any meat is included at all is so that they can pretend its not a vegan plan. these vignettes are quite funny.

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/1085951235319058432

Reactions: BloodThirsty
M

Member496333

This is not science its epidemiology, the nutritional leader Walter Willett has presided over Harvard Nutrition since 1991, their advice has not exactly helped the world since then. Stordalen , the creator is a terminally ill vegan. The funders are the majr processd food companies of the world. The only reason any meat is included at all is so that they can pretend its not a vegan plan. these vignettes are quite funny.

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/1085951235319058432

Bravo. Thread crown goes to you :)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eh no. I’d be on many meds and heading g towards insulin and who knows what. I’ll stick with doing it my way Ultra LCHF keto and feeling fab!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well the consensus seems to be just another load of BS and that does not stand for Blood Sugars either. My thoughts on first reading it.

lindisfel

Expert
Sugar and tobacco were also rationed, severely, during the war. You can't compare apples and oranges.
Politicians were not the pathetic imitations of today, they were British pragmatists and the bread supply was sensibly manipulated to include essential vitamins.

lindisfel

Expert
This vegan/'S.D.A. type' propaganda keeps getting trotted out!
It needs challenging scientifically but their propaganda machine keeps grinding out this same rubbish, now they are saving the planet!!!...it's more assertion. What! 14 grams of red meat a day and less than half and egg per day!! It's a joke.

D.

Last edited:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Hi @johngreen, It is an avoidable fact that raising cattle and other animals for meat is quite inefficient compared to plants in terms of land usage. That has not stopped scientists looking at protein sources such as fried crickets and the like and the production of protein from fungal sources, (where are all these on the above scientists lists)?
Considering that some zoos are no longer giving their animals fruit to eat because the increasing sweetness of cultivars is causing dental problems in animals, I am not keen on having fruit in increased amounts.
I envisage tall city buildings partly shrouded with vertical gardens as a space saving measure as well as perhaps a way to save on temperature control in buildings. Time to build or renovate to allow roof top gardens.
Oh, be a love and pick some basil off the window sill plant please !! The local swimming pool have been turned into an aquaculture centre so we are having the fish from there tonight.!!
I have eaten grasshopper in Mexico. It was an acquired taste between burnt fish and..well, grasshopper I presume.

A plate of fried insects for tea ?...not sure it will catch on.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have eaten grasshopper in Mexico. It was an acquired taste between burnt fish and..well, grasshopper I presume.

I recall a Leunig cartoon where they are trying to breed a 100 legged chicken. When the result is finally achieved they ask a person to try some of the cooked legs and he says: " Tastes like centipede "!!

lindisfel

Expert
I don't know Patrick? Some of us have devoured bee spit for years until we couldn't manage our b.g.!
It's just cultural, however I don't fancy a worm burger instead of a steak burger..but they are apparently of equivalent nutritional value.

Vegans won't eat worms even if they feel unloved by Paleos! :)
If the worms were made from Tofu I suppose they would be happy with Tofu worm burgers!

It is really strange how they try to imitate the taste and structure of meat products.
D.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well if you'r hankering after it again it's available.

eat grub.jpg

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @hankjam, Perhaps she and her hubbie need to lead the world and start on this food plan right away, See how long they last .....

Reactions: Charis1213

BloodThirsty

Hi @hankjam, Perhaps she and her hubbie need to lead the world and start on this food plan right away, See how long they last .....
What is really crass is that the Stordalen EAT Foundation board consists of her, her husband, his three kids, a mergers and acquisitions lawyer, and an art curator (our Pete does like his art):
http://www.stordalenfoundation.no/

Nepotism rules OK, particularly in the cases of Trump and Stordalen.
Difficult to choose between them methinks.

Ponchu

I think this diet is suitable for the majority on this planet, but have filled in the comments box on the BBC website, stating my nutritional needs and the consequences, to me and many fellow type 2 diabetics, if we followed this diet.

And it will exponentially increase the number of Type 2 Diabetics.

This helps Pharma and the Diabetes industry.

Win win

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting interview with an investigative journalist on BBC Radio 4 Farming programme just before 6am about this research. I wasn't quite awake so didn't hear the start of the interview properly. She said the research was biased and a load of c**p (that is my precis of what she said). Also the diet would leave us deficient in many vitamins not just B12 and what we should eat is unprocessed food and sustainably grown meat, fish eggs etc. Very interesting interview and I will listen to it properly when I get home from work.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It is a sustained continual onslaught on animal protein. This then gets into the psyche so that the average person believes there is a serious problem. The proposed diet offers a fig leaf meat / fish whilst promoting a recipe for high blood sugar, high insulin and digestive issues for many. Red meat consumption is down already with the rise in poultry. I am yet to see a human dietary intervention that works better than nature. None of the sweeter fruit is the same as the original, flour is not the same etc.

A truthful discussion is required, if meat causes 15% of the emissions, is it just me, but why not focus on the 85%....In addition we know that "their" method depletes soil, so is it over simplistic to increase animal numbers (more jobs), in Britain for example use some of the vast land masses for cows, and where this is not possible sheep who can cope with poorer quality soil. When I look at the red meat section in supermarkets there is plenty in the UK, so worldwide is some of the issue a distribution / fair share problem. Meat and 2 veg (low GI) is a much better plate. Clever people always put up straw man arguments for their way of eating, that anecdotally correlates with "our" worst period of lifestyle diseases in history - no society which has imported the soy, grains and over processed foods, can demonstrably show better lifestyle disease numbers.

Honesty is the best policy, let's get real facts on the table, no twists and turns, no relative risks, no hidden agendas or industry backings.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've taken another look at this diet. Look at it from the perspective of the processed food industry you want to be able to include your foods in this new Utopia and you are sponsoring this entire thing.

What is your list
Grains, soy, seed oils - obviously , but some others are less obvious

palm oil - a key ingredient in many spreads
potato- they use the starches in thickenings
Lard - its the core ingredient in pies
added sugar - everywhere
peanuts - big market for peanut butter ( and the peanut industry is a sponsor)
other nuts ( almond milk anyone?

You actually want to send the message its all about health and hopefully reinforce the meat = death story but frankly you aren't that interested in how so
fruit and legunes get a big lift

having finished all this you then add a teaspoon of the meat proteins - this makes the whole thing look scientific when really its just a processed food advert. 1500 of the 2500 calories are your junk foods, of the other 1000 only 434 is the real food. the rest being vegetables you can ship around the world at vast profits.

The end result is about 96% RDA using about 2500 calories. In practise 700 of those are total uselses junk so if you got rid of some of the wheat, all of h soy, and seed oils , some of the nuts, most of the legumes and all of the fruits you would STILL be at 96% nutrients but with only 1800 calories {corrected the 86% was a typo)
so basically by eating this diet you will simply put weight on by eating calories with no practical value .

Currently lets say 22 BMI represents an " ideal" BMI - only about 6 countries in the world are actally at that level led by Burkino Faso ! Looking at the world' BMI I calculate that the average human all 7 billion of them is carrying round 7lbs of excess fat - which has convrt to 38 Kg of grains

Interestingly your actual animal foods + above ground veg provide 434 calories and 60% of RDA. Doubling these tiny quatities would give you 80% of RDA that leaves approximately 1800 calories to find the other 20%

What this diet basically says is that if you eat it you will be eating 700 calories per day excess of your requirements so you will get diabetes, obesity, cvd, alzheimers etc and you will fail.

It is nothing more than a marketing document for big foods.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The thing is with conspiracy theories some times there real.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They aren't even bothering to hide it - On what planet does a normal set of nutrition advice specify that it MUST include potatoes, palm oil, added sugars , lard and peanuts . each of these foods is simply a subset of a category type. Once you read it like this you see that the entire thing is utterly amateurish and arrogant in the extreme.

Last edited: