T2 - NHS is Listening. At last!

set-in-stone

cheers Set in stone.

very interesting.
And the comments below on the beeb made me chuckle AND despair... at the range of knowledge out there...because that ignorance was me a few months back.:bigtears:

IF the thinking is low carbs is good...and it does seem to be,
i can see the wisdom of the ND.

But if it's mainly about the cost factor of what seems, by many reports to be a growing epidemic
wouldn't the NHS save a shed load of money if we just educated more people that cutting the carbs and tweaking their diet, could add years of trouble free (aka diabetes free) enjoyable living..?

All those things many on here know, but i'm just finding out now from here and the diet doctors infographic re glucose levels and better food choices, etc
(all be it too late for me, but not for so many others )

if we only check when problems suggest an issue, it seems to me we miss a great way to prevent / limit the disease itself by some sort of early screening program....my bloods suggested then confirmed the bad news, but i know many are PRE, diabetic,

Wouldn't such a screening make MORE people, pre diabetic, YES..and at an earlier stage..
The benefits would be...no need for meds at that point, just some good advice and a move to more regular monitoring.....perhaps ?

it seems to have worked for more then a good few on here, less carbs + more active = less meds and accompanying issues, seems a decent trade off, me thinks.

On that note the beebs closed comments but this one below still caught my eye..( and it's NOT me, before anyone asks...LoL :D)
(years since i was in a Gym, recently looked into joining one local, wonder if many would not have the nerve to even pop in ?
think i would have liked that to be a part of my desmonds course..so many seemed ill informed and if i am honest, a little lack lustre in appreciating the impact this disease COULD have...)

221. Posted byoldboy44
on1 Dec 2018 17:52
Given most towns of reasonable size have sports/pool complexes and staff all funded by the Taxpayer. What about these local amenities staging regular fitness classes -say 3 mornings a week - so those with Diabetes/lifestyle issues can be encouraged with others to improve their fitness/mobility levels.What about some robust Blue Sky thinking and action instead of lumbering the NHS yet again?

I think the multifaceted approach is a good thing. There are some people not sold on the idea of low card, but may be willing to try the ND if prescribed by their Doctor. This could be a less threatening way in

set-in-stone

It seems Isobel is the poster girl of ND and while we must all applaud her amazing u-turn and all the effort she must undoubtedly have put into her recovered health I would be interested in the stories of others who have successfully and not so successfully completed ND.

As an aside and just as a personal bugbear, the 'I did it so you can do it' as a generalisation really gets my goat. Just as LCHF, Keto, IF or bariatric surgery isn't suitable for some people we must add ND to the list.

It does take time to see results. So yeah, follow ups / reports are needed. If the NHS is in on it, their research departments had better get to work!

set-in-stone

cheers Set in stone.

very interesting.
And the comments below on the beeb made me chuckle AND despair... at the range of knowledge out there...because that ignorance was me a few months back.:bigtears:

IF the thinking is low carbs is good...and it does seem to be,
i can see the wisdom of the ND.

But if it's mainly about the cost factor of what seems, by many reports to be a growing epidemic
wouldn't the NHS save a shed load of money if we just educated more people that cutting the carbs and tweaking their diet, could add years of trouble free (aka diabetes free) enjoyable living..?

All those things many on here know, but i'm just finding out now from here and the diet doctors infographic re glucose levels and better food choices, etc
(all be it too late for me, but not for so many others )

if we only check when problems suggest an issue, it seems to me we miss a great way to prevent / limit the disease itself by some sort of early screening program....my bloods suggested then confirmed the bad news, but i know many are PRE, diabetic,

Wouldn't such a screening make MORE people, pre diabetic, YES..and at an earlier stage..
The benefits would be...no need for meds at that point, just some good advice and a move to more regular monitoring.....perhaps ?

it seems to have worked for more then a good few on here, less carbs + more active = less meds and accompanying issues, seems a decent trade off, me thinks.

On that note the beebs closed comments but this one below still caught my eye..( and it's NOT me, before anyone asks...LoL :D)
(years since i was in a Gym, recently looked into joining one local, wonder if many would not have the nerve to even pop in ?
think i would have liked that to be a part of my desmonds course..so many seemed ill informed and if i am honest, a little lack lustre in appreciating the impact this disease COULD have...)

221. Posted byoldboy44
on1 Dec 2018 17:52
Given most towns of reasonable size have sports/pool complexes and staff all funded by the Taxpayer. What about these local amenities staging regular fitness classes -say 3 mornings a week - so those with Diabetes/lifestyle issues can be encouraged with others to improve their fitness/mobility levels.What about some robust Blue Sky thinking and action instead of lumbering the NHS yet again?

The NHS is really not in the business of saving shed loads of money. Otherwise they will be at the forefront of low carb. Some people will make good progress with the ND, read / seek more information, join this site, learn about LCHF, word will spread, etc. A good start, me thinks

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It does take time to see results. So yeah, follow ups / reports are needed. If the NHS is in on it, their research departments had better get to work!

But it won't be the NHS doing the research or the follow ups. As far as I know everything has been outsourced. I may be wrong so don't quote me but the word 'Counterpoint' has been mentioned.

set-in-stone

@Guzzler - I believe you. Sadly. But maybe the NHS will ensure this is done and nothing cooked up? The data collected should be made available to the public. In the interest of the nation. 5000 patients is a large group to silence.

Excerpt from the announcement:

NHS England has also announced it's expanding a programme to prevent people developing type 2 diabetes.

The health service currently spends around 10% of its budget on treating diabetes in England.

Up to 5,000 patients will be prescribed the diet by the NHS initially. They will also receive follow-up support.

Reactions: Rosie B

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler - I believe you. Sadly. But maybe the NHS will ensure this is done and nothing cooked up? The data collected should be made available to the public. In the interest of the nation. 5000 patients is a large group to silence.

Excerpt from the announcement:

NHS England has also announced it's expanding a programme to prevent people developing type 2 diabetes.

The health service currently spends around 10% of its budget on treating diabetes in England.

Up to 5,000 patients will be prescribed the diet by the NHS initially. They will also receive follow-up support.

The devil is in the detail. The NHS will prescribe the treatment but who will manage that treatment wrt to education, support and follow ups?

set-in-stone

@Guzzler - Perhaps the GP and DN ? About time they were made to see the light, too.
Majority adhere to NHS guidelines on prescribing meds including statins. ND could form part of the new guidelines. A great start and in the right direction.
And will save lives. After all the health and well-being of their patients is what they signed up for!

I read on DD -or somewhere else- that the Doctors in one of the Nordic countries now prescribe / state LC as one of the treatment options for treating diabetes?
I am praying the NHS will eventually get there.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler - Perhaps the GP and DN ? About time they were made to see the light, too.
Majority adhere to NHS guidelines on prescribing meds including statins. ND could form part of the new guidelines. A great start and in the right direction.
And will save lives. After all the health and well-being of their patients is what they signed up for!

I read on DD -or somewhere else- that the Doctors in one of the Nordic countries now prescribe / state LC as one of the treatment options for treating diabetes?
I am praying the NHS will eventually get there.

Actually the ND proves that T2D reversal is highly probable. Which is a good thing.

Where it differs from low carb/keto/IF is probably the maintenance phase where they recommend returning to the Eatwell plate guidelines. Which in my opinion will likely return many back to T2D levels again...

What has not changed is the fear of saturated fats and ketones. Hence all the efforts to obscure the fact that ketosis is still the underlying mechanism used to achieve the fat loss in ND.

NHS is still quite a few steps away from truly leveraging on nutritional ketosis, to improve metabolic health and flexibility.

M

Member496333

Sadly, the NHS are incapable or unwilling to save money on diabetes treatment, irrespective of the headlines. I believe there is too much influence from organisations who’s motivation is making money treating sick people. Healthy people aren’t profitable. If the goal were really to save money and make people better, GP’s wouldn’t be dishing out advice that promotes limb amputations.

Sorry if I appear overly negative, but that’s the situation as I see it :(

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't read every post so not sure if this has already been said but I'd be worried about what's in the shakes. From Jason Fung's The Obesity Code I gather that artificial sweeteners also produce an insulin response even though they may not raise blood glucose.

If the shakes contain artificial sweeteners and there is an insulin response, then if I understand correctly the diet won't have the desired effect of reducing insulin resistance.

Reactions: Rosie B and ringi