Type 2 Should I fall off the wagon

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
Prosecco shouldn't be a problem, 2 grams of carbs per glass... ;) And you can still bake, there's loads of recepies over on dietdoctor.com... From chocolate cake to keto breads. And Nigella has low carb recepies... http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipe-collection/low-carb-food.html And Jamie's goodness can be adjusted quite often... Just use an alternative for the carby bits, like spiralised courgette, cauliflower rice or konjac pasta. The meat/fish/poultry and veggies don't need much adjusting.

I have a feeling you're overrestricting maybe? There's so much great food out there. And once you have keto-ed for a while your insulin resistance will most likely improve, so you probably won't have to keto forever, and switch to moderate low carb. (May feel like it though.)

I'm assuming you'll be walking a lot in Italy. Just try to balance out the additional carbs by walking them off? You already seem to feel like you're going to fail, though there's no actual failing about it... If you plan this in properly, as in, spread it out over the day/week/fortnight, rather than just binging everything you can get your hands on in a single afternoon... I don't see much of a problem. Pace yourself, enjoy yourself with daily treats, and have a good time. No guilt-trips, just trips. :)
I am restricting myself yes but I have found that I am very sensitive and can’t eat any fruit at all not even a handful of berries, I can’t eat natural yogurt, any pulses, chick peas or pearl barley. Maybe when I’ve been doing this for a while I could perhaps tolerate more food....

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in September 2018 with a hba1c of 66. Just had my new hba1c and it is now 41. I follow the keto diet and have done this through sheer determination. I don't enjoy being restricted but stick with it through will power and the fact that I feel incredible.

My question is.... I want to book a holiday to Sorrento, but I know that I will be very restricted in what I can eat. (I struggle in British restaurants and would rather not eat out). I really want to fully experience the holiday with no hold barred. Should I eat anything and everything for a week and start again when I come back?

What would you do
@Jillyfl bearing in mind that I have a slightly more relaxed attitude to low carbing than some and will probably be shot down in flames for this suggestion but you will be on holiday, you’re T2, presumably diet controlled, so what is the worse that can happen - your BS may rise a little but it will soon come back to your ‘normal’ when you get home and start back on your low carb/keto diet. I went on an 11 night cruise last November and managed to eat low carb breakfasts and lunches but had afternoon tea most days and 3 course dinners however when I had an unscheduled hba1c test (GP decided to do it for some reason) just after Christmas it had gone down from 37 to 36. Enjoy your holiday, leave your test kit at home and, if you can’t find any low carb choices, don’t worry.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jillyfl You've had a variety of detailed responses to your question, so I won't add to those, but I do have a suggestion that you ask yourself , what I consider to be important questions, before you decide what to do. I adding these questions here, I'm not asking you to respond "out loud", but just to consider them and answer for yourself truthfull, because, to an extent these two questions are fairly pivotal in the decision making process.

The first question is to ask yourself about your relationship with food. Is food addictive for you, and maybe particularly, are carbs addictive for you. There's absolutely no shame in admiting they are addictive to you, because it's very, very common indeed. Whatever an individual's addicition is, they usually find it hard to stop once they start, with whatever they're eating, or simply be drawn back to that taste/sensation hit time and again.

If the honest answer to that is that they are, then the second question becomes even more critical. If you elect to take your eye off the ball, will you be able to get back on track in a timely manner, at home. Some can, and some asmit the alien location, then returning to a more usual routine makes it easier. In other words they'll not ba "exposed to" the same temptations at home, but let's face it, there's very little to eat in Italy (or anywhere else for that matter), that can't be obtained in UK, and if your addicition is to bread, pasta, icecream, then those options are present in every supermarket you go into.

At the moment you say, farily clearly, in my view, that you currently resent your way of eating. Will you resent it more or less, when you have tasted the manna from heaven, whatever that is.

OK, that would be three questions, but I've never been a less is more girl. :)

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
@Jillyfl You've had a variety of detailed responses to your question, so I won't add to those, but I do have a suggestion that you ask yourself , what I consider to be important questions, before you decide what to do. I adding these questions here, I'm not asking you to respond "out loud", but just to consider them and answer for yourself truthfull, because, to an extent these two questions are fairly pivotal in the decision making process.

The first question is to ask yourself about your relationship with food. Is food addictive for you, and maybe particularly, are carbs addictive for you. There's absolutely no shame in admiting they are addictive to you, because it's very, very common indeed. Whatever an individual's addicition is, they usually find it hard to stop once they start, with whatever they're eating, or simply be drawn back to that taste/sensation hit time and again.

If the honest answer to that is that they are, then the second question becomes even more critical. If you elect to take your eye off the ball, will you be able to get back on track in a timely manner, at home. Some can, and some asmit the alien location, then returning to a more usual routine makes it easier. In other words they'll not ba "exposed to" the same temptations at home, but let's face it, there's very little to eat in Italy (or anywhere else for that matter), that can't be obtained in UK, and if your addicition is to bread, pasta, icecream, then those options are present in every supermarket you go into.

At the moment you say, farily clearly, in my view, that you currently resent your way of eating. Will you resent it more or less, when you have tasted the manna from heaven, whatever that is.

OK, that would be three questions, but I've never been a less is more girl. :)
Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply in great length. Indeed thank you everyone for your varied responses. The answer is I am a foodie!! I love food but only good food, i.e. carefully prepared and flavoursome food. I have been cooking food from scratch for years so cooking keto recipes from scratch isn’t a problem. I hate processed food. I am well known for my baking and I have a sweet tooth. My dream would be to go a a Michelin star restaurant and taste what the really accomplished chefs can do. Food is my life and I love watching master chef and any kind of cookery programme. Having diabetes was a real blow but I am also a very strong willed and strong minded person. I have been told that if anyone can reverse my type 2 then I can.

I eat some wonderful keto food though because I am still able to cook. I just miss certain foods and cakes and desserts. I would be able to return to my restricted life after my holiday. In truth I don’t know if faced with all the temptations that I would actually give in to them. I test my blood glucose 5 or 6 times a day and have the mysugr app. I get upset if my numbers go into the 7’s because this means I’m in amber and not green. I will just have to see how I go on when I get there ‍♀️

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you love baking and cakes,why not carry on - which is what I've done. Just change some the ingredients to low carb ones; so use nut and seed flours, e.g.almond flour or ground almonds, coconut flour ,walnut or hazelnut meal, etc and use alternative sweeteners - eythritol/stevia or if you don't keep dogs, try xylitol.

Have a look at the Diabetic Good Baking website, or Diet Doctor. There are dozens of other great cookery websites to inspire you with their recipes.

Robbity

PS Don't consider falling or even stepping off any wagons, just arrange for a slight dietary diversion instead!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jillyfl, I went on holiday to northern Italy last year, and we ate in several different restaurants over the course of a week. We found that it was easy to avoid carbs if we wanted to, just avoid the pasta course! Oh and the pizza! The one thing I had was the delicious gelato, just had to try one or two! Mostly you can eat low carb with no problem. Enjoy Italy.

Reactions: Daphne917