Caused lasting damage?

Cbmod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last night my blood sugar would not come down and was extremely high. I was testing and injecting every half an hour to an hour. I changed my insulin site and insulin. I was monitoring ketones throughout, which went from 0.9 to 1.8 and then started reducing again at 1.5. Because the ketones were reducing, I carried on trying to bring my blood sugar down rather than seek help, as I knew at least some insulin was working. Essentially, I spent 5 hours with an extremely high blood sugar before it would come down at all. Would this one episode have caused me significant damage? Do I need to be extra vigilant on keeping very tight control for the next couple of days/weeks?

The cause turned out to be bent tubing. I've been type 1 for 16 years, but have never been in this situation before- should I have acted differently?

Thanks for any advice!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Would this one episode have caused me significant damage?

Nah, I doubt it's done any damage at all.

All these horror stories we read about neuropathy, retinopathy etc etc tend to be things which develop gradually over long periods, months, years of being too high for days and weeks on end.

A 5 hour blip won't do anything in the wider scheme of things, assuming that you're generally running in a decent 4 to 8'ish range most of the time and not flying around at 10 to 15 all the time.

I wouldn't go extra-vigilant, just run your usual routine.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cbmod . Fully concur with Scott. Only lesson to be learnt for future is. Check your tubing earlier;)
We all live and learn, it’s what makes life fun.

Cbmod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had eaten a lot or carbs (I'm trying to stop but sleep deprivation lead me there...) so I didn't detect it was more than a very bad carb guess for far too long! I will definitely take your advice in future and change my tubing the second I realise I'm not coming down.

Thank you!

Reactions: therower