Do you find that not many people understand T2?

anniep

I remembered another meal with a T2 friend, who happily ate their way through lasagne, a large portion of garlic bread and a cappuchino coffee, but refused the small chocolate that came with it 'because of their diabetes'!

As we said upthread, often it is not bad choice, but lack of understanding, this person really doesn't realise that bread and pasta have to be taken into account too..

tio

I must admit, i've been t2 for 16 months and it's still a mystery to me,,,understanding seems to fly in the face of everything your taught about diet and how your body works with the food you eat, i had been trying new food styles, low carb and the likes, and become frustrated after discussing this with the dieticion who feel that it's not required and excessive, just eat a normal healthy diet comes the warcry,,,the normal healthy diet is not working thank you,,,,,,very frustrating. tio

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
One of the biggest issues I find is the lack of understanding of Type 2 diabetes.

Why would anyone need that information ? unless effected by it
with a relation , friend work mate ect ?

Do you know the effect of a Brain Lesion ? or Lesion on the spine ?
Or How many kinds of incontinences there are?
Problems getting around in a wheelchair ?

The same as a previous poster
Before I became diabetic I did not know was any different types :oops:
Also before i became a wheelchair user i did not have a clue on the lack of access :oops:

We all live in our own little pond

Bob

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Bob, get your point, but the reason for the original post was in relation to work colleagues, maybe that is not explicit, but I do feel that diabetes is a much more common disease than the things you mention.

But, yes, we are in our little pool - and it does make many people feel better to share their frustrations with those who understand.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
HpprKM said:
but I do feel that diabetes is a much more common disease than the things you mention
But I should say I could be wrong, and certainly not wishing to detract from the importance of these issues.

bowell

Dislikes
post was in relation to work colleagues,
If you feel that they need to know ,Up to you to inform them

When i was working i told my Employer and a close workmate
over a period of time he asked me more questions on the subject
Other than that did not feel i needed to inform anyone else ,
if anyone asked i would freely tell them i am diabetic

I find it easer to say im diabetic than incontinent
that one always comes back with a funny look :shock:

Incontinence can also happen from ...YES Diabetes :|
Mine is from my spinal injury

incontinence costs about 2% of the national health care budget
18 Jan 2010 ... Dealing with incontinence costs the NHS around £80 million* per year Just in product costs, and with an aging population ?
Ref:
http://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/portal/pls/portal/!PORTAL.wwpob_page.show?_docname=5516631.PDF

HpprKM

Dislikes
I did tell them - did not make much difference. I am not making a big issue out this, I understand why most people do not understand diabetes, I did not myself until diagnosed, and still do not to a greater extent as it is a complicated disease and different for each person, but it was just a post where people could, hopefully, share their frustrations - not with the implication that every one should understand it. Hope this makes sense :D . Wishing you well.

christinaa

I was told I had type 2 in Feb this year - after I had had a blood test for other codition and then a nurse checked my feet - NOTHING - I had been told that 'my' team for diabetes would be keeping regular checks on me - Nothing - apart from eye test [ which I had already booked myself prior to knowing and my normal dentist check up. Oh I was told to check on the web for information and to follow gi diet and eat breakfast which I must admit I had never been able to but now have.
So I am not at all sure what to expect or do and after reading some of these emails I am not alone :?:

bowell

Dislikes
hopefully, share their frustrations - not with the implication that every one should understand it. Hope this makes sense :D . Wishing you well.

Yep birds of a feather flock together :wink:

by christinaa »
I was told I had type 2 in Feb this year - after I had had a blood test for other codition and then a nurse checked my feet - NOTHING - I had been told that 'my' team for diabetes would be keeping regular checks on me - Nothing

Get back to your GP Ask for new HB1c to get the ball rolling Ask for more information
Tell them you have been left in the dark, Ask if you are you on the system ?
is this the normal service .
Some places you have to kick the doors down to receive the right treatment

I have had consultant letters & referrals all lost in the system :evil:
So chase them up

Bob

sparkles

Jenandkaleb good for you! Sounds like your intervention was gentle and effective.

I’ve had some awareness of diabetes most of my life. But I still have lots of what I call fuzzies… stuff I don’t really understand. I have always thought of type I as more severe in both complications and control. And because there may be no insulin produced thought that there is a life threatening dependency there.
I’ve always thought of type II as milder, something more of an inconvenience than the serious illness it is. Somewhere along the way the message finally got through that it is not something to ignore or disrespect and it is something which needs researching and learning about. When I got to the point of that realisation I felt bad that it had taken a few years to get there. I now feel I owe it to myself to look into it properly and to act carefully and mindfully. I see it as a journey. Its not a bad thing, in fact I know I’ll learn a lot and be a better person for it. Its making me look at what’s out there, how and why and what I put in here, how and why. So much to learn. There is a lot of ignorance it seems -even in the medical profession. But anyone can help to make a shift. I didn’t know how my GP felt about low carb diets and diabetes but I took some information printed off this site for my GP at my last appointment. I don’t know whether it would get read but it was received in good faith. I figured that if I were likely to have trouble getting test strips etc I may as well try to educate my Dr as to how and why I would prefer to treat my diabetes …and some of the info on this site puts it succinctly. There are still lots of things I dont understand about type 2.
Sparkles.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sparkles, I think your post is excellently written, and pretty much mirrors my own experiences - I too look upon it as a challenge and a journey, one of the things that life 'throws' at us! My husband recently diagnosed with 'Parkinsonism', not much he can do to prevent progress, apart from exercise, keeping mobile as much as possible and take medication. His recent diagosis certainly put my perspective of diabetes in place, at least I have some choice on what action to take with it :!:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sparkles, I think your post is excellently written, and pretty much mirrors my own experiences - I too look upon it as a challenge and a journey, one of the things that life 'throws' at us! My husband recently diagnosed with 'Parkinsonism', not much he can do to prevent progress, apart from exercise, keeping mobile as much as possible and take medication. His recent diagosis certainly put my perspective of diabetes in place, at least I have some choice on what action to take with it :!:

sparkles

Thank you HpprKM, It’s true as someone said round here that we don’t choose diabetes it chooses us but equally you can say that about many conditions. In a former life I nursed someone with Parkinsons for several years so I understand what you are saying. Parkinson’s is a difficult condition from the little experience I have.. Moreso because the mind remains fairly agile and together. My patient had very very limited speech which needed time and patience to understand and severely disrupted mobility. I always felt he had a hard time not just because of his condition but because people misunderstood him and his difficulties often. A hard road to travel. That said, to this day I am still glad to have made his acquaintance. He was elderly at that time and is now deceased. But I still feel he taught me a lot about life and that he was a very special person in my life.
Good luck to you both.
Sparkles.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sparkles, one of my husband's conditions is his speech, he always had a soft voice, and it is getting softer - sometimes he has difficulty and has to clear his throat to try to make himself heard - I had ear surgery a couple of years ago, and recently have had an infection in that ear so my hearing not 100% it makes life a bit difficult.

I think that a lot can be learnt from the elderly and I am glad to hear that you had a good experience.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sparkles, one of my husband's conditions is his speech, he always had a soft voice, and it is getting softer - sometimes he has difficulty and has to clear his throat to try to make himself heard - I had ear surgery a couple of years ago, and recently have had an infection in that ear so my hearing not 100% it makes life a bit difficult. He is only 59, and so it is was quite devastating to learn but he seems to be doing quite well - and as I understand it Parkinsons is different for each person.

I think that a lot can be learnt from the elderly and I am glad to hear that you had a good experience.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sparkles, one of my husband's conditions is his speech, he always had a soft voice, and it is getting softer - sometimes he has difficulty and has to clear his throat to try to make himself heard - I had ear surgery a couple of years ago, and recently have had an infection in that ear so my hearing not 100% it makes life a bit difficult. He is only 59, and so it is was quite devastating to learn but he seems to be doing quite well - and as I understand it Parkinsons is different for each person.

sparkles

HpprKM, Yes 59 is young isn’t it. I can see it would be life changing and a difficult concept to come to terms with. We don’t choose it do we? I only have that one experience of someone with parkinsons but he touched my life in a very positive way. It must be difficult for you dealing with your diabetes, hearing loss and husbands condition …as well as for him. I hope you can both find any support you need as and when you need it.
Sparkles.