Animas Vibe replacement

Priory99

I'd like some advice please.
I was diagnosed T1 in 1985 and have used Animas pumps since Nov 2008 (currently a Vibe) I've been self funding a Dexcom G4 Platinum since Jan 2016 to reduce my HbA1c (currently 51 so its working!). The bad news is that Animas have moved out of the pump market so I need to find a UK acceptable replacement to my present pump/cgm.
I like the Vibe & G4 , they allow lots of flexibility and user control, the pump is waterproof and links well to the G4. Everything I see and read suggests the industry is moving towards more automatic systems, shorter sensor life and much less user control unless balanced by regular calibration.
I'd really appreciate any thoughts on what options would best match my existing system. Animas are obliged to maintain the Vibe until 2021 when the warranty expires, so I have the option to wait and see if the technology improves over that period, but I'm nervous as Animas are already winding down their support.
Thanks your help, Robert.

D

Deleted Account

If you are in the UK, my advice would be to talk to your diabetes team before you get too excited by an option which is not available to you as each CCG offers different pumps, etc.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can only speak for my experience as I myself have moved off of Animas and onto Medtronic. This was purely due to the fact that the Medtronic pump and Animas pump work in very similar ways with button pressings, layouts etc, so if you're familiar with the way the vibe functions it won't take you long to work out how the 640g functions. As far as I know for any other pumps none directly will connect to Dexcom (someone can correct me if I am wrong) I do know though that Medtronic has its own CGM system which links to the pump itself which you can self-fund like you would the Dexcom, the sensors are rather slim and last 6 days I believe. I wouldn't use them myself as I have the libre but the technology for it is pretty good and they have an inbuilt function that suspends insulin when it predicts you're going low and starts insulin again once you've come back up. Medtronic also supplies you with a blood glucose meter that automatically sends over blood glucose readings if you prick your finger to your pump so you don't have to enter it, although there is the capability there to be able to enter blood glucose readings if you have another meter which you prefer.

Accu-chek has only recently brought out a CGM system which you can use which doesn't connect to its insulin pump as far as I'm aware but you can connect it to your phone or any compatible device. Instead of using the actual pump you use a phone like system to enter all your data from such as bolus's, rates, looking at data etc. The only issue with this is the PDM can be slow as it's not like an up to date phone and also you cannot input bg readings to the pump itself you have to use its inbuilt blood glucose reading system (which was a big downfall for me).

I'd also ask your team what is available to you and do some research yourself on the internet/look at videos. I always find that helpful!!

Reactions: porl69 and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In Australia the choices are now Medtronic, Tandem and Roche.
The Tandem Slim that I moved to after the Animas Vibe, accommodates Dexcom but not the others.
There are people on site who have adapted other sensors and systems to use with their pump.

Reactions: porl69

Priory99

In Australia the choices are now Medtronic, Tandem and Roche.
The Tandem Slim that I moved to after the Animas Vibe, accommodates Dexcom but not the others.
There are people on site who have adapted other sensors and systems to use with their pump.
Thanks. I'll have a look at the Tandem.
I can only speak for my experience as I myself have moved off of Animas and onto Medtronic. This was purely due to the fact that the Medtronic pump and Animas pump work in very similar ways with button pressings, layouts etc, so if you're familiar with the way the vibe functions it won't take you long to work out how the 640g functions. As far as I know for any other pumps none directly will connect to Dexcom (someone can correct me if I am wrong) I do know though that Medtronic has its own CGM system which links to the pump itself which you can self-fund like you would the Dexcom, the sensors are rather slim and last 6 days I believe. I wouldn't use them myself as I have the libre but the technology for it is pretty good and they have an inbuilt function that suspends insulin when it predicts you're going low and starts insulin again once you've come back up. Medtronic also supplies you with a blood glucose meter that automatically sends over blood glucose readings if you prick your finger to your pump so you don't have to enter it, although there is the capability there to be able to enter blood glucose readings if you have another meter which you prefer.

Accu-chek has only recently brought out a CGM system which you can use which doesn't connect to its insulin pump as far as I'm aware but you can connect it to your phone or any compatible device. Instead of using the actual pump you use a phone like system to enter all your data from such as bolus's, rates, looking at data etc. The only issue with this is the PDM can be slow as it's not like an up to date phone and also you cannot input bg readings to the pump itself you have to use its inbuilt blood glucose reading system (which was a big downfall for me).

I'd also ask your team what is available to you and do some research yourself on the internet/look at videos. I always find that helpful!!
Thanks. It's beginning to look like Medronics is the only realistic option- but I get 21 days average out of a Dexcom sensor and 6 days will be a shock!. I'm loathe to have to rely on my phone as its another piece of kit I sometimes lose and isn't attached to me like the pump.

Reactions: kitedoc

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I'll have a look at the Tandem.

Thanks. It's beginning to look like Medronics is the only realistic option- but I get 21 days average out of a Dexcom sensor and 6 days will be a shock!. I'm loathe to have to rely on my phone as its another piece of kit I sometimes lose and isn't attached to me like the pump.

The Tandem isn't available in Europe, sorry.

The best option is G5 and xdrip which means extending lives far beyond intended like you currently do, it uses the same sensor as G4.

I would strongly suggest the Dana pump personally but you need to look at it and decide how much you are willing to push for what you want.

Priory99

If you are in the UK, my advice would be to talk to your diabetes team before you get too excited by an option which is not available to you as each CCG offers different pumps, etc.
Thanks. Preliminary discussions with them indicated Medtronics pump as their preferred option, but I'd rather go back to them with a more complete understanding of what is available. Its very difficult for CGG's under tight budget constraints, to give advice, especially when they are not funding the cgm portion. I could plead for a Libre but I'd need to know how that would work with the pump - and I am really interested in where the pump/cgm technology is heading- especially as I think demand is going to skyrocket.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks. Preliminary discussions with them indicated Medtronics pump as their preferred option, but I'd rather go back to them with a more complete understanding of what is available. Its very difficult for CGG's under tight budget constraints, to give advice, especially when they are not funding the cgm portion. I could plead for a Libre but I'd need to know how that would work with the pump - and I am really interested in where the pump/cgm technology is heading- especially as I think demand is going to skyrocket.
What do you mean about the CGM "working with the pump"?
I have used Dexcom G4 with my Animas Vibe and Libre.
As the only the Dexcom/Vibe integration is minimal (it shows the graph on the Vibe), I didn't feel it was anything worth getting excited about.
The graphs available on a phone on the Libre are much better. They provide a lot more information and I always have my phone with me.
Others have pimped their Libre with miao mioa to get the CGM capability and overall, this works out cheaper than the Dexcom.

Regarding accuracy, I used to think the Dexcom was better. However, it would drift off and become very unreliable towards the end of its life. Then I found the Glimp app which allows you to calibrate Libre readings with finger prick. Using Glimp, Libre is more accurate for me than the Dexcom ever was ... or perhaps my memory is tainted by a night of Dexcom low BG beeps when I finger pricked to find it was 6.4.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No pumps work with Libre or Dexcom in the UK, it can only be done through a phone in which case you can do closed loop pumping if you're willing to make it work.

I strongly suggest you have a look at AndroidAPS or Looped if you want CGM which works with a pump, they outstrip medcrap by a mile.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
So, if I can bump this discussion and ask if anyone has had any more thoughts? @Engineer88 my concern with this is if I go into the sea, say windsurfing/paddleboarding, I want minimal electronics with me. if I were in a similar situation to @Priory99 and was moving away from the animas, linked to a Dexcom G4, with the main benefits of onscreen CGM readings so no additional screens required, CGM lifespan of circa 3 weeks, and a pump that is waterproof for use outdoors. Does anyone have any personal views on which direection they have, or would go in please. Happy to work on the assumption I can convince my CCG to give me any pump currently available in the UK (I know its a long shot but I'm hoping to hear all the options so I can build a considered view!). Many Thanks in advance. Paul

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @paulliljeros, Not sure if by 'minimal electronics' are you saying Pump plus CGM or just pump.
Keeping a CGM sensor on could be tricky on a windsurfer. There may be challenges in even being able to read a CGM or manipulate a pump under certain conditions.
Keeping from becoming hypo and have the ability to recognise and deal with one are the basic priorities. You do not necessarily need a pump and CGM to do that.
I did it for years with kayaking and sailing before pumps, CGM, or meters.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @paulliljeros, Not sure if by 'minimal electronics' are you saying Pump plus CGM or just pump.
Keeping a CGM sensor on could be tricky on a windsurfer. There may be challenges in even being able to read a CGM or manipulate a pump under certain conditions.
Keeping from becoming hypo and have the ability to recognise and deal with one are the basic priorities. You do not necessarily need a pump and CGM to do that.
I did it for years with kayaking and sailing before pumps, CGM, or meters.
Thank you for the reply. I am trying to highlight, poorly I accept, that with the arrangement of the waterproof Animas Vibe, + Dexcom CGM sensor/transmitter, I have full freedom to undertake sports, etc in and out of water, and continue to have full control/siught of BGs and insulin. Without the vibe, I lose sight of the CGM data, unless I take a non-waterproof phone or Dexcom receiver with me. As the vibe is now discontinued, I am trying to understand what everyones oppinion is as to the best alternatives. I think if I were to draw up a wish list, it would include CGM that's integrated into a waterproof pump, that, doesn't end up costing more than I'm already paying. When the Dexcom G5 was first released a few years ago, I had no interest in upgrading, simply because I didn't want to have to carry my phone with me to view the data. Apologies, if I'm still not making sense ... been away from the forum for a while now!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s, were you, or are you on the Animas Vibe? Appreciate you were at the forefront of closed loop systems a few years ago, so I assume you are still closely monitoring the current and upcomming tech - are you or anyone else able to provide any advice please?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @paulliljeros, Thank you for your reply. My misinterpretation. I was looking more at how one would cope with any system.
In Oz I switched to the Tandem Slim X2 Pump. It is integrated with Dexcom and I think has the reduction of basal rate with low BSLs integrated via a software update. That sort of refinement has not reached Oz yet but is happening in South Africa in March, so I believe. And is current in the USA. The software update for these features rather than having to wait for a newer pump years down the track was major marketing feature.
My Tandem rep said that Tandem was coming to the UK. They have been catching up with transitioning people from Animas across the world.
The new Tandem T-slim x 2 is supposed to be waterproof at up to 3 feet underwater for 30 minutes. However there seems to a lot of variation in success and a number of failures (see forum.tudiabetes.com Tandem T slim: not even a little waterproof?). Plus some confusion about whether this was just the original or the T-slim x2 or both.
The safest option seems to be using a mobile phone waterproof pouch.
As a general pump I really like the Tandem. It is touch screen rather than button press which takes a bit of time to get used to.
It has a luer fitting (? unlike the original model) and will take a number of different infusion sets.
For Oz, I am glad it has alarms for before the insulin in the reservoir is reaching 30 degrees or zero degrees C and before the electronics are getting too hot to work properly.
There was a tendency for the pump to be oversensitive to obstructions like air bubbles but this has apparently been sorted. However like the Animas (? and every other pump) it does not detect when insulin flow is affected by a bent /kinked cannula.
The battery is rechargeable so I carry a charging cord and power plug plus a power pack in my spare kit. This at least removes the need for a chamber for a replaceable battery, but carrying a spare battery for the Vibe was more compact.
I note that the Medtronic minimed 640 is advertised as being waterproof to a depth of 6.3 meters for 24 hours. Not sure if it is available in the UK. It may be worth checking on reports that Medtronic have been having trouble with cracked casings though.
Best Wishes for finding the best pump for your needs.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for that feedback @kitedoc - that is exactly the kind of information I am hoping for. Not sure if the Tandem is available in this area of the UK, but it's precisely these kinds of details I am hoping for! I think the way I am looking at is "in an ideal world it would have all of these attributes ......" with the understanding that there will have to be some concessions. At least if I can see feedback on the options from all the pumps, its possible to decide which one is the best choice. Once again, thank you so much.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
A pleasure @paulliljeros, it can be fun trying to sort out each company's specifications and user's actual experience of the pump's performance!!
What I cannot help with is the best type, brand etc of wetsuit to best protect you and the pump.!!
Best Wishes with everything and most importantly, enjoy your sport !!
someone sailboarding at Semaphore beach, Adelaide...........kite surfers at the same location
P1130641.jpg .............................................................................P4020536.jpg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s, were you, or are you on the Animas Vibe? Appreciate you were at the forefront of closed loop systems a few years ago, so I assume you are still closely monitoring the current and upcomming tech - are you or anyone else able to provide any advice please?
Hi Paul, no I've never used the vibe. And sad to say, none of the remaining pumps allow you to use Dexcom and are waterproof. The Tandem X2 is only IP28, and the Medtronic requires the use of the Enlites.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And as far as I know Tandem is only available if youre on a trial in the uk.

Best bet yet again is Dana plus phone. or medshit.

Plenty of waterproof phone bags and cases available to tuck into a wetsuit or similar

AmberHaynes

What is Omnipod availability? Tubeless and waterproof pod pumps. The newest DASH really let's you have finite control and you can use DexCom with.