Blood glucose targets

CarlyBal84

So had my first appointment with diabetic midwife yesterday and I'm so worried about the levels they want me at. They seem stupidly low.

Before meals .... <5.3
1 hour after meals... <7.8
2 hours after meals... <6.4

They said they are really strict on those numbers aswell. Am I just worried for nothing and this is possible or am I gonna be worried all pregnancy I'm failing?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hi. You need to say what type of diabetic you are to begin with.

As to your numbers. I could hit them reliably.

Others cannot get close. It entirely depends on your body.

Pregnancy and any medication will mess with the numbers too.

Are you testing, do you have a HbA1c result?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @CarlyBal84, firstly congratulations!! Well done.
As a male T1D for 52 years, not as professional advice or opinion:
As I understand it for pregnancy the levels are more strict both for your sake and baby's.
Rather than worry, which tends to push BSLs up, trying to do your absolute best with diet, insulin and BSLs is the aim.
Please listen to your health team and follow their advice. Keep in touch with them regularly and keep asking
them questions if things are not working out. I imagine you are taking supplements with minerals and vitamins ?
Sometimes a check with the dentist is needed also.
Of course post on here as much as you wish, Someone or others may have experience or knowledge which
you could put to your health team to make things easier and improve on your BSLs etc.
Best Wishes !!:):):):):)

CarlyBal84

Hi. You need to say what type of diabetic you are to begin with.

As to your numbers. I could hit them reliably.

Others cannot get close. It entirely depends on your body.

Pregnancy and any medication will mess with the numbers too.

Are you testing, do you have a HbA1c result?
I'm type 2 only diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm waiting on my new hba1c but I'm waking up normally around a 6. Today was 5.9 a hour after 2 slices of toast this morning I was 9.1
I think I might be panicking more then I should be but I don't want to be causing any risks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi again @CarlyBal84, please let your health team know. You will not be in trouble.
You and they need to work out what foods will help keep your BSLs in range and if you need assistance with your BSLs from medication or not as things progress.

CarlyBal84

Hi again @CarlyBal84, please let your health team know. You will not be in trouble.
You and they need to work out what foods will help keep your BSLs in range and if you need assistance with your BSLs from medication or not as things progress.
I'm already on metformin I take 2 tablets in the morning and 2 of a evening. They are taking about giving me insulin at some point aswell but obviously I would prefer to try and go as long as possible not needing to have insulin aswell as the metformin. I feel alot more confident with the diabetic team then I have with my GP the last 2 years which I guess is a really good thing aswell.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm already on metformin I take 2 tablets in the morning and 2 of a evening. They are taking about giving me insulin at some point aswell but obviously I would prefer to try and go as long as possible not needing to have insulin aswell as the metformin. I feel alot more confident with the diabetic team then I have with my GP the last 2 years which I guess is a really good thing aswell.
That is great that you have confidence in your team @CarlyBal84 ! To keep BSLs in control for you and baby sometimes insulin is required as things progress. yes, insulin injections take some getting used to but I expect it would be a temporary thing , as in maybe from when needed until baby is born, But your health team will have the answers for you. I have been on insulin for 52 plus years - you get used to it !!! I hope that makes some months on it feel not so bad !!

CarlyBal84

The idea of all the glucose testing plus insulin injections plus the fragmin injections from 28 weeks makes me feel abit overwhelmed if I'm honest. I'm sure it won't be too bad, it's just scary :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The idea of all the glucose testing plus insulin injections plus the fragmin injections from 28 weeks makes me feel abit overwhelmed if I'm honest. I'm sure it won't be too bad, it's just scary :)
Yeah, it is a lot to take in. We Type 1s on insulin refer to ourselves as colanders, teabags, holey warriors and the like. You are welcome to join. It is better to laugh than cry.
And I recall a cartoon where someone is heading out the door of an acupuncture clinic and the acupuncturist yells out :
"I forgot to tell you. Don't drink anything for an hour "!! I am sure as scary as it sounds you will take it in your stride and if you need support or to pour out your frustrations about it all we are here to listen.

IMG_3086 (1).jpg

CarlyBal84

Yeah, it is a lot to take in. We Type 1s on insulin refer to ourselves as colanders, teabags, holey warriors and the like. You are welcome to join. It is better to laugh than cry.
And I recall a cartoon where someone is heading out the door of an acupuncture clinic and the acupuncturist yells out :
"I forgot to tell you. Don't drink anything for an hour "!! I am sure as scary as it sounds you will take it in your stride and if you need support or to pour out your frustrations about it all we are here to listen.

View attachment 30740
Thankyou

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

The needles are absolutely tiny, 4 or 5mm long, and very thin.

Most people get freaked out by injections because they think about nurses putting a heavier guage needle in a vein, but it's nothing at all like that.

You're controlling the insertion rate, and it's just popping into subcutaneous fat on your stomach.

It obviously takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it's about as much hassle as using a lip-salve.

Most of us find it's not even remotely painful. There's an occasional sting if you inject too near a bundle of nerve endings, but that rarely happens, can't remember the last time I had that, a few years ago maybe?

The main thing to watch out for with insulin is the after effects. If you inject too much, it can drop you too low, below 4, into hypoglycaemia. That can be unpleasant, not painful, more a confusion of thought through the brain not having enough glucose to run on, and often some jitteriness and shaking through a surge of adrenalin.

But the dividing line between that and normal bg is fairly narrow, so 10g or so of fast glucose will usually do the trick, rinse and repeat if it doesn't.

There's also devices called cgm, continuous glucose monitoring, such as Dexcom, which read your levels every 5 mins and alerts you if you're heading too low so you can have some glucose to tail off the drop before it happens.

They're about £100 to £150 per month, but worth asking your docs whether they'll prescribe it for free. From April all pregnant T1s will be offered it on prescription, so even though you're not T1, you might be in with a chance if you're on insulin for the pregnancy.

Last edited:

CarlyBal84

Ah so update I have to start insulin tomorrow. Feeling abit disheartened as iv been trying so hard, eating well, walking more and I even lost 2lb, but still have to start insulin at only (from this saturday) 11 weeks pregnant :(

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @CarlyBal84, You have tried hard, but your pregnancy dictates that your baby will grow, you will be gaining weight because of that and your pancreas gland needs the assistance of some insulin by injection.
By having the injections, as unhappy you may be about it, means that baby will grow better, you will be healthier and that once baby is born things can get back to nearer normal.
I know you said there are the blood-thinning injections too. If there were less ouchy ways to give insulin and blood thinners you would be having them that way. But this is a short time in your life where things are this way.
Hang in there, you and baby are precious.:):):)

CarlyBal84

3 injections in and there is nothing to them :) I don't even feel them at all. First one was last night which is a slow release that one stung a tiny bit after but all the rest have been fine :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good to hear !! Expect the occasional ouch or sting, but well done you are n the way to better BSLs.
All of us insulin injectors keep some gluco-tabs or similar on hand in case we drop too low !!
Best Wishes !!!:):):):):)

vintabigail17

Hi Carly I'm about 10 weeks and strugfl8ng so badly with the limits!! Hypos every night this week and average of 2 during the day!
Also loosing my awareness and I've a 4 and 3 year old to run after x