Confused by DN/Keto/BG

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not been feeling so great lately, brain injury related stuff/depression and type 2 diabetes so I made an appointment to see the diabetic nurse for a quick check on state of play as I was not due to be seen till July. I have been generally keeping my BG under control but it feels like I am shaking when my BG is in normal range. I have been using my BG monitor to find out which things are not agreeing with me so I can avoid them in the future. I said to the DN that I had lost 2 stone in weight and had been following a LCHF diet and I am near my ideal BMI. However the DN then went onto practically giving me a lecture that I should not have bought my own BG test kit and checking my own BG, then she said I should not be getting my knickers in a twist and stop checking my BG from now, then diabetics should not be following a keto diet or what ever is called. I feel kind of deflated as I thought as I am doing quite well as I am managing by diet only and I would prefer to put the diabetes in remission.

K

Knikki

Well I'm not a type 2 but to me you sound like your doing the right things, bloods under control, following a diet and weight down too, all good news. :)

I'm sure there will be more T2 along in a bit who will pour scorn on your DSN and with good reason.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you are doing well with your diabetes! DN hasn't kept up with the times and possibly doesn't like patients who know more than she does.
The shaking when BG is normal can be false hypo: if your body is used to higher levels it percieves normal levels as hypo. Or it might be a symptom of something unrelated.
Hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: jenner68

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't understand the letters HbAIC can some one please help

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the letters HbAIC can some one please help
It is a measure of how much blood glucose has been taken up by the red blood cells over the previous 3 months (that is the average life of a red blood cell) It is often used to diagnose pre diabetes or type 2 diabetes.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not been feeling so great lately, brain injury related stuff/depression and type 2 diabetes so I made an appointment to see the diabetic nurse for a quick check on state of play as I was not due to be seen till July. I have been generally keeping my BG under control but it feels like I am shaking when my BG is in normal range. I have been using my BG monitor to find out which things are not agreeing with me so I can avoid them in the future. I said to the DN that I had lost 2 stone in weight and had been following a LCHF diet and I am near my ideal BMI. However the DN then went onto practically giving me a lecture that I should not have bought my own BG test kit and checking my own BG, then she said I should not be getting my knickers in a twist and stop checking my BG from now, then diabetics should not be following a keto diet or what ever is called. I feel kind of deflated as I thought as I am doing quite well as I am managing by diet only and I would prefer to put the diabetes in remission.
You sound as though you are doing really well in terms of testing and eating the right things. The NHS now can recommend low carb diets for type 2 diabetics so she is very out of date. It is possible to put diabetes into remission and you sound as you are doing that so well done. Don't be deflated as you have taken control of your health! Testing is the only way to tell the effect various foods have on your BG and I have no idea why some DN are so against it. She obviously hasn't answered your concern about shaking. It could be something else so perhaps if it continues you should get it checked by some one else.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @jenner68 sounds to me like your doing an amazing job, don't take the word of this 'health care professional' who appears to be using out dated information.

Keep going and give yourself a big pat on the back, putting this into remission is the direction your travelling in.

Sounds like she would be doing herself a favour by learning from you.

M

Member496333

Tell her 1955 called. They want their advice back.

Personally I would not see that nurse again. Keep doing what you’re doing and ignore such nonsense :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell her 1955 called. They want their advice back.

Personally I would not see that nurse again. Keep doing what you’re doing and ignore such nonsense :)
Actually in 1955 they would have been prescribing a virtually zero carb diet to treat T2..just sayin'...
The wisdom that we lost due to Keys and his anti fat bulls**t.

But @jenner68 please ignore the ignorant nurse and keep up the great work with testing and eating low carb. You'll get a great HbA1c next time and she'll be gobsmacked! Wipe that smugness off her face.

Reactions: Guzzler
M

Member496333

In my defence I plucked 1955 out of the air with little thought. Not too dissimilar to how many HCPs choose their T2DM treatment advice :D

Minniewinny

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The nurse is deserving of nothing more than a Wooden Spoon. There are two ways that you could address such a nurse, the first is to agree with her, smile and say 'Yes, nurse' and leave the building and the advice without any intention of taking notice of her. Or you could argue your case, keep doing what you are doing for the good of your health and possibly change her attitude. The second choice is harder but I find it unutterable fun.

Seriously, though, health care professionals can advise and guide us but they are never in a position to dictate. Use your own judgement. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you're doing well with LCHF and getting better results etc, then press on. Good progress is good progress. Keep checking your sugar levels, you're doing a way better job of managing your health then the DN is.... nobody ever gets better following the guidelines the medical world has been parroting out. This ignorance and nonsense coming DN's like yours has to stop. It's been killing people slowly for 40yrs.

Kay25

My doc recommended the keto diet for me so that's interesting.

I havent been doing it because it's just not feasible for me, but I've dropped a lot of weight just from going low carb and cutting out milk and soda.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jenner68 ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ what you are doing is working so keep doing it. Many T2s are told not to test me included - my DN told me not to test as it would only make my fingers sore! It doesn’t and I still do! We all have different ways of managing our diabetes be it LCHF, Keto, Newcastle diet or intermittent fasting etc. Find the one that suits you although reading your post it seems as though you already have. Well done on your progress so far and do what many of us do when we have our review with our DN/GP - listen, smile sweetly, and, if it’s working for us, carry on doing what we’re doing anyway.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
listen, smile sweetly, and, if it’s working for us, carry on doing what we’re doing anyway.
The big disadvantage with this approach is that DNs are likely to keep believing in the glories of the eatwell plate.

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your kind replies. I have been thinking about it in a different way now. You have all given me a great boost. I am really grateful.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad to hear it @jenner68 its always good to get support particularly when you experience something which knocks your confidence, here to support you whenever you need it :)

Reactions: Krystyna23040