Jerusalem artichoke ?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had Jerusalem artichoke recently in a restaurant and liked it. Does anyone eat this and where can I buy to cook at home?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had Jerusalem artichoke recently in a restaurant and liked it. Does anyone eat this and where can I buy to cook at home?
I think it is fairly high carb. Generally available at some farmers markets December, January time I used to grow my own in a container until vine weevils got in. Have a look at on line supermarkets, although I have not seen them for a long time.

Reactions: kitedoc and michita

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are just over 10% carbs according t the UK food database
Artichoke, Jerusalem, boiled in unsalted water, flesh only 100g Cals 41 Fat 0.1 Carb10.6 Protein 1.6
Far nicer roasted in some goose fat which would up the fat quotient a bit...

Edit to add they appear on the Ocado and Waitrose websites so that might be a good place to start. I'm guessing you'll need a larger Waitrose store.
Just found them on Sainsbury and Morrison website too.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @michita, if you google bbcgoodfood,com - Jerulseum artichoke you can see when it is in season and how to store and cook it. For nutritional information: Nutrition-and-you.com Jerusaleum artichoke nutritional facts. It contains a fibre called inulin (not insulin)! which is sweet and helps healthy bugs in our bowel to grow.
100 g of raw Jerusleum artichokes contains 17.44 g of carbs so it needs to be allowed for in one's carb intake.
Enjoy cooking and eating it !!

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are just over 10% carbs according t the UK food database
Artichoke, Jerusalem, boiled in unsalted water, flesh only 100g Cals 41 Fat 0.1 Carb10.6 Protein 1.6
Far nicer roasted in some goose fat which would up the fat quotient a bit...

Edit to add they appear on the Ocado and Waitrose websites so that might be a goo place to start. I'm guessing you'll need a larger Waitrose store.
Just found them on Sainsbury and Morrison website too.

Thank you. Im going to waitrose later today so I'll ask. Couldn't find at my big tesco but saw similar looking veggies and thought it might have a different name.

I thought the carbs are all fibre but I will eat and test and see :) was very tasty at the restaurant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Im going to waitrose later today so I'll ask. Couldn't find at my big tesco but saw similar looking veggies and thought it might have a different name.

I thought the carbs are all fibre but I will eat and test and see :) was very tasty at the restaurant
They have 3.5g of fibre per 100g so if you are used to looking at total carbs (the US way) then they have 14.1 total carbs per 100g with 1.6g of that being sugar. Hope that helps.. They also are notorious for causing wind!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @michita I too love Jerusalem artichoke, it's only in season through Winter, I get mine from a local farm shop, otherwise Waitrose would be the place to get it from, word of warning though I had some before Christmas, and had quite a big portion and had terrible wind for a whole day afterwards (sorry if that's a little too much info!) :bag:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's another bit of exotica which is worth looking out for, @michita .

I ate at a French restaurant a few weeks ago and the veg side dish had some fractal or Romanesco broccoli with it.

Had never seen it before in all my 50 yrs! Looks like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie. A work of art courtesy of Mother Nature.

715dMJyr31L._SX425_.jpg

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @michita, if you google bbcgoodfood,com - Jerulseum artichoke you can see when it is in season and how to store and cook it. For nutritional information: Nutrition-and-you.com Jerusaleum artichoke nutritional facts. It contains a fibre called inulin (not insulin)! which is sweet and helps healthy bugs in our bowel to grow.
100 g of raw Jerusleum artichokes contains 17.44 g of carbs so it needs to be allowed for in one's carb intake.
Enjoy cooking and eating it !!

I'm looking at the site. The recipes look good. Thank you I should have got thyme or Rosemary

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's another bit of exotica which is worth looking out for, @michita .

I ate at a French restaurant a few weeks ago and the veg side dish had some fractal or Romanesco broccoli with it.

Had never seen it before in all my 50 yrs! Looks like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie. A work of art courtesy of Mother Nature.

View attachment 30741

I think I've seen this either at my waitrose or tesco. I might buy them next time :)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They have 3.5g of fibre per 100g so if you are used to looking at total carbs (the US way) then they have 14.1 total carbs per 100g with 1.6g of that being sugar. Hope that helps.. They also are notorious for causing wind!
It must be a good source of the fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS) inulin, a type of prebiotic fibre which has many health benefits. Fructo-oligosaccharides are notorious for inducing the kind of bodily effluents and or gas that if its discharged at the wrong place and time very easily clears whole rooms, and houses even.:hilarious:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scientific name: Fartichoke.

As a lover of cauliflower and broccoli I was disappointed with Romanesco it was rather tasteless, a classic example of style over substance.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must be a good source of the fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS) inulin, a type of prebiotic fibre which has many health benefits. Fructo-oligosaccharides are notorious for inducing the kind of bodily effluents and or gas that if its discharged at the wrong place and time very easily clears whole rooms, and houses even.:hilarious:
Made me laugh ... I'm now seriously afraid about eating them !!! They look like gingers and will be a bit pain to peel but will make good potato replacement. It's called literally chrysanthemum potatoes in Japanese and blood glucose lowering effect is often mentioned maybe it's to do with inulin. I ate some at restaurant without insulin and my sugar level was fine. I'm going to experiment later :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My husband used to grow them (they are very easy to grow and they look like sunflowers). I wouldn't bother peeling them, just give them a really good scrub. They are nice when steamed with lots of butter and make a really lovely soup which, for some reason, isn't quite so windy, but IMO are at their best when roasted with garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary or thyme.

As for romanesco, it's my favourite vegetable - like a cross between cauliflower and broccoli with a hint of turnip. We found it quite difficult to grow but worth the TCL it needs.

Whatever you do do NOT give any Jerusalem artichokes leftovers to dogs as the windy effect is multiplied by ten with them. :eek:

Reactions: Sue192

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband used to grow them (they are very easy to grow and they look like sunflowers). I wouldn't bother peeling them, just give them a really good scrub. They are nice when steamed with lots of butter and make a really lovely soup which, for some reason, isn't quite so windy, but IMO are at their best when roasted with garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary or thyme.

As for romanesco, it's my favourite vegetable - like a cross between cauliflower and broccoli with a hint of turnip. We found it quite difficult to grow but worth the TCL it needs.

Whatever you do do NOT give any Jerusalem artichokes leftovers to dogs as the windy effect is multiplied by ten with them. :eek:

Thank u for the info. I was going to peel them but I'll skip. I think I should have gotten Rosemary or thyme. Next time. I will boil or roast and eat with pork tonight :)

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Generally grow like a weed so if you have a large container or isolated bed you can grow your own.

Years since I had any.

I will now keep a lookout.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
in terms of BS level, I had to do a small correction after meal but I quite like the taste and I'll probably buy again. I normally don't eat root veggies except for mooli (daikon radish) which I love - so nice I have to make allowance

Reactions: Chook