Confused

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
right now politicians - don't care what party.
Have just read my blood test results online and am a little confused.

My fasting blood glucose is 7.8 - that bit doesn't confuse me, as it says its high and gives a range between 3.0 and 5.4 so that is quite abit above the high end.

The other blood test HBA1C was taken along with some other tests and I am not sure what it would be labelled.

A few of those other results have come back low, so I may have a few other issues to deal with as well.

Any assistance on what to look for so I can see my HBA1C I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glycated hemoglobin maybe?
If you let us know what 's on the list, we can maybe sort out what is what. (No need to add the results, just the terms used.)

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you - this is what is on the list - he wanted to check a few things.

Nothing is screaming out at me as HBA1C

Haemoglobin concentration
Platelet count
Red blood cell count
Haematocrit
Mean cell volume
Mean cell haemoglobin level
Mean cell haemoglobin concentration
Neutrophil count
Lymphocyte count
Monocyte count
Eosinophil count
Basophil count
Total white blood count

PolarBear81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - this is what is on the list - he wanted to check a few things.

Nothing is screaming out at me as HBA1C

Haemoglobin concentration
Platelet count
Red blood cell count
Haematocrit
Mean cell volume
Mean cell haemoglobin level
Mean cell haemoglobin concentration
Neutrophil count
Lymphocyte count
Monocyte count
Eosinophil count
Basophil count
Total white blood count
That's a full blood count otherwise known as a FBC. That has nothing to do with your a1c. Sometimes the lab can mistakenly request a HbA1c as the dr requesting just a Hb (haemoglobin) if the form was handwritten or sometimes it's just some other form of human error in the lab, usually new staff. It may also be the test is still pending as often 'pending' results don't show up at all until completed. This is from my knowledge of working in a pathology lab for 15 years so I've got some insider knowledge on what happens to your blood and where things can go wrong. If it's been a few says since you've had your other results and the a1c still doesn't appear I'd suggest calling whoever requested the test to chase it up.

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you PolarBear81- that puts my mind at rest and makes sense. Will check the system again in a few days and see if it has come back then.

Reactions: johnme

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
OK - just checked the surgery test results again and it looks like it is back and is reading 62.

Just after I found that I had a text to give them a call, whereupon they confirmed that I am indeed diabetic.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK - just checked the surgery test results again and it looks like it is back and is reading 62.

Just after I found that I had a text to give them a call, whereupon they confirmed that I am indeed diabetic.
Hi @LizAnne2015 ,

You didn't tag me in the post, so I didn't see it... Glad someone did though. ;) But yeah, 62 is T2-territory. So you're in the right place to start tackling it! It's not as bad a number as most members saw at diagnosis though, so the odds are you can get it back down to non-diabetic levels rather fast. (You'd still be diabetic, but you'd be avoiding complications and disease progression.) Have they told you anything about what's next? Given you an appointment or a perscription? Anything to go on, or nothing at all?

In any case, you're going to be okay. And I don't know if you've seen @daisy1 's infosheet yet, but it's quite useful. ;)

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sorry @JoKalsbeek still getting the hang of this. Haven't been told anything really yet. I did pick up a booklet from the inhouse pharmacy.

I have a formal follow up appointment on the 30th.

The doctor wants other blood tests as well - not sure what for but still he knows what he's doing, I think.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @JoKalsbeek still getting the hang of this. Haven't been told anything really yet. I did pick up a booklet produced by the Cornwall Diabetes and Endocrine Centre from the inhouse pharmacy that was just lying on the table.

I have a formal follow up appointment on the 30th.

The doctor wants other blood tests as well - not sure what for but still he knows what he's doing, I think.
That's normal. When you're newly diagnosed they hold you up to the light for a bit. See if there's damage from prolonged high bloodsugars for instance, checking heart, kidneys, liver, nerve endings, eyes... Your HbA1c looks like the odds are slim there's extensive damage though. At the end you'll feel like a pincushion, but if you request all testresults, you'll be a well-informed pincushion. You really have to know where you're starting from.

As you're already going the low carb route, may I ask how low carb you're going? Have you cut out all bread, potatoes, rice, corn, pasta, most fruits etc, or are you cutting back those things a little. Do you need any help there or are you a-okay on that front? I can wholeheartedly recommend reading Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code before your appointment on the 30th. It'll tell you a whole lot about low carb, high fat, diabetes, how to handle it and what'll especially come in handy: you'll know what questions to ask the doc and diabetes nurse. And maybe purchase a meter of your own? NHS doesn't usually fund meters for T2's unless they're on heavy duty meds or insulin, but without a meter you're flying blind. If you test before a meal, and 2 hours after the first bite, and don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was perfect and worth repeating. ;) After a while you'd test less because you can guesstimate meals, having had them before.

Anyway, I'm on my way out for the evening after dinner, but... I hope something in there was useful.
Again, you'll be okay. Your HbA1c isn't all that bad. You'll be back to decent numbers in no time at all.
Jo

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That's normal. When you're newly diagnosed they hold you up to the light for a bit. See if there's damage from prolonged high bloodsugars for instance, checking heart, kidneys, liver, nerve endings, eyes... Your HbA1c looks like the odds are slim there's extensive damage though. At the end you'll feel like a pincushion, but if you request all testresults, you'll be a well-informed pincushion. You really have to know where you're starting from.

As you're already going the low carb route, may I ask how low carb you're going? Have you cut out all bread, potatoes, rice, corn, pasta, most fruits etc, or are you cutting back those things a little. Do you need any help there or are you a-okay on that front? I can wholeheartedly recommend reading Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code before your appointment on the 30th. It'll tell you a whole lot about low carb, high fat, diabetes, how to handle it and what'll especially come in handy: you'll know what questions to ask the doc and diabetes nurse. And maybe purchase a meter of your own? NHS doesn't usually fund meters for T2's unless they're on heavy duty meds or insulin, but without a meter you're flying blind. If you test before a meal, and 2 hours after the first bite, and don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was perfect and worth repeating. ;) After a while you'd test less because you can guesstimate meals, having had them before.

Anyway, I'm on my way out for the evening after dinner, but... I hope something in there was useful.
Again, you'll be okay. Your HbA1c isn't all that bad. You'll be back to decent numbers in no time at all.
Jo
@JoKalsbeek

Thank you for the reassurance, am still feeling about confused about it all.

I have a couple of books arrive today that I think it was @Northener recommended, one was GL diet for dummies. I have also downloaded carbs and cals app and set it to 150 and take it from there.

I do appreciate the help from everyone, as it is rather overwhelming. The booklet I picked up at the surgery seems to be going on about slow release carbs so probably not much help on that front.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek

I have a couple of books arrive today that I think it was @Northener recommended, one was GL diet for dummies. I have also downloaded carbs and cals app and set it to 150 and take it from there.

I do appreciate the help from everyone, as it is rather overwhelming. The booklet I picked up at the surgery seems to be going on about slow release carbs so probably not much help on that front.

The GL diet is fine for non diabetics and those on insulin, but not so good for T2s on diet only or Metformin. It is a diet that uses low glycaemic load carbs such as wholemeal stuff, but you will come to understand that all carbs turn to glucose once inside the system, and that includes the low GI/L ones. You will be told time and time again from your diabetes medics that you must eat wholemeal carbs, but they are carbs just like the white varieties and will do the same to your blood sugar levels as the white ones. There is no necessity to eat carbs at all - they are not essential to life like protein and fats are.

This website will help you
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The GL diet is fine for non diabetics and those on insulin, but not so good for T2s on diet only or Metformin. It is a diet that uses low glycaemic load carbs such as wholemeal stuff, but you will come to understand that all carbs turn to glucose once inside the system, and that includes the low GI/L ones. You will be told time and time again from your diabetes medics that you must eat wholemeal carbs, but they are carbs just like the white varieties and will do the same to your blood sugar levels as the white ones. There is no necessity to eat carbs at all - they are not essential to life like protein and fats are.

This website will help you
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid
Thank you @Bluetit1802 will have a look at those. So much to take in at the mo, but I'm sure it will all come clear eventually.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Bluetit1802 will have a look at those. So much to take in at the mo, but I'm sure it will all come clear eventually.

Yes, it will all become clear. Just take a few deep breaths, and make sure you drink plenty of fluids (not pop!) and get a good night's sleep. All of us were where you are at first, and I would hazard a guess that each and everyone of us is still learning. It is a long, long, learning curve. There is no rush. Read, and take your time.

Reactions: LizAnne2015

LizAnne2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yes, it will all become clear. Just take a few deep breaths, and make sure you drink plenty of fluids (not pop!) and get a good night's sleep. All of us were where you are at first, and I would hazard a guess that each and everyone of us is still learning. It is a long, long, learning curve. There is no rush. Read, and take your time.
Thank you once again @Bluetit1802 will read and watch what I can and take step by step.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek

Yeah, slow release carbs, kindof useless for T2's... But you know more about what is useless and what isn't already, from the sound of it, than most people who start on this journey do. You've got this. ;)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@LizAnne2015
Hello LizAnne and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.