Mercy's Mexican Fudge

How To Make Mexican fudge

Yield: 4 servings

200g / 8 ounces Mozzarella
200g / 8 ounces Cheddar cheese
several fresh chillis
8 0z / 1 cup double cream
4 eggs

Spread Mozzarella cheese on the bottom of a 8-inch square glass casserole. Spread green chile over Mozzarella. Then spread Cheddar over the chillis.

Beat eggs with the milk and pour over the cheese and chilli. Bake at 350 / 180 degrees for 45 minutes.

Cut into 2-inch squares, and serve warm.

Per Serving: 629 Cal (76% from Fat, 23% from Protein, 2% from Carb); 36 g Protein; 53 g Tot Fat; 3 g Carb; 0 g Fiber; 880 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 740 mg Sodium; 397 mg Cholesterol

It rose alarmingly in the oven and was quite nice warm with salad.

This morning it really is 'fudgy' and tasty cold. I don't think I would easily manage a 1/4 of this but will use it as a snack food to dip into.

Might be a useful tool

Interestingly, the chilli content seems to have relieved 'congestion' in a way the fibresure wasn't managing alone

Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Mercy's Quiche

For the pastry:
225g ground almonds
55g butter

For the filling:
15g butter
1 tbsp olive oil
500g mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
salt and pepper
3 eggs, beaten
4tbsp double cream

Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

Mix the pastry until thoroughly mixed
Press into an 8 inch tin

Make a few holes in the base of the flan all over and bake in the oven for 15 minutes (until set and golden brown). Set aside and turn the oven down to 170 degrees c.

Gently saute the mushrooms and garlic in the butter and olive oil, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid has boiled away. Season and spread over the pastry base.

Whisk together the eggs, cream and a little pepper and pour over the mushrooms. You can top with grated cheese if you want to (or add a bit of grated parmesan to the pastry instead)

Bake for 45 minutes, until set.

You can use any filling you like, just kinda follow the guidelines.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Martina's Bread Recipe

4 eggs

200g philadelphia cheese

100g creme fraiche

170g linseed (flax seeds)

2 tsp baking powder

100g ground almonds

30g wheat bran

bread spice = caraway seeds, aniseed, cumin seed (ground) mixed together

grease a 2lb loaf tin

mix eggs, 1/2 tsp of bread spice and philadelphia with creme fraiche till its soft and fluffy, stir in the linseed, almonds and baking powder and roughly 30g of wheatbran to make it into a soft dough.

line a baking tin with greaseproof paper and bake at 180C for 50-55 minutes.

Spread with lots of butter and sprinkle with a bit of salt and finely chopped fresh herbs, or just top with whatever you want.

roo.be

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Best Basic Low Carb Cheesecake

I just made a cheesecake yesterday but the traditional way with a sweetmeal biscuit base. This alternative looks great so I'll give it a try.

I've not heard of the sweetner product. Where can I get it from?

Thanks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Mercy's Mexican Fudge

Sounds nice - and the kind of thing that can be frozen in batches and defrosted as needed.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

you have to google it

deadwood2

Oh lord, another DBUK sponsored carpet-bag product.

Do you have any recipes by Serena, per chance?

TPO

Re: Low Carb Recipes.

sue32 said:
Crustless Quiche
Fry 2 onions and 2 cloves garlic until soft and golden in 2 tbsp olive oil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together 4 ozs grated strong cheese, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tsp mustard, black pepper. Beat together 3 eggs with 300mls double cream or creme fraiche and add to the bowl with the cooked onions. Mix all well together then bake in a greased cake tin for 40-50 mins at Gas 5. You'll have to convert into deg C yourselves, no good at that!!! I use a silicon cake tin, no need to grease and the quiche just glides out.
I do prefer this cold with salad, but it's ab fab!!!

I just made this. Its yummy. A bit too much onion for me though so I might try adding more cheese and maybe throw in some tomatoes instead. Or chicken.

WhitbyJet

Quick meal

Courgette Ragout:

4 courgettes, thinly sliced or grated (not too fine)
1 pepper, thinly sliced
2 onions, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
300ml coconut milk
salt, pepper, 2 Tbsp curry powder
Butter or ghee

Melt butter or ghee, fry onions and garlic, medium heat till golden, add courgettes, pepper and seasoning, sautee for 10mins or so, add coconut milk, adjust seasoning.

We had this with low carb, very meaty sausages and a slice of buttered low carb bread that I bake myself.
Non-low carbers enjoyed this meal just the same, so nothing extra to cook to cater for the "other side" of my lovely family :D

minitata

Low Carb 'Bread'

I made this the other day, It tastes really good, very filling but is high in calories.

40 grams flax seed powder
40 grams ground almonds
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 medium egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon milk

Put dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Beat egg and add to mixture with oil and milk.

Mix well, if it is too stiff add a little more milk.

Grease a small microwaveable bowl and add mixture.

Level on top.

Place in microwave and cook on full power for 1 minute.

It should be springy on top. If not cook 10 seconds at a time.

Don't overcook.

Eat while very fresh - even still warm. I could only eat half of it - a whole one is 623 calories, 15 grams of carbs, 14 grams of fibre. I used an American site to work out the details so it is 1 gram net carbs

MTT

WhitbyJet

Another low carb bread

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.p ... &Itemid=56

I have made this for the first time this morning, its delicious, a slice of fried bread with eggs and bacon, divine is all I can say.

LSA = a mixture of finely ground golden flaxseed, sunflower seed and almonds, NZers can buy this ready made, I ground mine in the coffee grinder.

Wish there was such a thing as low carb baked beans though, just one tablespoon of baked beans brought on a spike from 5.3 to 9.1 :cry:

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:D Hi people, I got a recipe for Cauliflower tortilla chips of this forum - posted by Patch a while back. Been trying to make them. Cut everything to one third because there is only me. Tried to do this twice now, I am really going wrong somewhere. The mixture just will not go thin enough to make tortilla chips from. Do I need to blitz it in a blender to make a paste thin enough ? I think the thread was - using nuts for snacks at night. Which led to other snacks, this being one of them. If you see this Patch, help !! I still want to try them. So far I have had two cauliflower and cheese omellettes. :lol: :lol:

WhitbyJet

More Bread

I got myself a second hand breadmaker from ebay, cost me just £7, was dying to try out these bread recipes.
Oh my, I am in heaven, cant believe that I am eating all this food yet my weight is stable.

Note: the only ingredient not available in the UK is the LSA flour, I emailed the manufacturer of this and it turns out its L(inseed) S(unflower seed) A(lmonds) - so a mixture of those finely ground.
You do that in a coffee grinder, again I got mine from ebay, I am a cheapskate alright.

I also have a recipe for a multiseed loaf:

150g Mascarpone or Creme Fraiche or Philadelphia
4 eggs
90g linseeds, I preferr golden linseeds, they are nuttier I think
1tbsp almond flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt, caraway seeds
40g sunflower seeds
10g sesame or sunflower or pumpkin seeds
70g Butter, softened

Mix all ingredients really well together, you dont need a mixer, just stir with a wooden spoon. Fill into a lined baking tin, or better still use one of those silicon bakeware thingies. Sprinkle with extra seeds of your choice if liked.
Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, fan assisted 150C or 165C without fan.

I sometimes use garlic and herb philadelphia or add sliced olives or sundried tomatoes, or add fennel or anis seeds, so play around with it.
Delicious spread with butter and topped with fresh finely chopped herbs, sprinkling of salt.

And another white bread:
2 eggs
160g low fat soft cheese or low fat curd cheese (smooth) drain off the whey
100g almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp locust bean gum
Salt

Mix all ingredients together really well, bake in a 20cm loaf tin or silicon dish (I tend to make double quantity to give me bigger slices)
Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 30-35 mins.

Again if you want to add herbs or anything else, just play around with the recipe, experiment.

I once ran out of gluten powder, used Xanthan Gum instead and it turned out ok too.

Its lovely lightly toasted under the grill spread with butter and sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon.

Tip: to make lining a tin easier, wet the greaseproof paper, scrumple it up into a ball, then smooth it out, so much easier than faffing around with slippery dry greaseproof paper.

WhitbyJet

Iced chocolates

Iced chocolate

You will need:

100 g of coconut oil
1 cup (30g) desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
30 Confectionary foil cups or similar

Melt the coconut, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Divide mixture between 30 foil cups.. Garnish with a little coconut.

Chill in the fridge or freezer until set and dont eat them all at once. I place mine in the freezer, these little chocs will melt slowly on your tongue, very decadent, tiny amount of carbs.

Here is a link so you can see what they look like

http://veglchf.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/ischoklad/

Reactions: lorraine95

WhitbyJet

Almost Bounty Bars

These have proved to be very popular with family and friends

Ingredients:
100ml Zsweet or sweetener of your choice (taste the mixture)
50 g coconut oil
100ml double cream
100ml coconut milk (preferably organic coconut milk from Blue Dragon because of the low carbohydrate value)
200 g desiccated coconut
100 g of chocolate with high cocoa content (> 70%) Lidl's is good for this

Carefully, in a saucepan, melt coconut and sweetener..
Add the coconut milk, cream, grated coconut and let it simmer.
Stir well and leave in the fridge for about an hour.
Shape the mixture into 12-14 square-like pieces.
Put the pieces in the freezer and leave for one hour.
Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave.
Dip the coconut bars in the melted chocolate.
Place in the freezer to cool, then store in the fridge.

Nutritional breakdown and what they look like is here:
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=524

Reactions: lorraine95

Grazer

The almost bounty bars and iced chocolate sound magnificent. Have you got the nutritional breakdown Whitby Jet? You posted a link but I hate to admit I don't speak Martian! Isn't dessicated coconut high in carbs? I'd still give it a go, but would like to know what I'm letting myself in for
Malc

WhitbyJet

:lol: Martian :lol: - you cheeky :!:

Actually Swedish language
coconut oil = 0 carbs
cream = 3 carbs
coconut milk =3.5 carbs
shredded coconut = 6.8 carbs
72% chocolate = 34 carbs
sweetener = 0 carbs

Total carbs = 47.3

I hope this is helpful

Grazer

Sounds fantastic Whitby! 47 carbs sounds a lot, but I guess it's spread over quite a large quantity?
You break it into 12 to 14 bits which is say 4grams a bit - is each bit a fair sized chunk?
Answer quick! I'm on the way to the kitchen!