Insulin Index of Yoghurt - Fact or Error

M

Member496333

My understanding is that eating anything causes insulin secretion. In order of quantity;

Carbohydrate > protein > fat

BloodThirsty

Just found this:

Cream and butter do not raise levels of insulin as much as yogurt, cottage cheese and any milk product with casein or whey. Therefore, the amino acid content of milk may also hold responsibility for the insulin spikes. ... These are the amino acids present in whey in the highest concentrations.

The way I interpret that is that cream and yogurt will raise insulin levels (yogurt more than cream) and it's the amino acid content which is partially responsible for insulin spikes. I used the word partially because the obvious culprit will be the carbs (including sugar) and that will vary, sometimes the low fat has more sugar.
Thank you for this. Your ferreting has uncovered a plausible reason why yoghurt might induce a high insulin spike.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve never heard of “Insulin Index”. On reading up on it; my first question would be “You would have to know someone’s “Insulin Resistance” for that day to apply it in the control of blood sugar levels.

Im also not a big fan of GI index. It lists foods item by item but no way to calculate combinations of foods e.g. Porridge made with Oats, Milk and some Sugar. Which is it? High, Med or Low

As mentioned in previous posts; These indexes are derived by testing on non diabetic test subjects as well.

BloodThirsty

I’ve never heard of “Insulin Index”. On reading up on it; my first question would be “You would have to know someone’s “Insulin Resistance” for that day to apply it in the control of blood sugar levels.

Im also not a big fan of GI index. It lists foods item by item but no way to calculate combinations of foods e.g. Porridge made with Oats, Milk and some Sugar. Which is it? High, Med or Low

As mentioned in previous posts; These indexes are derived by testing on non diabetic test subjects as well.
I am not a member of the GI fan club either, but I was intriqued why yoghurt (a frequent standby on my LCHF keto diet should cause an insulin spike.
Hence the question...

Reactions: JohnEGreen

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The authors of the study are same and similar to those who developed the Glycaemic Index (GI) and Glycaemic load (GL) for foods.
And the ratings are different in the sense that with the GI the upper limit was glucose, which had a 100 % rating, whereas in this paper they use white bread as the comparator for this insulin index (SI) and this is white bread not an upper limit.
This newer index and its comparator make it impossible I believe to make direct comparisons between GI and SI.
What is more I cannot see how this SI helps T1s and T2s.
Why? Because that would be comparing on the one hand people with normal functioning pancreas glands with either people with near none or very low pancreatic function (of insulin) ie T1, who rely on insulin injections delivering a different pattern of insulin levels in the blood from non-diabetics or, T2s who release varying amounts of insulin in excess of normal amounts and a different pattern of release of insulin again, compared to non-diabetics.
So the SI measured for yoghurt in this study on non-diabetics cannot be used to inform to T2 diabetics, nor T1 diabetics.
The study does show that protein and fats can affect insulin secretion in the non-diabetics but that does not provide any way of predicting exactly what happens in diabetics.
So try the food and see what is does to one's BSL in relation to your weight, type of diabetes, medications used, if any, and amount of exercise. End of story.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The authors of the study are same and similar to those who developed the Glycaemic Index (GI) and Glycaemic load (GL) for foods.
And the ratings are different in the sense that with the GI the upper limit was glucose, which had a 100 % rating, whereas in this paper they use white bread as the comparator for this insulin index (SI) and this is white bread not an upper limit.
This newer index and its comparator make it impossible I believe to make direct comparisons between GI and SI.
What is more I cannot see how this SI helps T1s and T2s.
Why? Because that would be comparing on the one hand people with normal functioning pancreas glands with either people with near none or very low pancreatic function (of insulin) ie T1, who rely on insulin injections delivering a different pattern of insulin levels in the blood from non-diabetics or, T2s who release varying amounts of insulin in excess of normal amounts and a different pattern of release of insulin again, compared to non-diabetics.
So the SI measured for yoghurt in this study on non-diabetics cannot be used to inform to T2 diabetics, nor T1 diabetics.
The study does show that protein and fats can affect insulin secretion in the non-diabetics but that does not provide any way of predicting exactly what happens in diabetics.
So try the food and see what is does to one's BSL in relation to your weight, type of diabetes, medications used, if any, and amount of exercise. End of story.
On the plus side it kept a research team in employment for years.