Stress and Blood Glucose Levels - Thoughts?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
This thread has been an interesting read. Before I was diagnosed in February of this year, I had a period of about 2 months of unrelenting acute stress that was so bad that I found myself regularly locking myself in the bathroom to cry for an hour or two, barely managing to sleep at night, hardly able to eat etc. Shortly afterwards I started feeling even worse than usual and peeing a lot, which prompted me to go to the GP where I was then diagnosed. I've often wondered whether the stress was some kind of contributing factor in getting ill and reading this it seems it might have been!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread has been an interesting read. Before I was diagnosed in February of this year, I had a period of about 2 months of unrelenting acute stress that was so bad that I found myself regularly locking myself in the bathroom to cry for an hour or two, barely managing to sleep at night, hardly able to eat etc. Shortly afterwards I started feeling even worse than usual and peeing a lot, which prompted me to go to the GP where I was then diagnosed. I've often wondered whether the stress was some kind of contributing factor in getting ill and reading this it seems it might have been!

It certainly felt that way to me, as I said. No way of proving it, however. Learning to deal with stress is something that could be taught or at least discussed in school or by GPs. Forewarned is forearmed maybe.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Stress raises blood sugar. I can feel it. Stress isn't always negative of course but it raised and raises my blood sugar which is a pain. An analogy: just swimming raises my blood sugar - which seems kind of counter-intuitive. There is a reduction in levels a few hours later. Anxiety, grief, etc, as one would expect, seems to cause longer-term stress via high blood sugar which seems not to drop conveniently a few hours later!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did anybody see the Truth about Stress this week on the BBC. There were some really good techniques tested and I think it is great that teachers are being trained to teach mindfulness techniques in schools.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Wonderful that you took the time to monitor your BGs during this stress event. As a Type 1 abnormal stress definitely impacts my BGs and as a result I spent a lot of time and focus in finding a job that did not stress me out - Unfortunately it took a long time to find one LOL

My best example of a stressful impact was years ago when I was driving the kids to school. It was February (winter) and I rolled my vehicle in to a deep ditch after hitting a sheet of ice on the road. We regained consciousness up side down - we were all rushed to hospital via ambulance to get stitched up

When I took my BGs before we left I was sitting at 6.5 - when I told the first responders I was type 1 they took my BGs and I was in the 15s - my blood Pressure was high too - I guess a bad accident will do that to you - we all got the day off though ...
That would certainly qualify as acute stress! I had a Freestyle Libe sensor on, so I didn't do any finger prick tests.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes blood glucose always rises in response to stress, this is because the adrenal cortex releases cortisol in stressful situations, it is nicknamed "the stress hormone". Cortisol promotes the formation of glucose, which is why you experienced a higher level than normal.

Atnes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My last hba1c reading was 64. Now three months later it is 44. Does that mean I am reversing my T2 ?

Sjr83x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 22795

I thought this was interesting. This past Tuesday I had a very stressful event occur while I had a Freestyle Libre sensor running. I'm a recovering type 2 and I like to see how things are going occasionally by using a Freestyle Libre sensor.

A little background: The stressful event was a mediated meeting with a person with apparent mental health issues. We are both in the same volunteer organization and the person made hateful and delusional posts to and about me on the organization's closed Facebook page. Essentially, they thought I was a negative influence on the organization and wanted me out and thought that could be achieved by posting outlandish attacks on me online. The person was immediately suspended and the organization's leadership thought the best way to resolve this was mediation between the two of us.

So, the meeting was this past Tuesday at 7:30 pm. I got there a bit early at 7:20 pm and I felt stressed as soon as I got there. The meeting started at 7:35 pm. It lasted about 10 minutes. The graph above shows my blood glucose levels before, during, and after the meeting. I did not have any carbs before the meeting, or even that day. It's quite impressive how high my BG went up.

There was a satisfactory ending: about 30 seconds after the person began to speak (after I had a chance to speak about the situation for about 5 minutes first), the meeting was shut down and the person immediately ejected from the oganization due to the crazy things they started saying. It took quite a bit of self-restraint for me to not leap over the table and throttle the person. It was probably the most stressful moment in many years for me.

I suspect that chronic stress is also not good for BG levels, so I think it's important to focus on more than just food when it comes to controlling blood glucose levels. I suspect that the reason taking a half hour walk 5 days a week works to lower blood glucose levels is that it acts to lower stress. Reduction of chronic stress is definitely something I need to work on.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or personal experiences with respect to acute and/or chronic stress and blood glucose levels?

Hi. I'm type 1 20 years and have been constantly struggled with my sugar levels being up and down. Recently it was suggested to me to try halving the amount of insulin I take out of work vs at work. And it worked. Basically the stress of my job means my sugars were up all the time at work but if I ate the same thing at home and had the same doses of insulin I would have so many lows. Now I can have no insulin for many meals at home that I would take 8 or 9 units of novorapid at work for and I run level. Which I would never believed. Stress makes a huge huge difference and I wish someone had told me this 15 years ago.

malmihdar

View attachment 22795

I thought this was interesting. This past Tuesday I had a very stressful event occur while I had a Freestyle Libre sensor running. I'm a recovering type 2 and I like to see how things are going occasionally by using a Freestyle Libre sensor.

A little background: The stressful event was a mediated meeting with a person with apparent mental health issues. We are both in the same volunteer organization and the person made hateful and delusional posts to and about me on the organization's closed Facebook page. Essentially, they thought I was a negative influence on the organization and wanted me out and thought that could be achieved by posting outlandish attacks on me online. The person was immediately suspended and the organization's leadership thought the best way to resolve this was mediation between the two of us.

So, the meeting was this past Tuesday at 7:30 pm. I got there a bit early at 7:20 pm and I felt stressed as soon as I got there. The meeting started at 7:35 pm. It lasted about 10 minutes. The graph above shows my blood glucose levels before, during, and after the meeting. I did not have any carbs before the meeting, or even that day. It's quite impressive how high my BG went up.

There was a satisfactory ending: about 30 seconds after the person began to speak (after I had a chance to speak about the situation for about 5 minutes first), the meeting was shut down and the person immediately ejected from the oganization due to the crazy things they started saying. It took quite a bit of self-restraint for me to not leap over the table and throttle the person. It was probably the most stressful moment in many years for me.

I suspect that chronic stress is also not good for BG levels, so I think it's important to focus on more than just food when it comes to controlling blood glucose levels. I suspect that the reason taking a half hour walk 5 days a week works to lower blood glucose levels is that it acts to lower stress. Reduction of chronic stress is definitely something I need to work on.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or personal experiences with respect to acute and/or chronic stress and blood glucose levels?

Hi, thank you for sharing the graph. It is very interesting and I agree that stressful events do raise the glucose levels and it is important to take into consideration. I just wanted to ask, since you are using the Freestyle Libre, how did you get the readings every 20 minutes? I was under the impression that the Libre only shows the glucose level when scanned? Thanks.

M

Member496333

Another latecomer here :)

Yes I have seen the exact same reaction about a year ago. I went from a stable baseline of ~5 right up into the region of ~9 in less than an hour simply through a heated family argument. I think most of us are aware of the notion that stress increases blood glucose, but there’s a disconnect, and I doubt that the majority appreciate the very real and measurable effect it can have on those of us with insulin dysfunction.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you for sharing the graph. It is very interesting and I agree that stressful events do raise the glucose levels and it is important to take into consideration. I just wanted to ask, since you are using the Freestyle Libre, how did you get the readings every 20 minutes? I was under the impression that the Libre only shows the glucose level when scanned? Thanks.

You can export a file which shows all the readings, scanned and not scanned, every 15 minutes throughout the whole 2 weeks. I tend to export mine once a day, move it to an excel sheet and organise/sort it according to how I prefer it. Brilliant to see all the little bumps and waves, especially overnight.

Reactions: zauberflote

malmihdar

You can export a file which shows all the readings, scanned and not scanned, every 15 minutes throughout the whole 2 weeks. I tend to export mine once a day, move it to an excel sheet and organise/sort it according to how I prefer it. Brilliant to see all the little bumps and waves, especially overnight.

Thank you, I did not know that. Very useful and helpful.

Reactions: zauberflote

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Given the events of the last 24-48 hours I'm too scared to test myself before my blood test tomorrow!

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just been to the dentist with a broken tooth (I am very nervous about the dentist) I too am currently wearing a libre sensor and my blood glucose shot up whilst I was waiting. I put it down to the sweet potato and butternut squash( soup (home made) I’d eaten about an hour earlier - which may well have contributed, but the spike was high for me, maybe the stress added. In general it’s a stressful time as my dad has terminal cancer and dementia, so my readings this time do seem to be higher than previously.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
That's fine, testing today won't make any difference to the test results tomorrow. I wish you all the best of luck.
I know. It would be nice to.......avoid stress.

I'm dreading tomorrow.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It definitely does raise sugar , I remember when I had a really stressful event occur a few weeks into lchf I didn't post on here but i went from 10.8 right up to 18.9 within an hour and my husband got me to calm down and it started to drop I went to sleep on 15 and when i woke it was just under 10 and since then I have really tried to stay chilled out it does me no good reacting . Easier said than done I know .

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@NoCrbs4Me oh boy do I have an opinion. But first, I’m glad the meeting resolved for you and bg went back to where it belonged!
I think that 28 years of chronic bad stress put me in line to be at least preD. My kids really took it out of me, and the second did not learn to sleep until he was 9. Years! Old. So 9 years of severe sleep deprivation all those years ago, coupled with his ongoing behavior even after he moved out a year+ ago, set me up for more than ordinary stress helping to take care, long distance, of my now-91-yr-old mom, who is also no longer long distance as of a few months ago.
Also my yoyo weight gain/loss pattern, and stress eating of the bad stuff, and... genetic predisposition. Arrgghh.
That chart of yours is terrifying, actually! Thanks for posting a real-time image of stress!

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I’ve just been to the dentist with a broken tooth (I am very nervous about the dentist) I too am currently wearing a libre sensor and my blood glucose shot up whilst I was waiting. I put it down to the sweet potato and butternut squash( soup (home made) I’d eaten about an hour earlier - which may well have contributed, but the spike was high for me, maybe the stress added. In general it’s a stressful time as my dad has terminal cancer and dementia, so my readings this time do seem to be higher than previously.

Hugs to you for your eldercare!