Do Zero-Carb Foods Make You Hypo?

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking at the insulin index, and was interested in how insulinogenic some zero-carb foods are (for instance, most animal protein). Being something of a voracious carnivore myself, I've had huge steak, chicken or fish lunches, but they keep me full forever and I don't hypo from them. On the other hand, one sugar cookie will have me shaking and sweating in no time.

Anyway, super curious, are hypos in response to insulinogenic proteins something that can happen?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was looking at the insulin index, and was interested in how insulinogenic some zero-carb foods are (for instance, most animal protein). Being something of a voracious carnivore myself, I've had huge steak, chicken or fish lunches, but they keep me full forever and I don't hypo from them. On the other hand, one sugar cookie will have me shaking and sweating in no time.

Anyway, super curious, are hypos in response to insulinogenic proteins something that can happen?

Being curious is strangely okay, you need to know because it will help with how you get to grips with the RH and avoid the food that causes symptoms.

My food diary is my best friend, and getting those results from experience and experimenting, was a real eye opener!
However I cannot answer your question because it is so individual. But, I will give you an idea of what you are going to find out. You have already realised that carbs are the real enemy with sugars a close second. The glycaemic index, would suggest that high GI carbs are the worst, but I have found that a carb is a carb, regardless of what the index says, it will still spike my blood sugar, and cause and trigger the symptoms and hypos. It is the same with the insulin index. However, it also depends on what protein and good healthy fats you have with the carbs, because good fats will slow digestion process. Too much protein is also not recommended either. Too much of one particular food is always not healthy.
The need to find a dietary balance, is essential to your health.
This is where your food diary will help.
It will show you which foods to avoid, which foods you have an intolerance to.
I knew I had lactose intolerance from early years, but it is the lactose that causes the glucose derived to cause the spike.
I also have wheat and grain intolerance. But the worst for me is the potatoes!
The spike I get from the starchy vegetables are really high. I can go from normal fasting levels to mid teens within half an hour!
That is called glucose dumping.

Hypos are caused by an overshoot of insulin, because the spike is too much from the initial insulin response, the brain signals the pancreas to provide more insulin, but it does not switch off and the excess insulin drives the blood sugar levels down into Hypoglycaemia.
That is why, if you don't spike, you don't go hypo!

Good question

Best wishes

Reactions: Coolifornia

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Lamont D ! I'm keeping a food diary from now on too. I've thought about investing in a Freestyle Libre to see any patterns. I have a regular glucose monitor but poking my finger every time isn't fun. :)

I like your mantra, no spike no hypo. I've found that there are some carbs I apparently do tolerate, based on experience. I had a slice of toasted Ezekiel bread (really dense, fiber-heavy flourless bread with no sugar and good protein, marketed as low GI ) topped with almond butter, along with my usual breakfast of eggs. Went to work, did not feel even a little hypo and felt "normal" hunger by mid-day! Woohoo! That definitely made me happy, hehe. All a matter of experimentation.

Reactions: briped and Lamont D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that the bread I make with milled seeds, lots of fibre rich powders, doesn't cause spikes when eaten in moderation - the recipe is in my blog, though it is still an ongoing project.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Lamont D ! I'm keeping a food diary from now on too. I've thought about investing in a Freestyle Libre to see any patterns. I have a regular glucose monitor but poking my finger every time isn't fun. :)

I like your mantra, no spike no hypo. I've found that there are some carbs I apparently do tolerate, based on experience. I had a slice of toasted Ezekiel bread (really dense, fiber-heavy flourless bread with no sugar and good protein, marketed as low GI ) topped with almond butter, along with my usual breakfast of eggs. Went to work, did not feel even a little hypo and felt "normal" hunger by mid-day! Woohoo! That definitely made me happy, hehe. All a matter of experimentation.
Hi again.
It is the way forward, you will get to see trends in your blood sugar levels because of the low carb diet, if you continue with testing, for a few months, there will be variations with readings because, your lower glucose, insulin and hopefully insulin resistance, your tolerance to certain carbs will differ.
Stopping the rollercoaster ride of blood sugar, will help with your health and how your body responds to your protein, eating good fats will also help.
I have only felt hunger, a few times since diagnosis, it is a great feeling to have no hunger especially when you are avoiding food and also have great energy.
Not worrying about food is really a experience, not having to eat at every meal time or sticking to breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper! No big meals, just enough for nutritional needs.
Don't get me wrong, I love eating, but it doesn't consume my life any more.
Finding your balance is the way forward!

Reactions: Coolifornia

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that the bread I make with milled seeds, lots of fibre rich powders, doesn't cause spikes when eaten in moderation - the recipe is in my blog, though it is still an ongoing project.
That's awesome, I will check it out!