EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My 88 year old T2 Dad is staying with me in New Zealand for 3 months to escape the English winter. He has an extremely itchy spot on the top of one foot which has been on going for a couple of months. He's had ecszma (sp?) type rashes elsewhere which his GP gave him meds for, but this one is weird because there's no obvious marks. There is a drop in clinic that I'll take him to if I have to, but I thought I'd ask around here first. At this stage we're wondering

1) something that just happens to people as they age?
2) an allergic reaction to one of his many medications? (statins, blood pressure pills, blood thinners, gliclazide for T2, cocodamol for pain)
3) is this a known diabetic complication? His last hba1c was 54, but he's been going low carb since he came here and I taught him to use his blood testing meter, and am pretty sure his next one will be significantly less.

I know you're not doctors and can't diagnose, but would be very interested if anyone had experienced anything similar....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’d probably rule out the allergy option as I doubt it would be so localised.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Could it be a neuropathy symptom? If so, there's a chance it will abate naturally with lower blood sugars....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @EllieM, How bothersome for your father and troubling for you.
Perhaps perusal of harvard.health.edu - Itching without rash might help you ??

Hilary29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 88 year old T2 Dad is staying with me in New Zealand for 3 months to escape the English winter. He has an extremely itchy spot on the top of one foot which has been on going for a couple of months. He's had ecszma (sp?) type rashes elsewhere which his GP gave him meds for, but this one is weird because there's no obvious marks. There is a drop in clinic that I'll take him to if I have to, but I thought I'd ask around here first. At this stage we're wondering

1) something that just happens to people as they age?
2) an allergic reaction to one of his many medications? (statins, blood pressure pills, blood thinners, gliclazide for T2, cocodamol for pain)
3) is this a known diabetic complication? His last hba1c was 54, but he's been going low carb since he came here and I taught him to use his blood testing meter, and am pretty sure his next one will be significantly less.

I know you're not doctors and can't diagnose, but would be very interested if anyone had experienced anything similar....
It might be dry skin as eczema is a dry skin complaint. Try something like E45.

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM - If your Dad is taking Metformin it could be that. I seem to recall a few folks on here commenting on itches. I appreciate it's not on the list you posted.

I'm not sure if that helps you any, or if that's just anothe 30 seconds you won't get back.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@EllieM well, if it goes during his low carb stay you might have the answer to the neuropathy question.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM - Has your Father tried an antihistamine cream on his foot at all? Bearing in mind he's on a few meds, I'd be nervy suggesting ot trying an oral antihistamine.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a condition known as diabetic pruritis. Insanely itchy skin for no obvious reason. Its another complication that can occur with diabetes. Perhaps it might be this, just a suggestion.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have something known as 'Nummular eczema' on my lower legs which is exacerbated with dry skin. The symptoms apparently are variable between individuals, but with me there is a very small lump on the skin which is indeed insanely itchy. My GP prescribed a steroid ointment which works after about a day - only a tiny amount needed. The itchy areas come and go, worse in very dry winter weather.

Only a suggestion, probably best if your Dad gets a medical opinion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Itching is associated with healing - could your father have injured that area - possibly some time ago so there is no bruise, but only now be repairing tissue or bone damage?
My father's family were nurses and midwives back in the day, and they saw quite a few instances of people causing dreadful infections by trying to scratch the itch inside plaster casts using knitting needles.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like neuropathy to me. Sugar levels affect it. Has he had pain in his feet?

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get itchy feet for no apparent reason..it can be really annoying at night.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spoke to the doctor yesterday, going to see her on thursday. She told me the issue isn't likely to be the gliclazide because I have been on it a while and side effects usually come out quicker. Not confinced, I know what my body is like with drugs.

I was off them since friday and the itchiness lowered, had a tablet yesterday (on her advice) and I am sure it's increased again. Oh well see what thursday brings :)