Anyone else feel their Doctor(s) let them down ?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I went for my HbA1c this morning. I anticipate it in the 7s so my operation still won't be possible. Then into work where its hell on earth and I get stabbed in the back by a colleague. I think my stress levels just artificially inflate my readings anyway because I am permanently on edge.

I just want to go and curl up in a corner and cry..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You do need to de stress as stress will raise blood sugars substantially I know it's easier said than done but there are somethings you can try and do to relieve the stress.

Stay positive. Laughter has been found to lower levels of stress hormones.

Meditate. This practice of inward-focused thought and deep breathing has been shown to reduce stress Meditation's close relatives, yoga and prayer, can also relax the mind and body.

Exercise. Every time you are physically active, whether you take a walk or play tennis, your body releases mood-boosting chemicals called endorphins. Exercising melts away stress,

Unplug. It's impossible to escape stress when it follows you everywhere. Cut the cord. Avoid emails and TV news. Take time each day — even if it's for just 10 or 15 minutes — to escape from the world.

Find ways to take the edge off your stress. Simple things, like a warm bath, listening to music, or spending time on a favorite hobby, can give you a much-needed break from the stressors in your life.

Stay strong don't give up and may be your HbA1c won't be quite as bad as you fear. Hugs and best wishes to you.:)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I just want to go and curl up in a corner and cry..[/QUOTE]#

So understand that feeling. Its tough, when we try so hard to look after ourselves.
Stress, maybe thats part of it for me, as well as you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You do need to de stress as stress will raise blood sugars substantially I know it's easier said than done but there are somethings you can try and do to relieve the stress.

Stay positive. Laughter has been found to lower levels of stress hormones.

Meditate. This practice of inward-focused thought and deep breathing has been shown to reduce stress Meditation's close relatives, yoga and prayer, can also relax the mind and body.

Exercise. Every time you are physically active, whether you take a walk or play tennis, your body releases mood-boosting chemicals called endorphins. Exercising melts away stress,

Unplug. It's impossible to escape stress when it follows you everywhere. Cut the cord. Avoid emails and TV news. Take time each day — even if it's for just 10 or 15 minutes — to escape from the world.

Find ways to take the edge off your stress. Simple things, like a warm bath, listening to music, or spending time on a favorite hobby, can give you a much-needed break from the stressors in your life.

Stay strong don't give up and may be your HbA1c won't be quite as bad as you fear. Hugs and best wishes to you.:)
Thank you.

Reactions: johnme

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just want to go and curl up in a corner and cry..
#

So understand that feeling. Its tough, when we try so hard to look after ourselves.
Stress, maybe thats part of it for me, as well as you.[/QUOTE]
Oh its certainly a huge factor in me...sadly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling very let down and low indeed. Just had results for new HbA1c 42.
Doctors comment "No action needed"
Lot of you will be looking at that and thinking its good - except two months ago was 37. First one was 43, so almost back to start.
Have to assume its because I am now less active and consuming more carbs in an effort to slow/halt the weight loss.
Went from 100g carbs to 120, but like I said also less active, not much need for gardening, decorating all done, bar a bit of touching up. Daily XBX programme and walking to town 3-4 times a week is about all the exercise atm. Its cold, wet and am lacking the will to go out there just for the sake of it.
So yes this week, small weight gain, but if HbA1c is up, thats not a good sign at all.

In my opinion, and I have may have missed why you don't already do this, I would be halving my carbs and increasing the fats quite considerably, and using my meter religiously whenever I eat until there is a turnaround..

Reactions: Patrick66

Ponchu

I have been given loads of bad advice from doctors and not just about diabetes but also about other critical situations. However, thanks to several life-saving operations, one lasting 12 hours under the knife, my life was saved on several occasions. I am very much grateful for that. Often we have no option but to accept the doctor's educated opinion and have faith that they are recommending what's best. Bad advice is worse than no advice so at least with diabetes blind faith is not required.

I’ve lost confidence in “day to day healthcare” and pill peddling but still hold surgery in high regard.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
In my opinion, and I have may have missed why you don't already do this, I would be halving my carbs and increasing the fats quite considerably, and using my meter religiously whenever I eat until there is a turnaround..

Have long term problem with digesting fat, so already restricted there (causes IBS) have managed to increase it slightly. Carbs was aiming for 100g a day max, but about six weeks ago increased to 120g as still losing weight. Seems this was a bad move.
Dont have a meter, am only pre diabetic, Doc wont provide one and have no income... its something nobody seems to discuss, but the recommended foods for pre diabetics (protein and fats) are more expensive than the carbs we are cutting out. Have no idea how we are going to manage for the next three years when we are trying to live on one pension.

edited for typo

Last edited:

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YES I dont feel I'm getting the care, advice , understanding etc I get hypers not hypos.. but NO advice given I had to chase my annual diabetic eye check....after 6 months I finally got an appt. Totally fed up . Tredegar

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
what is the operation ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think SlimLizzy is asking what the nature of your operation that you need is, that is, what is it for. This is of course entirely your own business and if you do not feel inclined to share that private information then there is no obligation what so ever to do so.

It has no bearing on this thread at all.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think SlimLizzy is asking what the nature of your operation that you need is, that is, what is it for. This is of course entirely your own business and if you do not feel inclined to share that private information then there is no obligation what so ever to do so.

It has no bearing on this thread at all.
Did not mean to be intrusive. Just seen it mentioned several times.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have long term problem with digesting fat, so already restricted there (causes IBS) have managed to increase it slightly. Carbs was aiming for 100g a day max, but about six weeks ago increased to 120g as still losing weight. Seems this was a bad move.
Dont have a meter, am only pre diabetic, Doc wont provide one and have no income... its something nobody seems to discuss, but the recommended foods for pre diabetics (protein and fats) are more expensive than the carbs we are cutting out. Have no idea how we are going to manage for the next three years when we are trying to live on one pension.

edited for typo
Have you experimented with different fats? Some may be better tolerated than others eg cream, cheese, nuts, avocado, meats,olive oil etc. Little and often as opposed to large amounts? You may of course have tried all this already. Just feel for you and would love to be able to offer something that might help

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
what is the operation ?
If you are asking me about the nature of my operation, it’s to repair an umbilical hernia which has become troublesome and aggravating.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

edited for typo

If you try the diet doctor website you can have a couple of weeks for free. Then in the menus section there is at least one low cost weekly menu. You could put together some weekly menus, download and save them and never have paid.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you try the diet doctor website you can have a couple of weeks for free. Then in the menus section there is at least one low cost weekly menu. You could put together some weekly menus, download and save them and never have paid.
Lots of stuff that’s always free on there. No need to join unless you want the meal plans rather than just info and recipes.

Reactions: johnme

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of stuff that’s always free on there. No need to join unless you want the meal plans rather than just info and recipes.
You're right. But to get to the low cost menu you have to be on the members' part of the site. I may write and point it out to them.