C peptide test

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi guys long time no hear :) So I went to see my consultant today and it wen t pretty well.He's put me forward for the 2 week libra trial which I'm over the moon about,also wants me to take a c peptide test through my urine.So here's my problem,I've the instructions on how to do the test but wondering will taking insulin with my morning meal after the result???he didn t mention anything regarding not taking my dose with meal so should I presume that I should go on as normal.and hope you's all been well and had a merry xmas :)))))))))))))))))))

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wiserkurtious, good to hear from you again (and good news about your Libre trial! :)).
So far as I understand it c-peptide can't be affected by injected insulin as it's a byproduct of natural insulin production from beta cells in the pancreas. It can be either a fasting or non-fasting test, however, so did your consultant tell you which to do?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wiserkurtious so this may be a bit more technical than you want, if so apologies. Basically, endogenous insulin (insulin made by the beta cells in the pancreas) doesn't start out as insulin, it starts out as a molecule called preproinsulin, then proinsulin. A series of cleavage steps happens, with bits getting chopped off until you get the final product, insulin. The C-peptide is one of those bits that gets chopped off (from the c terminal end of the protein, hence its name - biologists seem to be selectively imaginative). Injectable (exogenous) insulin doesn't have all these extra bits to be cleaved off, so there will be no c-peptide from it, so the only c-peptide the test will measure is what your own body is (or is not) producing.

Hope that helps!

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** good information there ty very much

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @wiserkurtious, good to hear from you again (and good news about your Libre trial! :)).
So far as I understand it c-peptide can't be affected by injected insulin as it's a byproduct of natural insulin production from beta cells in the pancreas. It can be either a fasting or non-fasting test, however, so did your consultant tell you which to do?

told to pee in a pot 2 hours after eating me morning meal the get the pee sample in asap

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hope you guys are well

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@wiserkurtious I'd add one thing though. WHile it can't be detected in a test, exogenous insulin does reduce the amount of insulin the body needs to produce, as it reduces glucose levels. If you are doing an unfasted test, I'd expect you to not take insulin to give your body the best possible chance to counter a rising glucose level and produce c-peptides.

I am aware of a friend who also did a fasted C-Peptide test and he was told to disable his pump and wait for six hours before the test, to give the body a change to react to whatever his glucose level was, as injected insulin inhibits this process.

Reactions: slip

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@wiserkurtious I'd add one thing though. WHile it can't be detected in a test, exogenous insulin does reduce the amount of insulin the body needs to produce, as it reduces glucose levels. If you are doing an unfasted test, I'd expect you to not take insulin to give your body the best possible chance to counter a rising glucose level and produce c-peptides.

I am aware of a friend who also did a fasted C-Peptide test and he was told to disable his pump and wait for six hours before the test, to give the body a change to react to whatever his glucose level was, as injected insulin inhibits this process.

I wasn t told any of this from my consultant,nurse or the instructions they sent me home with so I'm now hoping that I haven t messed up