what helps you decide what pump?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Cobia, The Dexcom G6 is not in Australia yet but the Tandem can be linked to the Dexcom G5 here.
But the software for the loop and the basal reduction for low BSLs is not here yet.
Given that FDA approval is still being sort in the US, the hybrid closed loop iq with G6 is not likely to be in Oz until ? early 2020.
I priced the G5 last week and it works out at AUS 6,700 per year. No subsidy unless one is diabetic and under 21, a pensioner or pregnant.
Yes the hybrid-closed loop looks fantastic but being 'downstream' from the source (U.S.) we have to wait !!

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks kitedoc. im looking at the flyer for the diabetes expo in april..... thinking maybe i should go.... only thing is id give em hell.

As far as im concerned the rules suck just on the cgm part...

Been checking out whether its possible to get the consumables on the dana its nuts that many in the supply chain no wonder there was issues 3 years ago. Ndss said to the pharmisist why get that one there is only 20 in aus.... thats no support via ndss...

Either way the better carb counting my endo wanted me to do is starting to pay off... but i think there is a real push toward medtronic .. not sure i want either of them....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks kitedoc. im looking at the flyer for the diabetes expo in april..... thinking maybe i should go.... only thing is id give em hell.

As far as im concerned the rules suck just on the cgm part...

Been checking out whether its possible to get the consumables on the dana its nuts that many in the supply chain no wonder there was issues 3 years ago. Ndss said to the pharmisist why get that one there is only 20 in aus.... thats no support via ndss...

Either way the better carb counting my endo wanted me to do is starting to pay off... but i think there is a real push toward medtronic .. not sure i want either of them....
Yes,@Cobia, it is a real minefield. The companies charge for their CGM product priced by market forces for us without subsidy. The Medtronic 640 is said to be waterproof and the hybrid loop is here but the CGM is not as good.
DANA seems not to have good tech support and as you say small usage leads to small storage of supplies.
Dexcom is the promised future.
With carb counting just note that contents info on packaging is not always accurate.
Some of it is still a 'suck it and see' approach I am afraid.
?Next catch
IMG_2862.jpg

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yep from what ive read dexcom is the promised future. Meanwhile best ive found is libre in bang for buck.

With the carb counting well even i can see i have to keep finding better resources.. dietitian leans toward calorieking where ive got this far on carbs and cals.... youd think both would be the same...

So far its better its better but the references to subway and mackas is nuts...

Last hba1c was 6.2 before it 6.7 its just diet choices. Went vlc insulin went from 50u to say 30 dietitian think you run out of liver storage didnt happpen. She thinks i should be having morning tea arvo tea and supper.... i have 2 meals a day what she wont under stand is its get the insulin to match your diet not the other way around.

My prob is i think i have to push the hba1c below 6 safely and ive gone as far as needles can go...tried the endos way 180 cho i was loosing at 50u tďd.

I wont go any further here a pm might be better to explain why im looking for a loopable pump....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Cobia, Dietitians seem very conservative when it comes to new ideas about diets. Part of that can be sheeted right home to the registering body of Aussie dietitians, the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) who also control curriculum and accrediting of dietetics courses at Universities and issues of post-graduate education.
They have de-registered dietitians for prescribing low carb diets to type 2 diabetics ( google - Jennifer Elliott vs DAA). And even tried it on an Aussie doctor (although I think the Medical Board later got wise and did re-register the doc).
The DAA so and so's do not even bother to declare that they are sponsored in part by the food industry.
Some doctors and dietitians (private, not registered with DAA) do prescribe Low carb diets in Oz ( LowCarbDownUnder).
And the drum about 3 meals a day and 3 snacks between has been an inflexible mantra from before I was diagnosed in 1966!
I guess they were thinking that if you spread the carbs out there was less overall large BSL rises but who has the time, who is not going to put on weight and why so many carbs.? In your teens and 20s, 30s with lots of activity maybe one needs the energy but flexibility is key and lots of different insulin regimes tailored better to suit each person, their work and lifestyle.
If you can manage on 2 meals a day and not feel famished then why cannot the dietitian bend their brain around that and devise a menu that meets your needs, (calorie, carb, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals) etc? They have the knowledge and skills, where is their courage.? And who is going to know, it is contract between you and the dietitian. No body else's b..... business.
Keep plugging away, (and so will I).

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
@kitedoc yep my endo is old fashioned is straght to the point. She recomended this dietitian im using. With the low carb her only concern is if the liver gets short of glucose... in reality 1 or 2 days a week i find a bakery or drving somewhere so atm low carb would sum me up not as strict as i was couple months ago... i took her by surprise with how i am running it. one thing she did point me to was low carb bread in aldies... :)

With the morning tea arvo tea ect i never had them before only when working in woolsheds.

After 3 years..... im still trying to get it better...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Great to have a dietitian on side, @Cobia. !! And one who has scoped out the supermarkets !!
There is some work to show that with ketones on board the brain is less susceptible to low BSLs.
And the protein eaten in a low carb diet - 50 % approx. of it will be changed by the liver to glucose and some of that stored in the liver. So the liver is probably better stocked than she may think.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yep im sure my team is good.

There is a bit of research on the effect of keytones and the brain and to a point insulin as well. Even tho i was told in no uncertain terms i had to go the carb route and ketones are all bad... they are still backing me even tho ive relaxed it. One thing that happen while in full ketosis for me was the levimir requirements doubled that was hovering around 1 by blood test over 3 or so months...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Glad to hear they are backing you even though it is different to their training/understanding !!
As I went low carb my bolus to basal went from 50:50 to 30:70.
Not sure with that matches your change in the basal (Levemir) but the upping of basal as the bolus doses drop seems to be the trend amongst others as well. Although the total dose per day drops.