Metformin for RH

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
My endocrinologist gave me 500mg of Metformin to take once a day to see if it helps. I have no signs of insulin resistance and the only implication that something is wrong is the massive adrenal response I get about 2 hours after a carb load. Has anyone else tried it for reactive hypoglycemia, does it really do anything?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Coolifornia, just to clarify: by "massive adrenal response' do you mean adrenaline response.
Just that there is more than one type of hormone in the adrenal gland !! ?

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Coolifornia, just to clarify: by "massive adrenal response' do you mean adrenaline response.
Just that there is more than one type of hormone in the adrenal gland !! ?

I should’ve specified - I meant the adrenergic syndrome aspect of reactive hypoglycemia, that awful release of epinephrine, norepinephrine, and cortisol that accompany low blood glucose levels and causes the shakes, sweats, fainting, etc. that we all love.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was on metformin, when misdiagnosed with T2.
My GP, advised me to stop taking it as soon as it was discovered, I was going hypo!
My endocrinologist also told me, it was unnecessary for me.
My endocrinologist gave me 500mg of Metformin to take once a day to see if it helps. I have no signs of insulin resistance and the only implication that something is wrong is the massive adrenal response I get about 2 hours after a carb load. Has anyone else tried it for reactive hypoglycemia, does it really do anything?

That is me, I don't know what the reason why.

You would have to ask your doctor.

Reactions: Coolifornia

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I should’ve specified - I meant the adrenergic syndrome aspect of reactive hypoglycemia, that awful release of epinephrine, norepinephrine, and cortisol that accompany low blood glucose levels and causes the shakes, sweats, fainting, etc. that we all love.
Hi @Coolifornia, I think it is the epinephrine/norepinephrine which cause the shakes sweats etc.
The cortisol reorganises the body for dealing with stress including upping one's insulin resistance longer term.

Coolifornia

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on metformin, when misdiagnosed with T2.
My GP, advised me to stop taking it as soon as it was discovered, I was going hypo!
My endocrinologist also told me, it was unnecessary for me.

That is me, I don't know what the reason why.

You would have to ask your doctor.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it! I haven't noticed any changes, neither good or bad. I'm going to try to convince my doc to order a prolonged insulin-response-to-glucose test, so we can get a bigger picture of what's going on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My understanding is that Metformin reduces liver dumps of glucose into the bloodstream (reduces, not stops).

So if your stress hormones are triggered by low bg, then their release acts to trigger the liver dump of glucose that raises bg.

Therefore, my suggestion would be that Metformin means your adrenals have to work even harder to sort out a hypo, needing more stress hormones to force enough glucose out of the liver, because normal liver dumps are somewhat suppressed by Metformin..

Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

On the other hand, being in ketosis means that there are ketones around to use as fuel, and my body is MUCH less ‘trigger happy’ with the stress hormones AND the liver dumps.

I have very mixed feeling about Metformin.
I think the way it lowers insulin resistance is fab.
I think the way is reduces liver dumps in non-RHers is fab.
I think its gut impact is terrible for some, negligible for others.
And I think it helps people to lower their HbA1c when combined with lifestyle changes.

As an RHer with an OK HbA1c and bg levels, the only benefit I want is lowered insulin resistance, since being in ketosis already suppresses liver dumps (by lowering glycogen storage levels) AND ketosis massively reduces my risk of a hypo in the first place.

Part of the above is a personal theory, part is experience of RH and ketosis, and part (the ketosis lowering the risk of hypos and making them milder) is documented, so I can dig up some references on it, if you like.

Reactions: Discovery22