LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some good news from this T1 of twenty years I thought I’d share...

I had a letter in October saying I’d been referred to the ophthalmologist as they’d seen maculopathy in my left eye and pre-proliferative retinopathy in my right after my routine eye scan. To say I was bricking myself for my hospital appointment today is an understatement.

The damage to my eyes they had spotted at my screening in the autumn has healed! My doctor said my eyes are actually in amazing condition even without considering I’ve had type one for twenty years, he said to “keep doing what you’re doing” - also “what _are_ you doing to keep your levels that good?” So I told him, he was quite impressed with the add on MiaoMiao to my Libre and the low carb food changes I’ve been making. And my eyesight is sharper than his :D

So it looks like it was **** control for two decades catching up with me, followed by the sudden drop in HbA1c level since last year (I went from 89 last winter to 37 now) that caused the problems, and that my good levels since have healed it (in that time the numbness in my toes has almost gone, the suicidal levels of pain I was getting in my jaw thanks to diabetes induced trigeminal neuralgia is no more than the odd twinge, my receding gums are gripping my teeth again, and I feel great for the first time since I was diagnosed in 98) - showing that some complications can be reversed if you maintain normal bg levels.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mel dCP I couldnt be happier for you and it is fascinating that it took so long for the problems to shake down after you went low carb. I am having a “significant” bleed behnd eye investigated at the mo so this gives me hope.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fabulous news @Mel dCP . I know you enjoy your LC way of living these days, but if ever you needed any encouragement this'd seem like a goer.

I'm going to tag @Frenchfancyxoxo here as she has sever pain in her lower limbs. I know that wasn't your pain, but I'd forgotten about you acute TN pain. Frenchfancy, hopefully your pain can resolve in time too, as your control has been better for longer.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some good news from this T1 of twenty years I thought I’d share

I had a letter in October saying I’d been referred to the ophthalmologist as they’d seen maculopathy in my left eye and pre-proliferative retinopathy in my right after my routine eye scan. To say I was bricking myself for my hospital appointment today is an understatement.

The damage to my eyes they had spotted at my screening in the autumn has healed! My doctor said my eyes are actually in amazing condition even without considering I’ve had type one for twenty years, he said to “keep doing what you’re doing” - also “what _are_ you doing to keep your levels that good?” So I told him, he was quite impressed with the add on MiaoMiao to my Libre and the low carb food changes I’ve been making. And my eyesight is sharper than his

So it looks like it was **** control for two decades catching up with me, followed by the sudden drop in HbA1c level since last year (I went from 89 last winter to 37 now) that caused the problems, and that my good levels since have healed it (in that time the numbness in my toes has almost gone, the suicidal levels of pain I was getting in my jaw thanks to diabetes induced trigeminal neuralgia is no more than the odd twinge, my receding gums are gripping my teeth again, and I feel great for the first time since I was diagnosed in 98) - showing that some complications can be reversed if you maintain normal bg levels.
You must have been feeling so stressed about todays appointment. Thinking the worst and hoping for the best. WOW! you have nailed it. Blasted those symptoms right out of the water. What an amazing drop in hba1c too!!! You must feel exstatic this evening. So happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Some good news from this T1 of twenty years I thought I’d share

The damage to my eyes they had spotted at my screening in the autumn has healed! My doctor said my eyes are actually in amazing condition even without considering I’ve had type one for twenty years, he said to “keep doing what you’re doing” - also “what _are_ you doing to keep your levels that good?” So I told him, he was quite impressed with the add on MiaoMiao to my Libre and the low carb food changes I’ve been making. And my eyesight is sharper than his

I am so glad to read this post. Huge big congratulatory hugs from me :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You must have been feeling so stressed about todays appointment. Thinking the worst and hoping for the best. WOW! you have nailed it. Blasted those symptoms right out of the water. What an amazing drop in hba1c too!!! You must feel exstatic this evening. So happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

2A66F898-25D5-4CC0-BED1-46CD23D497B6.jpeg

I was bricking it, as you can see from the adrenaline spike! But so glad it’s out of the way, I feel like I can move on :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful news, and I was worrying for you today. Very happy to have done some senseless worrying!
Your graph proved that having eye checks are bad for your eyes :p

Reactions: mike@work

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inspirational news @Mel dCP , thanks for sharing.

I would agree with you that (ironically.) a fast change to tight control can throw up issues in scans that have been "luckily" avoided with an "all clear" in the past.. It can feel like the proverbial kick in in the teeth.

Keep doing what you do...! :)

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Impressive work! I believe in managing to normal levels, but I know it’s not easy. I also understand that some can’t do it. But you’re doing it- nice job!

M

Member496333

Fantastic! I can empathise with you 100% - diagnosed through retinopathy which got slightly better intitially, but then exploded as my numbers came down. Bilateral laser treatment to seal the bleeds which then resulted in macular edema. My right eye was so bad that I thought I was going to go blind. Anti-VEGF injections have fixed that and it continues to improve. Vision restored. Dodged a bullet big time! So yeah, I know how you feel.

PS. Anti-VEGF is a nasty nasty nasty treatment. Look after your mince pies, folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ChrissiStar