why are some of us not happy with morning readings ?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think so. I was 54mmol diagnosed so not high really. Don’t know what my fbg was at that point officially but my testing was giving 7’s and 8’s. In 3 months I lost more than 2 stone and down to Hb1ac of 44 and 6’s and some 7’s and now nearly another stone Hb1ac slightly lower and still 6’s sometime 7’s
You are normal then cos those numbers are not high .

Reactions: jjraak

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t think I’ve been happy with my morning readings since diagnosis lol! (as I know they are too high). However it’s not from not trying to get them down.

I do take some comfort in knowing that my levels are gradually coming down the longer times goes on (although I still need my correct diagnosis and to tweak my medication).

Initially my fasting levels were approx 17, then 14, 13, 12 and now they sit on 10 usually.

I like to think of any progress as good progress :angelic:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies , I feel happier about that information and encouragement :)

@Charis1213 morning readings are often the last to come down. You seem to be doing fine. It’s difficult not to compare yourself to others, but I’d say it’s more important to develop a way of eating that suits you and your diabetes, understand your own trends and go from there.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 morning readings are often the last to come down. You seem to be doing fine. It’s difficult not to compare yourself to others, but I’d say it’s more important to develop a way of eating that suits you and your diabetes, understand your own trends and go from there.
thank you ,

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone think there is any relation to Hba1c and FBG at diagnosis, the amount of weight loss and current FBG? So I was Hba1c if 112/115 in dx (can’t remember). FBG if 22 so very high. Three months later Hba1c was 36 but I didn’t need to lose weight but with restricted diet I’ve lost around 5lbs that I didn’t want to lose. My FBG readings are normally 6s and 7s. Just curious if those with lower initial Hba1c but more weight to lose get better morning FBG readings.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. My morning (and other readings) are low, but I was diagnosed at HbA1c of 108 and looking back knowing what I know now, probably diabetic for a long time prior to diagnosis. I have to absolutely and consistently completely minimise carbs - doesn’t take many at all to raise levels. Luckily I enjoy eating that way and thrive on it.

To be honest I think this condition is so individual and it’s about finding a way of managing that you can sustain.

M

Member496333

Worth remembering as well that those that have low fasting numbers have likely been at it for a long time. It took me two years to get down into ~5mmol/L!

It can take a decade or more to develop diabetes and it can’t be fixed overnight. It’s not a race :)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth remembering as well that those that have low fasting numbers have likely been at it for a long time. It took me two years to get down into ~5mmol/L!

It can take a decade or more to develop diabetes and it can’t be fixed overnight. It’s not a race :)
that's very true and very good advise thank you Jim .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 Just reading through this thread shows how very different we all are. My FBG has never been high, even soon after diagnosis when I got my first meter 5 years ago. My monthly averages have been in the 5s for all that time. Yet my post meal rises were awful. It is obviously the way my body works.

My advice to you is keep away from the fasting glucose comparison threads. It is like comparing apples with bananas. It is impossible and for some can be very stressful. You are doing brilliantly and will continue to improve. Forget your fasting level for now and concentrate on other times of day. You have noticed your levels are better later in the day and this is because our insulin resistance improves as the day progresses. Your pre-evening meal level should be the lowest of all, and this is a much better marker as to how well you are doing than the FBG, which is unpredictable at best.

Reactions: Charis1213

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are normal then cos those numbers are not high .
I’m sure you don’t mean to be dismissive but they aren’t yet normal (though getting there) and I have had to make the same enormous or greater changes in my lifestyle to achieve much smaller changes in blood numbers. Others make similar adaptations or perhaps less and get huge differences. It’s frustrating. I’m learning not to compare but it’s hard.

Reactions: Lily1042

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting readings are often quite high now but I thought I would post them for the last few weeks. I had given up posting them as it seemed I was a failure yet my HbA1c were non diabetic for the last 3 years, Quite often my fasting readings are the highest of the day so I don't feel I need to be that worried,

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Charis1213

I think your doing great, mate.

As for the FBG...no expert, but mine were, low 7's and high 6's those early weeks and months
(first doc visit aug..diagnosed oct..began testing nov/dec)
but from what i've read... it was INSIDE the healthy cordon i had set myself.

Sure i enjoy the lower scores, when i SEE other have them OR when i get a lower one..
BUT if i'm inside the 4-7 'corridor' ...then i'm happy.

( I might add for the FBg threads i WINNER everyone who score 7 or below, except when a topic inside post,
suggest 'informative' 'friendly' etc is a tad more appropriate, imho.

I didn't start testing at first mention of diabetes, i was 6 weeks in before i found my lifeline, on here.
then another week or two, before i got a meter.
Now i test every day and it was every meal, but now it's usually when i have a different food, so i need to know how THAT item impacts on me.

If your sporty i find this less like a game of football, (though it has great TEAM ethic :D)
But rather more like golf...

S** what others score..i'm trying to beat MY score
(aka improve with lower FBG then mine were yesterday/last week etc)

The body and it's responses seems so sneaky, which causes a lot of the early morning issues.imho.

It just doesn't understand that a new way of eating is BY CHOICE, and we are not marooned on a desert island with little chance of obtaining food,

so it re-acts to what it THINKS we (and IT ) needs to survive for the longest.
hence the DP /liver dumps

I guess it's training it AND ourselves to play the long game, as @Jim Lahey puts it in one of his excellent posts.

TL;DR.
Your doing GREAT..:)

Long may it continue.x

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @Charis1213

I think your doing great, mate.

As for the FBG...no expert, but mine were, low 7's and high 6's those early weeks and months
(first doc visit aug..diagnosed oct..began testing nov/dec)
but from what i've read... it was INSIDE the healthy cordon i had set myself.

Sure i enjoy the lower scores, when i SEE other have them OR when i get a lower one..
BUT if i'm inside the 4-7 'corridor' ...then i'm happy.

( I might add for the FBg threads i WINNER everyone who score 7 or below, except when a topic inside post,
suggest 'informative' 'friendly' etc is a tad more appropriate, imho.

I didn't start testing at first mention of diabetes, i was 6 weeks in before i found my lifeline, on here.
then another week or two, before i got a meter.
Now i test every day and it was every meal, but now it's usually when i have a different food, so i need to know how THAT item impacts on me.

If your sporty i find this less like a game of football, (though it has great TEAM ethic :D)
But rather more like golf...

S** what others score..i'm trying to beat MY score
(aka improve with lower FBG then mine were yesterday/last week etc)

The body and it's responses seems so sneaky, which causes a lot of the early morning issues.imho.

It just doesn't understand that a new way of eating is BY CHOICE, and we are not marooned on a desert island with little chance of obtaining food,

so it re-acts to what it THINKS we (and IT ) needs to survive for the longest.
hence the DP /liver dumps

I guess it's training it AND ourselves to play the long game, as @Jim Lahey puts it in one of his excellent posts.

TL;DR.
Your doing GREAT..:)

Long may it continue.x
Thank you so much :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just my personal experience: I found very early on at this forum that reading other people's numbers was very unsettling, so made the decision to stay away from any of the threads posting fasting BG. I think they work as motivation for some people, but for me they made me feel like a failure and that I was much better off only looking at my own numbers. We all handle things in different ways. Just because those threads are motivating for many people, it's perfectly OK to stay away if they take you off your own track.

Ponchu

Diabetes Code indicates increase in results seem to be after 6 months —

The first 6 months bring the levels down but during the next 6 months, the body’s acclimation brings more benefit.

In spite of ups and downs, I’m seeing the pattern of progress as I move towards month 8.

Highs are not as high.

Reactions: Charis1213
M

Member496333

Diabetes Code indicates increase in results seem to be after 6 months —

The first 6 months bring the levels down but during the next 6 months, the body’s acclimation brings more benefit.

In spite of ups and downs, I’m seeing the pattern of progress as I move towards month 8.

Highs are not as high.

Yup. Regardless of meal-to-meal management, put less in and burn more off results in better fasting numbers over time. The “long game” :cool:

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Everybody is different. I don't always test in the mornings since I've been stable for quite a while now and tend to have only a limited choice for breakfast. Generally I'm in the mid 5's and only see a 4's very occasionally. Sometimes up to 6 depending on what I had the night before.

This doesn't always work for everybody but I've found that if I have a small snack just before bed, usually salami and cheese it helped a lot with morning consistency. I'm going to get one right now before I turn into a pumpkin.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 @Flora123 me too me too! In fact although the rest of the day is fairly consistent 5’s or 6’s, even after food, mornings seem to be creeping up ever so slightly not going down.

Dawn phenomenon would appear to be my issue and fasting just keeps it rising. So I’m trying to eat a fat based low carb early breakfast then typically fasting til dinner. Not as good as a single 16hr fast but two reasonably long fasts nonetheless. It’s not making the fasting figures any better but it comes back down quicker this way than extending the fast. Not sure what else to do other than keep with it and hope time improves it more.

You sound just like me @HSSS. I get up normally now around 114(6.3) to 126(7.), which has slowly risen in the past year, and continue to go up if I don't find the right thing to eat or not eat. I have tried lots of things but each one only seems to last a few days and I have to find a new tack. I do get some lower figures later in the day but it seems to be harder to get them now. I have tried all things including a few more carbs for breakfast, no carbs for breakfast, nothing to eat for breakfast but I also find if I go too long without the numbers also go up! Like you I keep hoping.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

You’re fab Jim.:)