Help! Newly diagnosed and hungry!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Starfish18

For a quick breakfast, how about

1 - a slice of (real) ham with some cheese on it, rolled up. Could be prepared the night before, so grab and run ...
2 - BabyBell cheese. Easy to grab and run
3 - A couple of hard boiled eggs (prepared beforehand). Again, if peeled the night before, grab and run ...

I'm sure there are loads more low carb ideas but they are just a few, very easy to do.

I buy fresh ham from the supermarket deli (especially when on offer), once home - put plastic bag between slices and freeze. Take required number of slices out of freezer (easily separated due to plastic bags) the night before and leave in fridge to thaw. Very easy, quick and can be prepared in advance too ;)

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am fairly new to this too. I started LCHF on the 3rd of January and before my diagnosis my whole day was spent eating carbs, chocolate etc. I was always hungry. I'd lay in bed at night planning what to have when i woke.
Now I can hand on heart say I have lost my cravings, I'm no longer hungry, I feel so much better more energy and so on.
I went all in and cut all bread, rice, pasta, cakes, chocolate on day one and generally stick to 30g a day now. It took a week to kick in and most days now I fast for at least 16 hours without even trying.
Just trying to give you a perspective from a newcomer...this forum is amazing and they all are so helpful and encouraging.
Good luck
You certainly are an inspiration, well done you!

Reactions: zauberflote

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Starfish18 ,

Do you have a meter? Because you can't really tell if the amount of carbs you're ingesting is low enough to impact your diabetes as much as you want it to, if you don't. If you test before a meal, and 2 hours after first bite, you shouldn't see a rise of more than 2.0 mmol/l. Anything higher than that means the meal was carbier than you could process. As for hunger, the pangs will go, especially if you, as others mentioned, up the fats. Snack on cheese (BabyBel, Laughing Cow?), boiled egg, bag of pork scratchings (I prefer mine with mayo), bifi sausages, extra dark chocolate, nuts, that sort of thing... (The poppadoms and popcorn aren't doing you any favours, carb-wise). Thing is, if you eat carbs, you'll crave carbs. As in, you'll be hungry again a few hours after. Try compensating with fats and maybe hot tea or something, anything that'll make your stomach fill up.

Not a fan of bread either, but then, I have the luxury of being around my kitchen 80% of the time. Can see how being on the move could make things difficult. Ever thought of wrapping ham and cheese together with some butter in between? Cold omelet used as a wrap with cold cuts, salad, whatever? In any case... I hope you'll find some excellent ideas over on dietdoctor.com too, and feel better soon! Being hungry all the time's no fun. ;)
My meter is on order. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I do plan to eat to my meter then. I have made myself some hard boiled eggs and cheese to take to work with me tomorrow and some nuts. I might not need them but if I do... I've not felt as hungry today. I really want to ditch the bread though I like the idea of cheese wrapped in ham and cold omelette used as a wrap. Thank you. I'll go and search diet doctor for ideas too Thank you

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey that is some number.

Get that meter and check everything. You can bring it down. Just needs some commitment.

And.. .. Probably ignore 90% of your doctors diet advice as it will most likely be the standard shpeil that is wrong.
I am ignoring the nurse that diagnosed me she just told me to cut out sugar. No mention of carbs whatsoever

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gee. Ok. That is quite a high number. Without wishing to cause undue alarm, that equates approximately to an average blood glucose concentration somewhere in the region of ~15mmol/L. Ideally you’d want to be at around half of that in order to be considered to have your diabetes under control. It would seem that your level of insulin resistance is quite significant.

But - and here’s the awesome part - you have landed in the right place to learn how to get it down. I won’t recommend any course of action, but were I in your shoes, and knowing what I now know about the disease and its progression, I’d be considering quite an intensive reduction in consumption of all carbohydrate, and perhaps, initially, even moderating protein intake. In this instance you’d have to use dietary fat as your primary fuel source.

Lots of reading to do here on the forums, so relax and kickback. You will find varying opinions here of course, but on the whole you’ll see that everyone is incredibly helpful and eager to answer any questions. Good luck! A new and improved way of life lies ahead :playful:
Wow! Thank you for the informative advice. I do have a meter on order and did wonder what my levels would be, knowing they would be high. It is scary not knowing what the food I'm eating is doing to my body. I am constantly on here now. I do have an awful lot to learn
Thank you

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 do you have a M&S food hall or Simply Food (at many BP garages) anywhere near you? They have a good range of low carb deli things to grab and eat on the run, eg. serrano ham and Manchego rolitos, protein pot with hardboiled egg and spinach, cold meats (their corned beef is moist and fab), small salad pots and lots more. All the best.
No I don't. I even googled simply food and there's nothing around me, just typical. I will keep an eye open for it though when I'm out and about so thank you

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter is on order. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I do plan to eat to my meter then. I have made myself some hard boiled eggs and cheese to take to work with me tomorrow and some nuts. I might not need them but if I do... I've not felt as hungry today. I really want to ditch the bread though I like the idea of cheese wrapped in ham and cold omelette used as a wrap. Thank you. I'll go and search diet doctor for ideas too Thank you
I also use lettuce leaves as a wrap instead of bread.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a tin of the lunch type flavoured tuna in my car as an emergency. Don’t much like tuna but it’s an option. Often buy a pot of egg mayo if I’m caught out and about. I keep a teaspoon in my bag for such events now. Anything you’d normally eat google with keto or low carb in the search term. You’ll find loads of recipes that way and sites to explore for more ideas. Many things can be tweaked to make a reasonable alternative. Leftovers are king. I have some really weird breakfasts now. Which food we eat at what time of day is only social convention.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So 95 is a High start point. But remember this - the average life of a blood cell is about 12 weeks. The key therefore is to look after the new ones. The old ones will die off. You can get from 95 to healthy in 3-4 months. Not easy (as you are finding already) but achievable.
On the subject of fat, you clearly like eggs so why not hard boil a few each week and have them on standby as fillers. Works for me. Greek yogurt (full fat) is great, and yes cheese. Doesn't get boring and loads of varieties to choose from.
Nuts are also good in moderation, and if you like walnuts then they are good for Omega 3.
I would defo get a meter if you can afford to test regularly.
Here is a blog I wrote about my first 50 days - you may find it helpful:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/type-2-my-first-50-days.2190/
Ive just made some boiled eggs actually lol Thank you for your reply I've just read your first 50 days. Gives me hope that I will get my head around all this. Are you still on Metformin?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18

For a quick breakfast, how about

1 - a slice of (real) ham with some cheese on it, rolled up. Could be prepared the night before, so grab and run ...
2 - BabyBell cheese. Easy to grab and run
3 - A couple of hard boiled eggs (prepared beforehand). Again, if peeled the night before, grab and run ...

I'm sure there are loads more low carb ideas but they are just a few, very easy to do.

I buy fresh ham from the supermarket deli (especially when on offer), once home - put plastic bag between slices and freeze. Take required number of slices out of freezer (easily separated due to plastic bags) the night before and leave in fridge to thaw. Very easy, quick and can be prepared in advance too ;)
Some good ideas. Thank you

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Ive just made some boiled eggs actually lol Thank you for your reply I've just read your first 50 days. Gives me hope that I will get my head around all this. Are you still on Metformin?
I’m off all Meds now. Cheers

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Starfish18 welcome! You are in the right place.
I have a travel meal which I usually use for lunch on the run/road. A La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla spread with almond or peanut butter. Then usually celery as it packs well.
You can make chia pudding in a big batch, and scoop a meal’s worth into a Tupperware type container. If you get the consistency just right, it will stick to your spoon yet not be dry. Safe for car eating!
Lots of recipes for low carb bread items, a bun and handful of almonds.
You will very soon get the hang of this- may your numbers plummet! chris

Reactions: Starfish18

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leftovers are king.

I have some really weird breakfasts now. Which food we eat at what time of day is only social convention.

Agree entirely..
my remit most nights is do a diner that suits me, divide by two and take rest to work, most day.

breakfast is either greek yoghurt & berries
OR
late starts days off, poached eggs, bacon rashers certain sausages (90% +meat )
but i have eaten...biltong, LC bubble and speak (swede and veg)..taken to work as a 'cake' almost
this morning i had cheese and CELERY
and the other day..i tried celery with peanut butter...OMG revelation...not a fan of peanut butter, but the celery ups my fibre and it's 'ok' so the PB was to improve it's flavour....Winner.

If it's on the road..i eat chicken cottage grilled chicken half for £5/6..salad NO chips or fizzy drink.
half it and have a 1/4 today rest goes to tomorrows meal or a later snack
Subways salads..( meatball marinara, all the salad, extra scoop of meat..about £5..)..failed to save ANY of that..LoL

Also sometimes have shish kebab, prefer to the donor meat...ask for it boxed, leave the pitta, and enjoy with the salad.

I thinks it's a 'Visual' thing..it doesn't seem or look right, burgers/kebabs NO bread, but it does only make up a tiny part of the meal.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 welcome! You are in the right place.
I have a travel meal which I usually use for lunch on the run/road. A La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla spread with almond or peanut butter. Then usually celery as it packs well.
You can make chia pudding in a big batch, and scoop a meal’s worth into a Tupperware type container. If you get the consistency just right, it will stick to your spoon yet not be dry. Safe for car eating!
Lots of recipes for low carb bread items, a bun and handful of almonds.
You will very soon get the hang of this- may your numbers plummet! chris
Thank you for your ideas I'll get my head around it all eventually lol

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, have a look at my sig below it’s entirely possible to come off high numbers, all the best!

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also newly diagnosed as type 1, but I feel very lucky that I got my equipment straight away and the Diabetes team at my hospital explained everything quickly and well, also no mention of rushing things, just "work towards" goals, maybe starting at an average BS of 15 mmol's is not that high? Well after 5 weeks and using a copy of Carbs and Cals recommended book, I have trended down over the whole period, not sitting at 80%+ readings within the 4.1-10 band and now have to eat "extra" when working physically, blurry eyes has cleared although it does appear I may need reading glasses (well at 50 some things are starting to fail!) The one thing I really feel is not pushed here is that these things take time and to keep at it, use meter and record all the time (mine links by Bluetooth to IPhone for instant graph!) to give yourself confidence that things are going as expected, don't panic over an occasional bad result (especially if you have craving etc!) Thoughts from more experienced members??