cholesterol lowering drinks

xyriel987

I've read a health blog last week, the blog is all about lowering cholesterol that very effective and safe for the health. I know most of you aware about this before that Omega 3 Fish Oil can lower cholesterol. On the blog I've read, health researchers just emphasize and gives narrow explanation about how effectiveness the omega 3 on lowering cholesterol. Maybe that's one of the reason why a friend of mine take a MX Omega 3 Fish Oil supplement before. I think this is more effective than other drinks/oils. Just an opinion! :)

WalksWalker

No one seems to have mentioned the fact that these cholesterol reducing drinks 'work by partially blocking the uptake of cholesterol in the gut, so less gets absorbed into your blood stream (quoted from the Benecol website)' and there is no point having them at all unless you are eating something with cholesterol 'at the same time.' Drinking them when you are not eating something with cholesterol in, is just a complete waste of time and money, as they cannot perform their function without cholesterol being present in the gut. It is the main reason why the active ingredient is added to the type of products they are added to, such as margarines, yoghurts, milk, etc., which would normally contain animal fat and, therefore, cholesterol.

If you are following a healthy diet, as they recommend on the packaging, you wouldn't need it.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
bonerp said:
btw I used tescos own brand which is a fair bit cheaper than benecol. However now that I have moved and rip off Sainsburys is my local swindlermarket, I am now using benecol as Sainsburys don't do their own.

Sainsbury's introduced their own cholesterol lowering drink about 6 months ago. Sweetened of course. Sadly, the mindset with all these supermarkets is if it isnt sweetened with sugar it wont sell, even when it is a 'health' product. (Same a sweetened cough mixtures I suppose) That may be true but I think no one should be consuming this product unless they are concerned with their health and trying to get their LDL cholesterol down. If they cant stomach it without having added sugar by the manufacturer perhaps they dont deserve it and they would be better off taking drugs. These drinks have improved my cholesterol. I sometimes mix one with a glass of milk to reduce the sweetness, just before I take a walk and it doesnt have any marked effect on BS.