Early Morning Spikes (T1)

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi. I have been eating keto for the last 12mths and my bm levels have been in the 4-5.5 range. Since starting with the Libre sensor thingy I have noticed my bm level rises from about 3am to around 7-9! I have no idea why this is happening. I have not had a hypo. I usually do a 16/8 intermittent fasting but have done that for months. I am now having to have 1 or 2 units to get my bm down to where I like it plus I have increased my basal insulin by 4 units but this is still happening. Any advice please?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre sensor thingy

LOL Can't call it a CGM as it's not, FGM has an other meaning entirely so 'thingy' is about right! :D

Hi Jill sounds like an early Dawn Phenomenon (DP), fortunately I don't suffer from it so haven't had to deal with it however there's plenty who have, and is a well known driver for moving to a pump - assuming you're not already using one in which case you need to tweak your basal rates - others live with it and jab a correction to keep their BG as stable as possible although it does mean setting the alarm clock early to do so. Changing basals might help.

DP is the bodies natural way of getting you ready for the start of the day by the liver releasing glucose to give you energy to go out hunting for breakfast.

I'll also add 7-9 isn't so bad, but it does ruin your mainly 4-5.5 figures!

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
LOL Can't call it a CGM as it's not, FGM has an other meaning entirely so 'thingy' is about right! :D

Hi Jill sounds like an early Dawn Phenomenon (DP), fortunately I don't suffer from it so haven't had to deal with it however there's plenty who have, and is a well known driver for moving to a pump - assuming you're not already using one in which case you need to tweak your basal rates - others live with it and jab a correction to keep their BG as stable as possible although it does mean setting the alarm clock early to do so. Changing basals might help.

DP is the bodies natural way of getting you ready for the start of the day by the liver releasing glucose to give you energy to go out hunting for breakfast.

I'll also add 7-9 isn't so bad, but it does ruin your mainly 4-5.5 figures!
Thanks Slip. I'll do some research on DP. And yes you're right I'm not on a pump.

Reactions: slip

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, found that out the hard way during a conversation. Very happy I still have all my 'thingies':p