possible hypo

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't seem to be uncommon. One explanation is that depending how long your blood sugar has been elevated, your body has become acclimatised to having more sugar in the blood. Suddenly dropping that can cause your body to complain and you feel hypo symptoms. These are often called "Fake Hypos". However fake they may be - they still can effect your ability to function as well. In time your body will likely adapt.

I was getting these anytime I dropped below 5, and once I thought my sugar was low, tested and found it to be 6! Now I am not feeling as bad when I drop below 5 which is happening more often now. I have only dropped below 4 once and that didn't feel great either!

Reactions: stephenharold
D

Deleted Account

That depends what you are used to.
A hypo is considered to be below 4.0mmol/l.
However, our bodies are very good at adjusting to what it thinks is normal.
For example, when first diagnosed, we may be used to a BG of 10 mmol/l and will feel "weird" at, say 8 mmol/l. This will be considered to be a "false hypo".

The other thing which may give us hypo symptoms above 4.0 mmol/l is if our BG is falling quickly.
It is as if our body is preparing for a hypo.

Finally, given the accuracy of our meters, when our meter records 4.0, the trie value may be below 4.0.

Remember, people without diabetes may have BG below 4.0.

If you are treating your diabetes with insulin, you may want to treat a BG around this level.
If you are treating your diabetes with diet, I would not worry.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should I be getting hypo signs at reading 4.1
I would agree with others, the body wants what it wants , sometimes..and often pre-emps our best efforts.

I asked same question on here, also asked at my Desmond's course... ONLY ONE to mention it.

Originally thought I had other illnesses lurking.

Think now, I was the only not only taking this seriously, but the only who seemed to have cut down dramatically now I think about the days conversations...

so while I thought it odd and no one else got hit.

I have since realised a few others on here have posted similar, so more common then I thought.

And the reasons given, make good sense.

Still makes ya feel rubbish, though, don't it

Take care.

Reactions: stephenharold

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It doesn't seem to be uncommon. One explanation is that depending how long your blood sugar has been elevated, your body has become acclimatised to having more sugar in the blood. Suddenly dropping that can cause your body to complain and you feel hypo symptoms. These are often called "Fake Hypos". However fake they may be - they still can effect your ability to function as well. In time your body will likely adapt.

I was getting these anytime I dropped below 5, and once I thought my sugar was low, tested and found it to be 6! Now I am not feeling as bad when I drop below 5 which is happening more often now. I have only dropped below 4 once and that didn't feel great either!

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would agree with others, the body wants what it wants , sometimes..and often pre-emps our best efforts.

I asked same question on here, also asked at my Desmond's course... ONLY ONE to mention it.

Originally thought I had other illnesses lurking.

Think now, I was the only not only taking this seriously, but the only who seemed to have cut down dramatically now I think about the days conversations...

so while I thought it odd and no one else got hit.

I have since realised a few others on here have posted similar, so more common then I thought.

And the reasons given, make good sense.

Still makes ya feel rubbish, though, don't it

Take care.

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
When I was first diagnosed in 1995 with a sugar level of 22 and was put onto tablets I often thought my levels felt low with confusion, sweating, shaking, heart palpitations etc. yet when I checked it was NINE! My body was so used to high sugar levels that even a small drop would make me want to have glucose but it had to be ignored, however horrible it felt as there was no way I was hypo. Eventually I just had the symptoms at normal hypo levels. However, having said that, I also went through a phase of losing my hypo symptoms and would often check my blood and find that it had dropped to 2.5 or even lower and yet have absolutely no symptoms at all. The very lowest I went was while I was on holiday abroad when I got up in the night and managed to stagger to get my meter and found I had gone down to 1.5 but thankfully I had glucose and my levels went back up but that was very frightening, especially being in a foreign country. I was told by the diabetes nurse to let my levels run high for a while to get back the hypo symptoms and they did come back. Incidentally, my friend who has diabetes as well as myself would often feel hypo and yet our levels were high not low so we learnt to check rather than assuming we were hypo.