Trying low carb - struggling!

NixiHB

Hi.

I've been finding these forums very useful since my initial diagnosis of diabetes in the past week, so thanks everyone. As yet I'm still unsure of whether T1 or T2 - I will find out on Monday. However since researching food and what I was eating my diet was awful - pretty much all carbs and sugar.
I have completely cut out added sugar now for two weeks and as much as I am missing chocolate I feel quite confident on this side of things. However, trying to cut down on carbs I am really struggling with. I weigh just over 9 stone with a BMI of 20 - and at the moment I am only able to consume around 1000 calories a day whilst trying to lower carb intake - and to maintain my weight I need to be eating double this.
I really don't want to loose any weight as it wouldn't be healthy for me - I'm close to being underweight already. I'm worried that I can't eat enough food - but my blood sugar is still ranging around 17 and thats with cutting out sugar and cutting down on carbs. It's a lose lose situation right now and I'm wondering whether any one else has been through this.

TIA
x

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Eat more fats and proteins. Nuts, eggs, meat and cheese etc. Enjoy the bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Reactions: lessci

NixiHB

Eat more fats and proteins. Nuts, eggs, meat and cheese etc. Enjoy the bacon and eggs for breakfast.
I've been eating lots of eggs and as much meat as I can afford. I used to eat a mostly vegetarian diet focused around pasta as I can't afford to eat meat all of the time... I didn't realise cheese was good - I love cheese! Does the fat in cheese not matter? I'm allergic to nuts so can't go for them unfortunately.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat in cheese is what you want. You need fats to replace the carbs.

I know it goes against all we've been told for the last 40yrs. You might worry about cholesterol but don’t. There are loads of threads on here and information out in the wide web that shows the low fat message is as wrong as the high carb message. More and more research shows it’s protective not damaging.

Reactions: NixiHB

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fats are great for stopping hunger, and if you are going very low carb you will need them for energy. I find cheese a great snack. If you drink tea or coffee you could add butter or double cream to them to up your calories and to stop you feeling hungry.

Reactions: NixiHB and Chook

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really high cocoa chocolate is actually quite low in carbohydrate. I buy the 85% cocoa chocolate from Aldi - if you don't mind the slightly bitter taste it really hits the chocolate craving without too much guilt.

For putting weight on as mentioned full fat yogurt, cream, eggs, cheese, olive oil, butter, mayonaise all are relatively low carb. If you are type 1 you won't put weight on until you start taking insulin. The weight was falling off me when I was first diagnosed.

I use Tom Kerridges Dopamine Diet Cookbook a lot. It has a lot of recipes for using mince which help to make meat more affordable.

M

Member496333

Coincidentally I just mentioned this to someone else in another discussion. Eat more fat. Fat and protein are the essential building blocks of life. You need them to survive, let alone thrive, and they will make you feel happy and full :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been eating lots of eggs and as much meat as I can afford. I used to eat a mostly vegetarian diet focused around pasta as I can't afford to eat meat all of the time... I didn't realise cheese was good - I love cheese! Does the fat in cheese not matter? I'm allergic to nuts so can't go for them unfortunately.
Higher fat mince (20% fat content) is £3 a kilo in Tesco and even M&S! Make your own burgers, meatloaf and all sorts of yummy things quite cheaply? The fat will keep you feeling full for longer.

M

Member496333

The fat in cheese is what you want. You need fats to replace the carbs.

I know it goes against all we've been told for the last 40yrs. You might worry about cholesterol but don’t. There are loads of threads on here and information out in the wide web that shows the low fat message is as wrong as the high carb message. More and more research shows it’s protective not damaging.

Yep. Not to derail so I’ll keep this short and sweet, but I sometimes wonder if Ancel Keys (ignoring his band of merry men) died in the knowledge that he’d killed half the planet and made the other half sick and miserable, deprived of an essential nutrient that we cannot survive without - or - if he was such a narcissist that he still believed his diet heart hypothesis in his last breath :shifty:

Interestingly it’s been reported in the past that he ignored his own advice and was often seen eating eggs and bacon. May explain why he lived to such an old age.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@NixiHB We only have three main sources of energy. Fat, protein and carbs. If you reduce the carbs you have to replace it with the other two for the body's energy requirements. With very low carbs you should find that you can tolerate the higher fats quite well. High fats and high carbs together are awful. If you are truly worried about cholesterol then go for the unsaturated fats. Chuck out all the low fat stuff like low fat milk, cream and yoghurt and go with full fat. It isn't very intuitive given what we've had drummed into us but for instance, my own trigs and LDLs only changed marginally. HDL is up a bit more but this is seen as a good thing.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@NixiHB excellnt advice above should you be found to be type 2. If it turns out you are type 1 then some carbs for calories are still possible with correct insulin dosage.
Let us know what your results show.

Reactions: KK123

NixiHB

@NixiHB excellnt advice above should you be found to be type 2. If it turns out you are type 1 then some carbs for calories are still possible with correct insulin dosage.
Let us know what your results show.
Fingers crossed for type 2 - insulin scares the heck out of me...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NixiHB - It must be very frustrating for you waiting for your results to determine your type of diabetes.

In the meantime, if you are looking for sources of energy dense foods on a tight budget, then thigs like bello pork, slowly roasted can be absolutely delicious, and cheap.

There are a few threads on the forum about doing low carb on a tight budget, as you're not alone on being on a tight budget. This thread is full of ideas:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-on-a-tight-budget.98749/#post-1116149

I hope that might help.

NixiHB

@NixiHB - It must be very frustrating for you waiting for your results to determine your type of diabetes.

In the meantime, if you are looking for sources of energy dense foods on a tight budget, then thigs like bello pork, slowly roasted can be absolutely delicious, and cheap.

There are a few threads on the forum about doing low carb on a tight budget, as you're not alone on being on a tight budget. This thread is full of ideas:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-on-a-tight-budget.98749/#post-1116149

I hope that might help.
Thanks so much, I will check it out!

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Hi.

I've been finding these forums very useful since my initial diagnosis of diabetes in the past week, so thanks everyone. As yet I'm still unsure of whether T1 or T2 - I will find out on Monday. However since researching food and what I was eating my diet was awful - pretty much all carbs and sugar.
I have completely cut out added sugar now for two weeks and as much as I am missing chocolate I feel quite confident on this side of things. However, trying to cut down on carbs I am really struggling with. I weigh just over 9 stone with a BMI of 20 - and at the moment I am only able to consume around 1000 calories a day whilst trying to lower carb intake - and to maintain my weight I need to be eating double this.
I really don't want to loose any weight as it wouldn't be healthy for me - I'm close to being underweight already. I'm worried that I can't eat enough food - but my blood sugar is still ranging around 17 and thats with cutting out sugar and cutting down on carbs. It's a lose lose situation right now and I'm wondering whether any one else has been through this.

TIA
x
Yes, I am pre-D & am on the slender side, BMI 20.4. You can't add carbs, so add good fat--avocado, walnuts, coconut oil (I keep in the refrigerator & cut off a chunk like candy), olive oil (salads) & grass fed butter (on low carb bread). Fat is calorie dense, & will satiate you too. When I find I am losing a few pounds, I stop my cardio workout at the gym & pop a fat bomb or 2.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @NixiHB

I’m also vegetarian and in a similar situation in that I have to eat approx 2200 cals a day to maintain my weight whilst I also try to restrict my carbs to 100g. Therefore I do rely on fat (and protein) as others have suggested.

Tips
*I always choose full fat (e.g. blue top) milk, cheese and yoghurt. I think Greek yoghurt is particularly good.
*I add olive oil to vegetables and salads e.g. if you boil/microwave peas, broccoli etc pour oil over them after they’re cooked (1 tablespoon is 120cals - Virgin olive oil is supposed to be the healthiest, but if you don’t like the taste or it’s too expensive then use light olive oil, or plain vegetable oil).
* If you have a salad, add a large dollop of mayonnaise- easily another 100cals.
* As you said, eggs are good, but I also go for tofu and Quorn/other “fake” meats as we need the protein.
* I do eat beans and lentils for protein even though they contain carbs.
* I make a chia seed chocolate pudding for breakfast most days, instead of cereal (it’s low in carbs/high in protein).
* I completely avoid the highest carb foods: sugar, pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. (I do eat LivLife low carb bread sometimes, but it’s relatively expensive.). I make pretend chips and potatoes from swede, pasta from spiralised courgette and rice from cauliflower (all with added oil).
* I avoid fruit, but eat berries most days (frozen are reasonably priced).
* I love chocolate - I eat 2 squares every day, but it’s 85% or 90% - lovely and another 120 cals. I didn’t start that dark; I had to build up to it gradually.
I occasionally drink hot chocolate, but it’s made with Green & Blacks Cocoa - 1 teaspoon in a mug of full fat milk is 15g carbs and 200cals. I “cheat” sometimes and use hot water with a little milk - then it’s 4g and 44cals but obviously not as tasty!
* Shame you can’t eat nuts as they’re a fabulous source of calories. How about olives? - half a pot is easily 200 cals.

Good luck with your diagnosis and don’t give up the (dark) chocolate, just no more Cadburys! It makes you happy, healthy & wise... http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zsn8frd

NixiHB

Hi @NixiHB

I’m also vegetarian and in a similar situation in that I have to eat approx 2200 cals a day to maintain my weight whilst I also try to restrict my carbs to 100g. Therefore I do rely on fat (and protein) as others have suggested.

Tips
*I always choose full fat (e.g. blue top) milk, cheese and yoghurt. I think Greek yoghurt is particularly good.
*I add olive oil to vegetables and salads e.g. if you boil/microwave peas, broccoli etc pour oil over them after they’re cooked (1 tablespoon is 120cals - Virgin olive oil is supposed to be the healthiest, but if you don’t like the taste or it’s too expensive then use light olive oil, or plain vegetable oil).
* If you have a salad, add a large dollop of mayonnaise- easily another 100cals.
* As you said, eggs are good, but I also go for tofu and Quorn/other “fake” meats as we need the protein.
* I make a chia seed chocolate pudding for breakfast most days, instead of cereal (it’s low in carbs/high in protein).
* I completely avoid the highest carb foods: sugar, pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. (I do eat LivLife low carb bread sometimes, but it’s relatively expensive.). I make pretend chips and potatoes from swede, pasta from spiralised courgette and rice from cauliflower (all with added oil).
* I love chocolate - I eat 2 squares every day, but it’s 85% or 90% - lovely and another 120 cals. I didn’t start that dark; I had to build up to it gradually.
I occasionally drink hot chocolate, but it’s made with Green & Blacks Cocoa - 1 teaspoon in a mug of full fat milk is 15g carbs and 200cals. I “cheat” sometimes and use hot water with a little milk - then it’s 4g and 44cals but obviously not as tasty!
* Shame you can’t eat nuts as they’re a fabulous source of calories. How about olives? - half a pot is easily 200 cals.

Good luck with your diagnosis and don’t give up the (dark) chocolate, just no more Cadburys! It makes you happy, healthy & wise... http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zsn8frd
Wow - thank you so much for all of this info! I will try out some of your tips. Thank you :)

Reactions: Ledzeptt
M

Member496333

Just to interject for a moment...personally I recommend not using “vegetable” oils for anything at all. They’re pro inflammatory and generally deleterious to human health.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @NixiHB

Tips

Good advice and proves you do not have to be a carnivore to have a healthy diabetic diet