HBa1c result came back - totally deflated

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
An infection will push up your numbers as will stress.
Yeah, I had pain clinic this afternoon and we talked about the effect of stress on blood sugar. Can’t do much about infections unfortunately.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is your Gp better? Could they help with the fructomiside test that’s been suggested? Or at the very least order another hb1ac as late as possible to the surgeons review giving you a bit more time to lose those old sugary blood cells from before the low carb eating.
I don’t know.

I’ll have to chat with my GP when I see her in three weeks time.

Reactions: HSSS

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
YouTube type videos? It’s an organisational type skill that does get easier with familiarity with the format. Maybe your partner can work through some with you until it becomes less confusing. My asd’s had similar issues with traditionally written recipes.
My partners going to walk me through a couple of very simple 5 minute recipes.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As many have already said, as the HbA1c measures a sort of 12 week average, a six week difference in test times will mean that you will have included 6 weeks worth of the previous HbA1c test, and who knows? A reduction to 7.4 is something to be pleased about, it's a move in the right direction. You've also lost 18 lbs, not to be sniffed at by any means so your hard work has definitely not been for nothing and has been rewarded, you just wanted a bigger reward.

I would just like to relate something that happened to me after 3 years of low carb. Those 3 years were brilliant, I'd thrown away the gliclazide, the januvia, even the atorvastatin (BTW, something your GP might consider in the short term to get to the 7.0 your surgeon is set on). However, my HbA1c tests started to come back over 50 mmol/ml (one was 59 mmol/ml). I struggled to work it out but realised that I was getting a lot of high readings in the morning, despite only having a low carb meal at 7pm the previous night.

In my case and it's not be for everyone, I cut back on the amount of meat I was eating and it did the trick, it's difficult to sustain for too long but for an important operation it's the difference between having the op and maybe not. I might seem a bit
Blasé but I've had to watch what I eat for decades and that's not an exaggeration. The discipline has done me some good.

You're doing all the right things, just needs continued perseverance and you will succeed. Negative thoughts become a self fulfilling prophesy, please try to stay positive.

As a reminder for myself as much as anybody:

Old unit = NGSP unit = %HbA1c
New unit = IFCC unit = mmol/mol
Old New
6.5 48
6.6 49
6.7 50
6.8 51
6.9 52
7.0 53
7.1 54
7.2 55
7.3 56
7.4 57
7.5 58

All the best
I ditched the Atorvastatin. At least I have for the moment.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Of major importance really is that Patrick is not happy with his diet. It’s making him miserable and deprived. This is no way to live, and will be unstainable. We have an incredibly complex relationship with our food, and it’s of paramount importance that we enjoy the fuel that we into our bodies. I understand the short term need to get the HbA1c down for the purposes of meeting the operating criteria, but serious problems await if one cannot sustain a way of life in the longer term.

My best guess still is that more dietary fat is needed in order to bring about a sense of satiety and wellness. Fatty acids are absolutely crucial to human life. We will die without them. Embrace the fat! Of course this may not be the issue at all, but it certainly sounds like a factor to me, and there isn’t much I don’t have experience of when it comes to the successes and pitfalls of adapting to low-carbohydrate eating.

Eat animals. Lots of them.
I’ve just eaten steak!

Chicken tomorrow. Then it’s Pork Saturday. Bacon every day. And I may squeeze in a sprout for a balanced diet..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree long term liking your diet is vitally important. However Patrick identifies he is bored with the food he’s able to prepare. Hunger or satiety isn’t the issue he identifies. Boredom is a major factor for me too so I understand this entirely. This is the biggest factor that causes me to wobble on low carb (or any woe) My husband can eat the same food daily for years and not have an issue. We are all different
Yeah we are and, being Autistic I start from a narrower range of foods to choose from due to sensory issues.
But we struggle on.

Reactions: Tophat1900

bgst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
7.8 on December 6th
7.4 on January 22nd - about 6 weeks..

I know I stand to be corrected, but I thought HbA1c covered about a 12 week period. If this is true then to go from 7.8 to 7.4 in 6 weeks means you are well on track to get towards 7.0

Keep the faith and keep up the good work!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Patrick you've done really well in six weeks to drop your HbA1c in six weeks it took me six months for a similar drop and a stone in weight. Amongst several other conditions I also have fibromyalgia and frequently can't manage the cooking or housework. I now also have Ménière's which is causing me extreme dizziness and nausea when ever I move and although I usually use crutches to get around on I'm now having to use a wheelchair as I kept falling when the dizziness hit. I do get bored with food and we can't usually use any frozen or chilled meals as I'm highly allergic to all forms of pepper so we rarely eat out unless it's somewhere we know can cope with cooking without any pepper, allspice, paprika,, chilli, curry powder, bell peppers etc which makes life a bit of a challenge. That's why the forums are so good for support and suggestions. Tonight I've found a chocolate truffle recipe I'm anxious to try. It seems whatever problem you have you get loads of support so hang on and keep posting!

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
They will have to be very light. I have fibromyalgia and even lifting my arms can be painful and problematic at times. But thank you for the suggestion.
I have Polymyalgia which is similar to your fibromyalgia only my pains are in the muscles of my body and not in the same place all time, steroids could treat it, but they are not good for people with diabetes as they will raise blood sugars, so for me it's grin and bare the pain.
Patrick, keep on going as you are, March is still a ways off so it could drop those .4 points in that time.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I’ve just eaten steak!

Chicken tomorrow. Then it’s Pork Saturday. Bacon every day.

I realise that you're are not keen on needles but a fuller picture of what your BG is doing during a 24 hr period may help you discover if there are any issues.

Reactions: Patrick66
M

Member496333

I agree long term liking your diet is vitally important. However Patrick identifies he is bored with the food he’s able to prepare. Hunger or satiety isn’t the issue he identifies. Boredom is a major factor for me too so I understand this entirely. This is the biggest factor that causes me to wobble on low carb (or any woe) My husband can eat the same food daily for years and not have an issue. We are all different

Indeed. That’s why I said satiety and wellness. A little more nuanced than hunger. Anyone can eat enough calories to stop them feeling hungry, but it might not necessarily make them well or happy. Anyway, of course we don’t want to labour the point, but I just thought it important to expand on that :)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know I stand to be corrected, but I thought HbA1c covered about a 12 week period. If this is true then to go from 7.8 to 7.4 in 6 weeks means you are well on track to get towards 7.0

Keep the faith and keep up the good work!
Thank you

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I realise that you're are not keen on needles but a fuller picture of what your BG is doing during a 24 hr period may help you discover if there are any issues.
I know. My reading is 3.9 this morning..I was brave and stabbed myself lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have Polymyalgia which is similar to your fibromyalgia only my pains are in the muscles of my body and not in the same place all time, steroids could treat it, but they are not good for people with diabetes as they will raise blood sugars, so for me it's grin and bare the pain.
Patrick, keep on going as you are, March is still a ways off so it could drop those .4 points in that time.
Indeed. Thank you

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick you've done really well in six weeks to drop your HbA1c in six weeks it took me six months for a similar drop and a stone in weight. Amongst several other conditions I also have fibromyalgia and frequently can't manage the cooking or housework. I now also have Ménière's which is causing me extreme dizziness and nausea when ever I move and although I usually use crutches to get around on I'm now having to use a wheelchair as I kept falling when the dizziness hit. I do get bored with food and we can't usually use any frozen or chilled meals as I'm highly allergic to all forms of pepper so we rarely eat out unless it's somewhere we know can cope with cooking without any pepper, allspice, paprika,, chilli, curry powder, bell peppers etc which makes life a bit of a challenge. That's why the forums are so good for support and suggestions. Tonight I've found a chocolate truffle recipe I'm anxious to try. It seems whatever problem you have you get loads of support so hang on and keep posting!
Thank you. Yes the good thing about this place is that nobody judges you and everyone wants the best for each other.
I’m so sorry about the dizziness, sounds awful and I admire you for coping.

kahorrell

Needing to drop below 7.0 for my operation..

Was 7.8

Have fasted, eaten very low carb, exercised, lost 18lb in weight..

Result...7.4!

Absolutely devastated. Gutted, fed up, disillusioned....seems like I’ve worked so hard for nothing!
No you haven't, it happened to me with my knee replacement. Lost lots of weight (helped my knee pain beyond all expectations). But NICE set up guidance as direct correlation between high Hba1c and increased infection and additional complications had been found in various Orthopaedic research projects. The risk is massively higher not just marginal. So you surgeon is really trying to look after you. Interestingly Keyhole and other intrusive procedures have much less risk and surgeons are happy to proceed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 I have said this to you previously but you really are doing well heading in the right direction. I understand your disappointment about your surgery being postponed but if you keep eating carefully it will come. I know you are having a bit of a slump about what you like to eat but it is really important for a happy and healthy future that you get around this. We are all cheering you on. Please take care.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I know. My reading is 3.9 this morning..I was brave and stabbed myself lol.
It's good to see that dawn phenomena does not seem to be one of your problems. You've done well to achieve what you have, mega impressed and jealous of your weight loss. Keep your eye on the goal, you'll do it.