Meaning of carbohydrate "of which sugars"

ofwhichsugars

I read a thread about the meaning of "of which sugars", but I still don't quite understand.

Let me just ask a simple question.

If a product has 32% carbohydrate, and 47% of which sugars.... what does this mean?

Are the sugars an extra category of carbohydrate, or are they just a subset of the overall carbohydrates?

If I had 32% carbohydrates and 47% of which sugars, would the total carbohydrates be 32% or would they be (32% + 47%) = 79%?

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If a product has 32% carbohydrate, and 47% of which sugars.... what does this mean?
Not possible, as the sugars are a carbohydrate and are included in the 'of which sugars'.
Tha other way around is possible, a product has 47% carbs, of which 32 percent are sugars. That means 32% of your product is sugar, the remaining 15% of carbs are starches or such.

If you look to decreasing your carbs, it's the total carbs you want to look at. It doesn't really matter much what they are made of.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The latter :
To make the maths simpler (grade C in 1988 maths o level!):
Product is 50% carbs of which 50% are sugars means that 25% of the product is sugar.
Or per 100g. 50g = carbs and of that 25g. are sugar.
Out of interest why does it matter to you?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Your numbers don't make sense for UK labelling.

You would expect, say, 17% carbohydrate of which 7% sugars.

So total carbohydrate of 17%, 7% quick hit sugar and the other 10% will be more slowly converted to sugar.

Reactions: IonutzPopa

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum!
I'll tag @daisy1 for you who'll post some very informative stuff about diabetes :)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I have wondered this too.

I figured it showed the total carb then the amount that is actually sugar.

ofwhichsugars

Actually, it does make sense in the context of UK labeling.

For example, look at the McDonald's website for their medium coke...

Carbohydrate (g) 16% RI
of which sugars (g) 47% RI

What does this mean? That there is 16% total carbohydrates or 16% + 47% = 63% total carbohydrates?

Reactions: Ponchu

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The latter :
To make the maths simpler (grade C in 1988 maths o level!):
Product is 50% carbs of which 50% are sugars means that 25% of the product is sugar.
Or per 100g. 50g = carbs and of that 25g. are sugar.
Out of interest why does it matter to you?

I cannot understand your thinking on this. If the total net carbs are 50% and of which sugars are 50%, then all those carbs are sugars. Surely?

@ofwhichsugars You can ignore the of which sugars. It is the total carbs that matter (unless you are in America). Sugars are included in the carb amount, hence the words "of which".

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Carbohydrate (g) 16% RI

What does this mean? That there is 16% total carbohydrates or 16% + 47% = 63% total carbohydrates?
If I was reading that I would read it as the product comprise 16% carbs and 47% of those carbs are sugars I.e. just under half of the 16% or ~ 7.5% sugars.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read a thread about the meaning of "of which sugars", but I still don't quite understand.

Let me just ask a simple question.

Are the sugars an extra category of carbohydrate, or are they just a subset of the overall carbohydrates?

If I had 32% carbohydrates and 47% of which sugars, would the total carbohydrates be 32% or would they be (32% + 47%) = 79%?
CORRECTION: The Nutrition information is per 100g of which carbohydrate is 32% (32g). Out of the 32g carbohydrate, sugar is 47% (15.04g).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Carbohydrate (g) 16% RI

You are all reading it wrongly. https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/product/coca-cola-medium.html
You have looked at the percentage of the recommended daily intake, not the amount of carbs and sugar in the coke.

A portion of the coke has 42g of carbs of which 42g is sugar. So it is all sugar. It does not show what percentage per 100g it is. It merely quotes the amount per portion.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CORRECTION: The Nutrition information is per 100g of which carbohydrate is 32% (32g). Out of the 32g carbohydrate, sugar is 47% (15.04g).
That’s how I read it. That would be 15% of 100g

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding, and what I've been basing my diet and buying on, is that the data on the BACK of packages is what counts. And it is the CARBS that is the key, as carbs are sugars when digested and the 'of which sugars' is included in the total carb content but that pure sugar content of the carbs is also quoted separately.
Ignore the sugars and concentrate on the carbs.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Ignore the of which are sugars, divide the total amounts of carbs by 4 to get the "real" sugar content. Some would say minus fibre i.e. net carbs in places like the States.

This for me is slight of hand as the of which are sugars can show as green on the packaging, but inside your body, the total carbs turning to sugar, could be causing havoc with your insulin requirements.

D

Deleted member 308541

Reactions: Listlad

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @Bluetit1802 was trying to explain you were looking at the wrong thing really, ignore the RI bit, look at the per portion/grams/volume.
So for the McDonalds Coke (medium sized on the UK site) it shows
Carbohydrate (g) per portion=42 %RI=16%
of which sugars (g) per portion=42 %RI=47%
So for the medium its 42carbs in total, and of those carbs, 42 are sugars - ie all of it.

But yeah for the purposes of diabetes, all you need to know is the total carbs.

Reactions: Listlad

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As @Bluetit1802 was trying to explain you were looking at the wrong thing really, ignore the RI bit, look at the per portion/grams/volume.
So for the McDonalds Coke (medium sized on the UK site) it shows
Carbohydrate (g) per portion-42 %RI=16%
of which sugars (g) per portion-42 %RI=47%
So for the medium its 42carbs in total, and of those carbs, 42 are sugars - ie all of it.

But yeah for the purposes of diabetes, all you need to know is the total carbs.

Thank you. :) I am glad you agree with me.