Foot ulcers

gbswales

I have stubborn ulcers on both ankles the first goes back to 2004 when I cut the back of my ankle on a bed frame. The other dates from my heart by pass when they removed a vein from my leg 4 years ago - they do not heal quickly and get occasional relapses through infections. They are dressed by my local surgery nurses supervised by the district wound nurse. They are continually improving using dressings and compression stockings (had compression bandaging for a long time until they improved enough for stockings. I am 72 now and just wish I thought the end was in sight. I have already missed the retirement holidays in the sun that I had imagined I would have been enjoying. It is making me feel very depressed. It would be nice to hear from people whose foot ulcers actually fully healed.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi bdswales
Unfortunately they can be frustratingly slow things to heal. Trust in the nurses and try to keep a positive attitude. Do the usual stuff like vit d, c, CoQ10 supplements. Have you had a vascular check? Both arterial or venous restrictions will slow the healing, as with swelling in the legs.
Good luck with it. Paul

Reactions: MauraH

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have stubborn ulcers on both ankles the first goes back to 2004 when I cut the back of my ankle on a bed frame. The other dates from my heart by pass when they removed a vein from my leg 4 years ago - they do not heal quickly and get occasional relapses through infections. They are dressed by my local surgery nurses supervised by the district wound nurse. They are continually improving using dressings and compression stockings (had compression bandaging for a long time until they improved enough for stockings. I am 72 now and just wish I thought the end was in sight. I have already missed the retirement holidays in the sun that I had imagined I would have been enjoying. It is making me feel very depressed. It would be nice to hear from people whose foot ulcers actually fully healed.
Hi there, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It's just awful. Foot ulcers are so debilitating. I posted this thread in 2015 and my ulcer did get better when I got treatment from the wound care clinic. Then I got a second one but it cleared up quickly, thank goodness. These days I am concentrating on my cholesterol as it is high despite a good A1C and good weight, etc. Diabetes is a distressing condition and we have to sacrifice a lot, as you say. I've found that you have to find meaning in life despite it and the conditions it imposes upon us. I wish you all the best!