What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all on a day of potential. Another 5.7 at this location.
I thought that it was raining just now but it was just the window cleaners with their fancy hose pipes and brushes.
Depending where you live it’s the last day of the long weekend or the first day of Bon Weekend!
Mrs Miggins is off to visit her mum, who is in hospital, this morning so may be out all day.
It’s Burns Night tonight so have aloe Vera cream at the ready and check your stocks of fine single malts.

If you are traveling to a Burns Supper, put this in your satnav:
Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great Chieftain o’ the Puddin-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang ‘s my arm.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I won't give up at all, just now need to maybe tweak a bit...or maybe I am being a little impatient. The first 2 weeks for weight loss were great but the bg levels were still high, now my bg levels are pretty good and weight loss has stopped. Mind you I'm terrible for jumping on the scales too often. I think some exercise on my air strider may help.
Great that you are not giving up and realise tweaking is probably needed. As your weight drops and diet changes the "essential" you alters - techy scales make that crystal clear - so its demands alter. I weigh most mornings and variations are fascinating - easily a kg. I only record weight/bmi every Wednesday having read somewhere that was best day. Weight is the one area/data point to totally agree with HCPs for me. Very individual and not linear, full of ups and downs so take the long view.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you hit a plateau?
Week 1 and 2 of weight loss is usually burning glycogen which is partly water so that shifts fairly quickly. As you lose weight, your metabolism slows as your body makes adjustments.
So. Give it big kick with a hammer - look at calorific intake - can you adjust it. Exercise - can you increase? This does not necessarily mean going to the gym, but increase daily activity, maybe walking faster. HIIT works really well and carrying stuff. Eat protein before exercises - it burns better.
Maybe sift through the detritus of a google search on “when your diet hits a plateau.” Be mindful of snake oil sales.
All the best, whatever you decide to do.
Thank you. I'm going to get more active for starters, and calories I'm not sure going lower is a good idea? I generally eat one meal a day of meat, veg, or a diet doctor recipe. Followed by sf jelly and cream. If I do have lunch it will just be scrambled egg on it's own.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.00 for me first thing this morning. It must be the large, greasy, fatty, unhealthy, doner kebab that I stuffed my face with last night! I haven't had a kebab in ages!! Having said that, it did not have any affect on my before and after meal BG numbers, Not even 1 point. I was at 5.2 before meal and 5.8 2 hours later. I woke up with the kebab taste still lingering in my mouth! You all have a good day!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Happy burns day all. I'm late again but it was 5.7 again earlier. For breakfast I tried adding double cream to my morning soya yogurt, partly as my bmi is touching the lower zones of what the NHS advise, plus I like cream. It kind of goes into a sludge which while it tastes ok does look suspicious......

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I won't give up at all, just now need to maybe tweak a bit...or maybe I am being a little impatient. The first 2 weeks for weight loss were great but the bg levels were still high, now my bg levels are pretty good and weight loss has stopped. Mind you I'm terrible for jumping on the scales too often. I think some exercise on my air strider may help.
I wouldn't be too upset Angi...your weight has just remained stable that's all...during the first couple of weeks the weight does tend to fall away...it can come to a halt...it's an interruption that's all...it will come off. again..I'd suggest just weighing yourself once a week...on a set day...your BG numbers are great...you've lost weight...that's positive...give yourself a break...it won't all happen at once

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy burns day all. I'm late again but it was 5.7 again earlier. For breakfast I tried adding double cream to my morning soya yogurt, partly as my bmi is touching the lower zones of what the NHS advise, plus I like cream. It kind of goes into a sludge which while it tastes ok does look suspicious......
Made me laugh a lot Orson...suspicious sludge!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be too upset Angi...your weight has just remained stable that's all...during the first couple of weeks the weight does tend to fall away...it can come to a halt...it's an interruption that's all...it will come off. again..I'd suggest just weighing yourself once a week...on a set day...your BG numbers are great...you've lost weight...that's positive...give yourself a break...it won't all happen at once
Thank you. Yes I haven't gained so I guess that's a good thing and my bg levels are pretty much in the 5's all the time now - even after eating. Aiming for the 4s now

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since talking to the ole bors of this area is way better than most weather forecasts and I dislike winter intensely have some of this. Next Saturday is Candlemas http://projectbritain.com/year/candlemas.html Spot on last year:arghh: Any of our members from non UK countries have special customs or food linked to Candlemas? We seem to have totally lost connection with our past here and invented a bogus UK that never existed along with strange food choices. They couldn't possibly be connected:banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm going to get more active for starters, and calories I'm not sure going lower is a good idea? I generally eat one meal a day of meat, veg, or a diet doctor recipe. Followed by sf jelly and cream. If I do have lunch it will just be scrambled egg on it's own.
I’m sure I read that protein boosts metabolic rate, so may be an option for you to increase your meat portion a bit too. And for me personally, some weeks I get complacent with water intake - especially now it’s cold and I just want hot drinks. But the weeks I remember to drink pints and pints of water I see better losses. You’re doing amazing though and you’re only a few weeks in and the BG numbers are of course why we start low carbing and they are looking fab so that’s the main thing :)

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sure I read that protein boosts metabolic rate, so may be an option for you to increase your meat portion a bit too. And for me personally, some weeks I get complacent with water intake - especially now it’s cold and I just want hot drinks. But the weeks I remember to drink pints and pints of water I see better losses. You’re doing amazing though and you’re only a few weeks in and the BG numbers are of course why we start low carbing and they are looking fab so that’s the main thing :)
Thanks Emma, until I started this I only ever drank diet coke and now I have tea and water. I only manage a litre of water at the moment but it's a big step in itself as I never drank it. I have a diet coke maybe once or twice a week now.
Up the fluids I think.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thanks Emma, until I started this I only ever drank diet coke and now I have tea and water. I only manage a litre of water at the moment but it's a big step in itself as I never drank it. I have a diet coke maybe once or twice a week now.
Up the fluids I think.
I've found that keeping fluids up is a challenge . Pre dx I'd drink a pint or two of beer a day now pub trips are few and far between. In the summer I've found fizzy water a more than Ok substitute. in the winter I've gone over to unsweetened Almond milk, which has a slight texture to it so it somehow feels more substantial than water.... Anyhow best thoughts and keep up the good work...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found that keeping fluids up is a challenge . Pre dx I'd drink a pint or two of beer a day now pub trips are few and far between. In the summer I've found fizzy water a more than Ok substitute. in the winter I've gone over to unsweetened Almond milk, which has a slight texture to it so it somehow feels more substantial than water.... Anyhow best thoughts and keep up the good work...
I drink a little tea now and again:angelic:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodnight, everyone.
@karen8967 may I recommend a cat?
I get under the covers, the KittenCat gets under the covers beside me.
I get too hot, and throw the covers off.
She snuggles up closer beside me.
I get cold, and pull the covers back up.
She stretches and starts to purr.
I get hot again and stick a foot out from under the covers.
I hear a creepy noise but she isn't bothered, so I go back to sleep.
I hear another noise. It is daylight. She is up and out of bed and eating her breakfast.
I smile and go back to sleep.
i had my cat for 20 years saskia was devasted when she passed il post a pic of her later couldnt put myself through it again i was so upset i got her cremated and she is in a little box on the spare room window sill where she liked to sit and watch the world go by xx

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

aw, don't worry @AngiH .
your doing great.

on the calories front i personally doubt i could tell you what mine is.
i just monitor the carbs..(loosely at that )
my diets is now the opposite of what it was, and that seems to work well for me.. i do find it's more filling
not tried to fast for long periods,, though have gone around 16 hours (overnight inc)

i also weigh myself daily. and it does seem to stall if you are looking for loses daily
my reasoning is (like the daily testing) it that it lets me react EARLY to any issues.
but later days does bring a nice surprising drop, not explained really by yesterday's food intake or exercise

Our bodies don't seem to be linear in reacting to what we have recently eaten V what LIES the scales put out.(;))

But on a week to week basis..it does follow, if a little late..(at least for me, and many others it looks like on here )

Maybe a kick start will fool your body..it is after all the guardian of YOU.
it's like the presidential bodyguard..it is DEDICATED to taking a bullet for you..

it just seems to try it's best NOT to get into those situations on a daily basis.
and surprisingly has many, many sneaky mechanisms to preserve your life in such circumstances,
normal or extreme.

But even the body, can't deny the laws of it's own physical feeding...( even if the truth does unsettle it :D )

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Yes I haven't gained so I guess that's a good thing and my bg levels are pretty much in the 5's all the time now - even after eating. Aiming for the 4s now
Just a little bit of info. You may be very different but I didnt come down into the 4s for ages and still often have a fasting blood in the low 5s 18 months in. An average bg of 5.2 equates to a Hbaca1 of 30 - great to have an aim but celebrate each point you come down and/or keep at that level! Fasting bgs are often the highest of the day for ages so do be kind to yourself in terms of quick results it will all happen at its own pace if you keep going but may take longer than youd like.
Im now maintenance - 18 months on - both for my weight and bgs and have a personal range set that I am happy with and heading too low or too high with those parameters helps me to keep going.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had my cat for 20 years saskia was devasted when she passed il post a pic of her later couldnt put myself through it again i was so upset i got her cremated and she is in a little box on the spare room window sill where she liked to sit and watch the world go by xx
So sorry for the loss, @karen8967

same here, mate.

Do keep meaning to go spread her ashes near mum & dads grave, but haven't have the will to do that yet
(was back in april we lost her)

i thought the cat was evil, and we nearly got rid, as she bit & scratched the girls constantly.
eventually she settled into what we jokingly called MUMMY'S cat..as the missus pampered it.

Yet weirdly about midlife (hers) she became my cat, cuddled up at every opportunity, got jealous if the missus got into bed next to me..howled when i was streets away from home, and then got all purry when i got in.

God i miss her everyday..sure the girls do as well, and i thought they'd struggle to get over her, but i've been the sad, weak link in that chain..:sorry::)

Hugs & Love x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Karen that is sad for you...our pets are such a big part of our lives. I dont know how long ago you lost yours but my overriding thought is she had a lovely life with you.