Feeling terrible in the mornings

Upchurch

Hi, I am new to this site. I have had diabetes type 2 for three and a half years. I take one tablet a day. To start with I took the diet to the extreme because of cholesterol as well as diabetes, I am now so thin but cannot put weight on even though I have eased up on the diet. In October my annual test came in at 42, so technically in remission. Since Christmas I have been feeling awful in the mornings, shakes, cold but clammy, dry eyes and month. I decided to check my blood glucose first thing in the mornings and suddenly it is up, twice this week 10.6 and 9.4 the highest. Throughout the day it goes right down again. I have also lost my appetite completely, have a horrible taste in my mouth and, my urine smells horrible in the mornings. I am 63 and other than the above, am fit and healthy! Any ideas please and thank you

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
What do you mean by extreme?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi, I am new to this site. I have had diabetes type 2 for three and a half years. I take one tablet a day. To start with I took the diet to the extreme because of cholesterol as well as diabetes, I am now so thin but cannot put weight on even though I have eased up on the diet. In October my annual test came in at 42, so technically in remission. Since Christmas I have been feeling awful in the mornings, shakes, cold but clammy, dry eyes and month. I decided to check my blood glucose first thing in the mornings and suddenly it is up, twice this week 10.6 and 9.4 the highest. Throughout the day it goes right down again. I have also lost my appetite completely, have a horrible taste in my mouth and, my urine smells horrible in the mornings. I am 63 and other than the above, am fit and healthy! Any ideas please and thank you
Have you tried eating something with carbs before you go to bed. Also it's worth checking your BS levels at regular intervals during the night. There are various issues that can cause high morning readings, so I would take your results to a diabetes expert.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Is your diet low-carb with enough fats and proteins? If not move towards that. Testing first thing in the day is not the best time to check due to the overnight liver dump. Check 2 hours after a normal meal. If the BS keeps going up suspect the possibility of being LADA (T1) and see the GP for the T1 tests. The symptoms you describe could be showing ketones which would occur if you have high BS and the body is burning body fat for energy. Do keep checking and see the GP if in doubt or even A&E if you feel seriously unwell.

Reactions: Upchurch

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Upchurch I strongly recommend you make an appointment with your GP asap to get checked out, it sounds like ketones which needs to be checked out sooner rather than later and if it worsens it is life threatening, sorry to scare monger but with symptoms like this you need reassurance. Please let us know how you get on ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get help. This doesn't sound right at all. Don't wait it out, pick up the phone now. Better safe than sorry.

Upchurch

Hadn’t finished! no added sugar, I counted every thing and went down to 7 stone 1, I was literally burning fat as with a low carb diet. I was told to ease up and now eat in moderation but, haven’t put much wait on. I just find eating so hard at the moment, not hungry and nothing tastes right

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others definitely see your doctor something is not right so tell them what you have told us. It is more than just diet related

Reactions: Upchurch

Upchurch

Have you tried eating something with carbs before you go to bed. Also it's worth checking your BS levels at regular intervals during the night. There are various issues that can cause high morning readings, so I would take your results to a diabetes expert.

Upchurch

Hi. Is your diet low-carb with enough fats and proteins? If not move towards that. Testing first thing in the day is not the best time to check due to the overnight liver dump. Check 2 hours after a normal meal. If the BS keeps going up suspect the possibility of being LADA (T1) and see the GP for the T1 tests. The symptoms you describe could be showing ketones which would occur if you have high BS and the body is burning body fat for energy. Do keep checking and see the GP if in doubt or even A&E if you feel seriously unwell.

Hi, my food intake is terrible at the moment, Weetabix and full milk, bananas, malt loaf, potatoes, veg and meat/fish, I just don’t fancy anything and cannot get the food down me, think I had better head to the doctor, though they just say “eat three weetabix instead of mars bars”, I don’t eat mars bars

Upchurch

Have just looked up LADA, no one has ever mentioned it to me, though a friend wondered if I was T1 as I was so thin, am making an appointment now and thank you. I have no energy at all but sleep for 8 to nine hours!

Upchurch

@Upchurch I strongly recommend you make an appointment with your GP asap to get checked out, it sounds like ketones which needs to be checked out sooner rather than later and if it worsens it is life threatening, sorry to scare monger but with symptoms like this you need reassurance. Please let us know how you get on ?

Has been in my thoughts and am going to the doctors, I have a bad stomach as well, acid all the time, quite a mess really

M

Member496333

If you are finding it very difficult to gain weight whilst simultaneously having very high blood sugars it seems indicative of a serious lack of insulin. You definitely need to seek medical advice as a matter of urgency. Your current diet also sounds like a disaster for any diabetic but there’s no need to get into that just now. High blood sugars and high ketones can be life threatening.

Being on the cautious side I’d suggest you should go straight to the hospital. Better to play it safe.

Reactions: Ponchu