Basal advice needed

Loony81x

Hi I need some advice on my basal injection as every night my level drop after 1-2 hours is that normal or am injecting to much . I am on Lantus insulin is there any insulin that might be better at managing this as it is affecting my sleep which then in turn effects my mental illness

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
When I was on a long lasting insulin if I dropped too much at night it was because I was on too high of a dose of the long lasting insulin. I am a type 1 so I also had fast acting insulin to take with meals. You didn't say how long you've been on insulin but I was told to only make small adjustments at a time and then give it a few days.

You might call your Doctors office, they do not want you to go too low, in fact usually get upset if you are dropping too low and should give you adjustments.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AMahmood ,

Welcome to the forum..

How long have you been diagnosed?
What time are you injecting your Lantus?
Do you have any other insulin on board, still active from meals. Like a fast acting?

There are other basal insulins on the market, however you would need to discuss the matter with your doctor.
Splitting the dosage may help? Pending on your fasting BGs during the rest of the day.
But again take the direction from your diabetic team.

Loony81x

Hi @AMahmood ,

Welcome to the forum..

How long have you been diagnosed?
What time are you injecting your Lantus?
Do you have any other insulin on board, still active from meals. Like a fast acting?

There are other basal insulins on the market, however you would need to discuss the matter with your doctor.
Splitting the dosage may help? Pending on your fasting BGs during the rest of the day.
But again take the direction from your diabetic team.

Thanks for the welcome, I have been diagnosed since 2011 initially there thought I was type 2 but then after few months I was told your type 1 and I started objecting then . I inject my lantus about 10pm so I probably have a little bit of insulin in system has I have dinner 6.30 to 7.00 pm but prior to me injecting my insulin my levels start rising about 9pm as I think my lantus from previous night runs out so when I’m injecting my levels are about 8-9 mmol.

As for doctors and diabetes nurse i get no help from , I probably seen the nurse 2 time on the past two years as the area I live in as a high rate of type 2 diabetes so hard to get any appointment

And my GP service is even worse since December I have had issues with my digestive system , so I asked for some test last week and he turned around and told me it’s not a restaurant that you can pick things of the menu , and to top it off I am an OCD patient so I asked to be put back on the tablets as the stress is starting to cause me OCD symptoms and he wouldn’t so looks like I need to change My GP service and hope I get a doctor that has empathy for his patient

D

Deleted Account

The profile for Lantus has a peak after a few hours.
This used to affect me as I took my Lantus just before I went to bed.
I overcame this by taking it with my evening meal so I was awake to track this Lantus peak/BG drop before I went to bed.

Loony81x

I overcame this by taking it with my evening meal so I was awake to track this Lantus peak/BG drop before I went to bed.

Hi thanks for the tip , might try that . Did you have to reduce your basal or Bolus doing this

D

Deleted Account

Hi thanks for the tip , might try that . Did you have to reduce your basal or Bolus doing this
No, I kept my dose the same ... although you probably want to keep an eye on your post dinner BG and correct if necessary.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AMahmood . What time are your BG readings dropping? @Jaylee makes a good point that often this can e down to having other fast acting insulin on board. I had this for a period (and still battle it occasionally) as I eat my evening dinner and inject novorapid at 8pm and then go to bed about 10.30. As Novorapid lasts for about 4-5 hrs then I can find at 12-1am I wake low despite going to bed about 8-9mmol. Its a tricky one to counter especially if there are other variants involved such as exercise and slow digesting meals. I find that i slightly lower my Novorapid in the evening then it usually works.

Loony81x

Hi @AMahmood . What time are your BG readings dropping? @Jaylee makes a good point that often this can e down to having other fast acting insulin on board. I had this for a period (and still battle it occasionally) as I eat my evening dinner and inject novorapid at 8pm and then go to bed about 10.30. As Novorapid lasts for about 4-5 hrs then I can find at 12-1am I wake low despite going to bed about 8-9mmol. Its a tricky one to counter especially if there are other variants involved such as exercise and slow digesting meals. I find that i slightly lower my Novorapid in the evening then it usually works.

My Bg reading are going down about 1.30-2 hours after my injection

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
By all means, find a new doctor that you get along with and will give you advice/help when you need it. My first general doctor and endo kept saying I was type 2 even when I asked if I could be type 1 as I had an uncle that had died from type1. I switched my general doctor who sent me to a new endo who tested me right away for type 1 and it turned out I had the antibodies and I was a type 1. And that led to the right treatment plan for me and doctors I loved. It makes all the difference!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to move to taking it in the morning to stop overnight hypos. I then started having hypos regularly about 3 hours after taking it in the morning - none of those issues on Tresiba

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As for doctors and diabetes nurse i get no help from , I probably seen the nurse 2 time on the past two years as the area I live in as a high rate of type 2 diabetes so hard to get any appointment

If you're T1 then you should be able to get an appointment at a hospital diabetes/endocrine clinic rather than relying on your surgery's T2 care? (I may be a little out of date on UK health care.:))

Loony81x

By all means, find a new doctor that you get along with and will give you advice/help when you need it. My first general doctor and endo kept saying I was type 2 even when I asked if I could be type 1 as I had an uncle that had died from type1. I switched my general doctor who sent me to a new endo who tested me right away for type 1 and it turned out I had the antibodies and I was a type 1. And that led to the right treatment plan for me and doctors I loved. It makes all the difference!

I have got an appointment with a new surgery tomorrow so hopefully I get a doctor that understands and we can get the right treatment sorted

Loony81x

If you're T1 then you should be able to get an appointment at a hospital diabetes/endocrine clinic rather than relying on your surgery's T2 care? (I may be a little out of date on UK health care.:))

My local hospital doesn’t have a diabetes clinic so I am struggling with getting the right treatment