Boiled Eggs

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just seen this on twitter and was amused, it's low carb as well:

An esteemed colleague told me he hard-boils eggs in the morning, uses them as pocket warmers, and then has them as a little mid-morning snack when he gets to work.

Truly, the line between genius and madness is very thin.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just sent that to my husband at work , don't think he will want to do that though, but its a good idea lol

Reactions: zauberflote
M

Member496333

Gooey-centred hard boiled eggs are amazing. I get through at least four a day on average. Sometimes eight. Not sure about using them as pocket warmers though :shifty:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always told by mum to cool boiled eggs rapidly after cooking to required hardness or they’d develop sulphur rings between yolk and white and a sulphurous odour - don’t know if this affects the taste or just the appearance? I’ve always rapidly cooled them and put in fridge if planning to eat them later!

M

Member496333

I was always told by mum to cool boiled eggs rapidly after cooking to required hardness or they’d develop sulphur rings between yolk and white and a sulphurous odour - don’t know if this affects the taste or just the appearance? I’ve always rapidly cooled them and put in fridge if planning to eat them later!

I put them in a pan of cold water. Bring the water to the boil and cook for a further three minutes, then pop them straight into a bowl of cold water. Leave for at least an hour before peeling. That gives me a perfect gooey centre, but others may prefer a harder yolk.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's over cooking that produces the sulphur ring and the smell - which can equal nasty gas for the eater :wacky:- softy boiled or almost boiled won't get a ring - also eggs carry on cooking from residual heat so a soft boiled egg uncooled should result in a perfect solid yolk if that's your preference :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want to say I LOVE eggs any which way. They are the last food Inwwnt to eat.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gooey-centred hard boiled eggs are amazing. I get through at least four a day on average. Sometimes eight. Not sure about using them as pocket warmers though :shifty:
How long do you cook them for, Jim? I eat a lot of boiled eggs, but I have yet to get the set white gooey centre that I am after.

Just realised you have put down your method in a post above the sone - thanks.

I feel like I am going to turn into an egg at the moment, they are my goto food for fat and protein.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long do you cook them for, Jim? I eat a lot of boiled eggs, but I have yet to get the set white gooey centre that I am after.

Just realised you have put down your method in a post above the sone - thanks.

I feel like I am going to turn into an egg at the moment, they are my goto food for fat and protein.

I can highly recommend this. Perfect eggs every time.
IMG_3375.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
In US, baked potatoes used to serve handwarmer duty for kids walking to school in some other century than this.

Reactions: Sue192

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
D

Deleted member 308541

We boil eggs for around ten minutes so that there is no runny yellow or white stuff left.

Then let them cool and put in the fridge unpeeled.

No need to use them as hand warmers here.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We boil eggs for around ten minutes so that there is no runny yellow or white stuff left.

Then let them cool and put in the fridge unpeeled.

No need to use them as hand warmers here.
Could probably fry them on your car at the moment. In fact I saw something this week about people cooking a steak just by sitting it in a pan on the centre console!

D

Deleted member 308541

Could probably fry them on your car at the moment. In fact I saw something this week about people cooking a steak just by sitting it in a pan on the centre console!
Our truck is air conditioned so it would not cook anything except keep a lettuce crisp. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It used to be advised not to eat to many eggs owing to the influence on cholesterol levels. I must say this has influenced my take on eating them. However I notice that scientific opinion has changed relatively recently.

I like eggs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

It used to be advised not to eat to many eggs owing to the influence on cholesterol levels. I must say this has influenced my take on eating them. However I notice that scientific opinion has changed relatively recently.

I like eggs.m
I go through four dozen eggs a fortnight, mainly three egg omelettes every day, plus boiled eggs in a salad.