Curry

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting away from the rice for a minute I have just tapped into a show this morning on ITV called Parveens Indian kitchen which I have now set to record series. The first dish this morning was making spiced lamb burgers and spiced coleslaw which was all low carb friendly. We love Indian food and I cook a stonking curry at least once a week. This new series may not be for purists but if I can pick up some easy spiced meals I’m in.

Rose88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I often make a curry with cauliflower, and mixture of spinach, green beans, courgettes, mushrooms and sometimes throw in paneer or tofu, you could substitute meat instead. I eat this with with full fat greek yogurt as a side dish.
I don’t do cauliflower rice as a separate dish but just add the florets or grated cauliflower into the curry and cook it all together.

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting away from the rice for a minute I have just tapped into a show this morning on ITV called Parveens Indian kitchen which I have now set to record series. The first dish this morning was making spiced lamb burgers and spiced coleslaw which was all low carb friendly. We love Indian food and I cook a stonking curry at least once a week. This new series may not be for purists but if I can pick up some easy spiced meals I’m in.
Have you seen Headbangers Kitchen?

https://headbangerskitchen.com

Some great keto meals with a lot of Indian cuisine..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you post or link the flatbread recipe? I’m desperate for a naan type alternative
The ones I make are from the Tom Kerridge Dopamine Diet book. The flatbreads are made from coconut flour and psyllium husk, being slightly coconut flavour they go nicely with curry. They are more like a chapatti than a naan.
Here is a similar recipe without copyright…..
https://divaliciousrecipes.com/coconut-flour-psyllium-flatbread/
The Tom Kerridge version uses half as much psyllium husk (15g) and he browns the butter first ( I don't bother) but it is otherwise identical. They are extremely easy to make apart from the rolling out.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The ones I make are from the Tom Kerridge Dopamine Diet book. The flatbreads are made from coconut flour and psyllium husk, being slightly coconut flavour they go nicely with curry. They are more like a chapatti than a naan.
Here is a similar recipe without copyright…..
https://divaliciousrecipes.com/coconut-flour-psyllium-flatbread/
The Tom Kerridge version uses half as much psyllium husk (15g) and he browns the butter first ( I don't bother) but it is otherwise identical. They are extremely easy to make apart from the rolling out.
These look great. I wish I had the time to cook something like this. I wonder if our local Asian store might have something like this?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These look great. I wish I had the time to cook something like this. I wonder if our local Asian store might have something like this?
It takes me less than 10 mins from start to eating.

Reactions: Prem51

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cauliflower rice is easy and a great carrier/filler.

I do mine, firstkly I blitz decent sized florets in thre food processor - I usually do it in batches or some becomes almost ground.
To cook, I use a hot wok and stir fry it, with whatever spices I fancy, including Pilau (rice) spices.

I also make a mean Pretendy Paella. I make a batch of cauli rice. Start by soaking a few saffron strands in an egg cup full of water for an undetermined "while". I then cook off the chicken, pork or whatever slightly longer cooking meats I have, with plenty garlic and paella spices. I then add the cauli rice and saffron and stir fry it to mix everything together, including the saffron water, then lastly chuck in any seafood I'm using - prawns, calimari or whatever.

It disappears fast in this house!

It also reheats well, although not usually required here!
mmmmmmmmmmm that sounds good, have chorizo and paella spices to hand too!

Reactions: Prem51

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mr zig has mastered the making of the rice and he can't cook at all. As others have said, blitz in a processor a bit at a time, measure out into 300g sealed bags. Freeze. Get out when you need it and micro on 3 mins full in a suitable container. Fab.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mr zig has mastered the making of the rice and he can't cook at all. As others have said, blitz in a processor a bit at a time, measure out into 300g sealed bags. Freeze. Get out when you need it and micro on 3 mins full in a suitable container. Fab.
Oh, and this isn't the slightest bit watery either :-D

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I make my own paste. (One tsp of each) Into a bowl Garam Masala, medium curry powder, ginger spice, ground coriander, ground chilli flakes tomato puree garlic paste. I add olive oil and mix. I put this into the fridge to infuse for a couple of hours. Then, add butter to fry pan and add paste, stir around for a couple of mins, then add chicken breast. Cook until breast is done. I then add half a can of full-fat coconut cream, less if it is just for one person. Warm through then add some fresh coriander to serve. This is a chicken Korma. If you don't like Cauliflower, how about blitzing some broccoli? Or just have the broccoli steamed as normal. You can always make a larger batch of the paste and keep it in the fridge for when you want to use it

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

How do you manage to cook your dinner at work? Or do you simply take it in from home for that evening.

I will give that recipe a go. Probably not with fish though.
Hi @Listlad
I have an understanding company and work from 14:00 to 22:00 as my wife and I stagger our hours to look after 25 year old autistic son. I take all my bits and bobs to cook at work.
I should have added that a chilli pepper to the curry sauce, which get blended in a mixer.
Order of cooking.
Diced aubergine, fried in oil.
Mussels and prawns added.
Curry sauce microwaved for 3 mins on high
Added to frying pan.
Spinach, defrosted and squeezed out, it holds a lot of water... find frozen so much easier than fresh, which needs to be washed and washed.
I tend to cover with foil and warm everything through.
Fish, diced and added to pan, mix to cover with sauce and steam through.
Chop up coriander and mix in to pan.

On garlic, as was mentioned later, it's a high impact component with relatively little weight, so the carbs are really not an issue.
If you don't fancy fish a cooked meat could be used as an alternative, just for speed of prep.

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own paste. (One tsp of each) Into a bowl Garam Masala, medium curry powder, ginger spice, ground coriander, ground chilli flakes tomato puree garlic paste. I add olive oil and mix. I put this into the fridge to infuse for a couple of hours. Then, add butter to fry pan and add paste, stir around for a couple of mins, then add chicken breast. Cook until breast is done. I then add half a can of full-fat coconut cream, less if it is just for one person. Warm through then add some fresh coriander to serve. This is a chicken Korma. If you don't like Cauliflower, how about blitzing some broccoli? Or just have the broccoli steamed as normal. You can always make a larger batch of the paste and keep it in the fridge for when you want to use it
Well I am going to try and buy some broccoli rice tomorrow if I can or it might have to wait till I can get to a large Tesco or Asda. We have a smaller Morrison’s near by and an Aldi.

I think I will prefer the pre prepped broccoli as opposed to the cauliflower. I will buy ready prepped as I dont get much time to spend on preparing food to cook.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am going to try and buy some broccoli rice tomorrow if I can or it might have to wait till I can get to a large Tesco or Asda. We have a smaller Morrison’s near by and an Aldi.

I think I will prefer the pre prepped broccoli as opposed to the cauliflower. I will buy ready prepped as I dont get much time to spend on preparing food to cook.

Listlad, if you're not finding the cauli rice or other subs aren't floating your boat with curry, why not consider serving your curry into a bowl, and just having more of it?

Often, if I'm on my own, I'll just do the curry, then have a larger portion of the main event, and not bother with the bulker/carrier. If there is sauce left at the end, a spoon helps out.

That way, I have all the flavour and none of the bloat.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, if you're not finding the cauli rice or other subs aren't floating your boat with curry, why not consider serving your curry into a bowl, and just having more of it?

Often, if I'm on my own, I'll just do the curry, then have a larger portion of the main event, and not bother with the bulker/carrier. If there is sauce left at the end, a spoon helps out.

That way, I have all the flavour and none of the bloat.
Well.....it ain’t normal to have a curry without a naan and / or rice to go with it. :D But yes, if needs must then you are probably right.

I did notice a recipe today using coconut flour or something, earlier in the thread so that might be a way to go. Mr Pots recipe post, that is.

Most recently I have been using brown rice and that might prove sufficient as long as my future blood test results remain on the more favourable side, if you see what I mean.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well.....it ain’t normal to have a curry without a naan and / or rice to go with it. :D But yes, if needs must then you are probably right.

I did notice a recipe today using coconut flour or something, earlier in the thread so that might be a way to go. Mr Pots recipe post, that is.

Most recently I have been using brown rice and that might prove sufficient as long as my future blood test results remain on the more favourable side, if you see what I mean.

Listlad, sometimes a new normal isn't such a bad thing.

Having got my condition into a good place, I can actually have some rice, but quite often just don't bother.

In the early days, there's lots of trial and error, so keep trying things out to find where you go for yourself. In this regard, your meter is by far your best friend. You're meter's feedback will give you a decent guide.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, sometimes a new normal isn't such a bad thing.

Having got my condition into a good place, I can actually have some rice, but quite often just don't bother.

In the early days, there's lots of trial and error, so keep trying things out to find where you go for yourself. In this regard, your meter is by far your best friend. You're meter's feedback will give you a decent guide.
I am just about to order a meter.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know if the psyllium husk powder could be left out of the Diet Doctor flat bread I don't really know what it is as I have never had it but wondered if it is a vital ingredient I have Googled it and it seems to be used mostly for constipation so what happens if you are not constipated and put it in cooking does it have the same effect... ie lot's of trips to the toilet