Amputation

huggybear

Like me did any members have complications due too diabetes....
I had a bad affected foot and loss 4 toes on the right foot plus part of foot.
I have been told there maybe more too lose if infection doesn't clear up properly.
District Nurse says foot is healing up well, cause after last op wound was left open, they reckon it heals up quicker that way ( looks like a side of bacon ) :shock:

sparkles

Hi Huggybear,
I still dont know if there is a link between a skin complaint I have had for two years and my diabetes. To others it would probably be shrugged off as only a few spots and I've been constantly told even by people I dont know well to stop picking at them. Two things, one is they have been through phases where they were incredibly itchy and two when they attacked my face it had a huge psychological impact on me. They are clearing up nicely now and Im hoping it wont be too long until this whole episode is behind me. Not quite an amputation but still a wake up call if one can hear it. I think the low carb diet I started has definately been of benefit to me as my skin has improved by leaps and bounds since starting it. (though could be they got the antibiotic right this time too) and my energy levels are coming up after two years of scraping the floor.

This is a silly thing really but someone told me this story once from a book they'd been reading. It concerned a tribe. a member of the tribe fell down a cliff and broke his leg. The other members rescued him and brought him back to the hut. They stayed with him and smeared mud on and talked to his leg, telling it how important it was, how much they all hoped it would recover and how needed it was to function. THe man made a full recovery. Well I said it was a silly story but I loved the idea of focussing on and talking (in my head ) to bits of body that are ailing. It does make you think about how precious they are. We want wholeness really.

you might consider the low carb option if you havent already, but check with someone knowledgeable that it would be ok if you fancy giving it a try. I hope your foot heals nicely.
look after it.
sparkles.

C

catherinecherub

Hi huggybear,

Just wanted to say that I wish you all the luck in the world. I cannot begin to know how you are feeling.

Take care

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
Good story sparkles. The mind is a powerful thing, I have heard similar stories before.
Huggybear make every effort to have good blood sugar levels as near to non~diabetic levels as possible. And eat lots of healthy fresh food. Also you must be so traumatised I hope you get help to deal with emotional aspects.
I wish you well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry to read your post huggybear, just hope the infection clears up soon for you.

Nigel

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I had a bad fall did myself some perm damage Not related to diabetes.

However since then I have had few things that are related to my diabetes ,Mini stroke
still recovering from that one , Pressure sores that don't heal as fast as they should ,
Lucky have not had anything Cut off Yet
I do knock my legs a lot ,swinging them around when transferring ,Toes manly
had a few nasty cuts on legs that did not heal very well , Was told if i am not more careful with them,will end with the chop :shock:

This make you smile
Do you know what i miss the most , :?: Just Standing up and having a Pee you know (yellow snow)
and whooshing that fag butt down the other end of the urinal :mrgreen:
now i just pee my pants :oops: well if don't have a catheter in all the time
and that is miles better than nappy rash at 55 :evil:

Hope you keep your Mobility Mate
And keep smiling

Bob

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I had a non-diabetic mobility issue after a motorbike accident left me with nerve damage to my foot. I had to try telling it to lift to keep the brain path open, and it's frustrating when it wont do anything, but then one day you see a twitch! The body is incredible I'm now back playing badminton in the local league, you stay positive and keep trying there's no reason you can't carry on appearing "normal" to others. And the biggest benefit is to yourself, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed walking by the river seeing the baby ducklings after being practically housebound for 3 months. The simplest things will be most rewarding, hope all heals well.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi huggybear, so sorry to hear of your troubles and I do hope your wound heals quickly for you and that no further surgery will be needed.

swordy

Huggybear, I know how you are feeling just now I had the same operation only it was my left foot. My foot took 7 months to heal properly, it will get better. I also had a by-pass operation on my leg to try and restore the blood supply to my foot which also healed properly, well if you could call it properly. I ended up with a flesh eating bug and had to have a huge section of my groin and side cut away and while waitig for this to heal I had a heart attack and ended up getting a triple by-pass and a further 5 operations on my chest because of infection. I now need to have another major operation to have 4 inches of my breast bone removed beause it is infected,butthe good thing is I am still hear to tell my story so Huggybear don't worry and sty positive and every thing will be great. Kind regards, Jim

diabeticjan

Hi there.....sorry I am a bit late with my reply.
Don't worry it will heal, I too had four toes amputated on one foot and later on the other foot had a forefoot removal (all toes & bit of foot).
The reason they leave it open and don't stitch it up is to allow it to heal from the bottom. If they closed it up you would be more prone to getting infection in it.
It does look pretty awful when it has been done, but it is amazing how it all fills in again with healthy tissue. Takes a few months though. Just be patient.
All the very best!
diabeticjan