Strawberry Jam

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Listlad, I think one thing that is a "negative" for many re: sweeteners is that it can continue to stimulate that "sweet tooth" that so many people struggle with.....the more sweetened things you consume, regardless of the sweetener, make you want to come back for more.....and some people are really adversely affected by sugar substitutes...you mentioned you have a small child - I would wonder if you would really want to be feeding him or her artificial sweeteners at such an early age? I am in no way being judgmental, but maybe something to consider...

I love strawberry jam, mixed berry jam, etc. I just use my potato masher and crush the fruit, put a bit of water with it, bring to a boil and then lower the heat so it simmers off the water and you end up with beautiful jam. It takes a bit of time, so be patient. One gets to enjoy the beautiful flavor of the fruits, not the sweetener!! Oh, and yes, a dash of lemon juice really perks it up. Sometimes I will make a slurry with water and almond or coconut flour if it's looking too thin and cook that in the berries (I do that for gravy too). I store it in the fridge and it seems to set up a bit more when cooled. Cheers/L
Hi Lindijanice. I am not sure but haven’t sweetners been given the all clear?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lindijanice. I am not sure but haven’t sweetners been given the all clear?
Not really. There still plenty of controversy. In fact there was a report last week talking about gut biomes being upset by the artificial ones. Then there’s sugar alcohols reported to have no affect and are unabsorbed. However it’s not unusual for maltitol for example to still spike blood sugars whilst erythritol doesn’t. Too many of this type of sweetener can cause diarrhoea. Lastly there things like stevia and monk fruit which are all natural. The taste isn’t for everyone. Add into the argument about perpetuating a sweet tooth, or managing lifestyle and cravings without damage and you have a minefield.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. There still plenty of controversy. In fact there was a report last week talking about gut biomes being upset by the artificial ones. Then there’s sugar alcohols reported to have no affect and are unabsorbed. However it’s not unusual for maltitol for example to still spike blood sugars whilst erythritol doesn’t. Too many of this type of sweetener can cause diarrhoea. Lastly there things like stevia and monk fruit which are all natural. The taste isn’t for everyone. Add into the argument about perpetuating a sweet tooth, or managing lifestyle and cravings without damage and you have a minefield.
I agree it is a minefield. And diet is also a minefield.

I use Stevia and yes it does have a different taste but one I have got used to. In cooking one cannot taste it.

In my case I can block out cravings for sugary foods off the shelf and sweets and chocolate and am doing just that right now. I just use the stevia for tea, in cooking instead of sugar and on porridge or rice pud etc etc. Interestingly our GP recommended alternatively sweetened sweets as a laxative. In my case though I have not had any adverse effects from Stevia in the laxative sense. It is probably about getting the balance right.

Additionally our dentist recommended a kids bottled juice that contained a certain sweetner.

I made a curry the other day that needed a sweetner in it and added some Stevia.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree it is a minefield. And diet is also a minefield.

I use Stevia and yes it does have a different taste but one I have got used to. In cooking one cannot taste it.

In my case I can block out cravings for sugary foods off the shelf and sweets and chocolate and am doing just that right now. I just use the stevia for tea, in cooking instead of sugar and on porridge or rice pud etc etc. Interestingly our GP recommended alternatively sweetened sweets as a laxative. In my case though I have not had any adverse effects from Stevia in the laxative sense. It is probably about getting the balance right.

I made a curry the other day that needed a sweetner in it and added some Stevia.
Stevia isn’t the laxative one. That’s the sugar alcohols. Like maltitol and xylitol often found in sweets and low carb bars. How are you responding to porridge and rice pud? They spike me and many others badly.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia isn’t the laxative one. That’s the sugar alcohols. Like maltitol and xylitol often found in sweets and low carb bars. How are you responding to porridge and rice pud? They spike me and many others badly.
I have always eaten the two. With the porridge I decided to eat more of it upon advice and so have tended to have it most mornings for about 10 years now, using stewed fruit or dried fruit as sweetners. I recognise that I may well need to change if I am going to get my A1c figures down (shall see new figures next month) and hopefully I will order a meter this weekend.

I do recognise that I might need to make a more radical shift away from carbs but am waiting to see if I need to go that far.

The other problem I have is trying to get the family to sit down at meal time and eat broadly the same foods as cooking for 3, but cooking 3 different meals is challenging. :D My wife likes rice with everything, morning noon and night.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always eaten the two. With the porridge I decided to eat more of it upon advice and so have tended to have it most mornings for about 10 years now, using stewed fruit or dried fruit as sweetners. I recognise that I may well need to change if I am going to get my A1c figures down (shall see new figures next month) and hopefully I will order a meter this weekend.

I do recognise that I might need to make a more radical shift away from carbs but am waiting to see if I need to go that far.

The other problem I have is trying to get the family to sit down at meal time and eat broadly the same foods as cooking for 3, but cooking 3 different meals is challenging. :D My wife likes rice with everything, morning noon and night.
You many find once you test that breakfast changes The oats and the fruit whether stewed or dried is probably the highest carb meal you can get. Eggs are a great alternative for many.

I hear the problem re family eating. There me low carb. A husband who’s incredibly active vegetarian and massive carbaholic with great blood numbers who loves spice, two typical teeenagers and a third trying to be super healthy and with a massive appetite who can’t stand spice. Some won’t eat mushrooms, peppers, onions or tomatoes and have never liked them so it’s genuine dislike not fad. There is no such thing as one meal here:( I try and have one basic starting point and several pots to add various extras. Carbs like rice, pasta or potatoes are side dishes not included in the main item so they can be added at will. It drives me crazy and makes food pretty much my entire existence some days. It’d be sooooo much easier, a total dream, to cook one meal each day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One step at a time. I have just bought some chia seed, in Aldi. I knew nothing about these till recently. So will try them with jam making. Though instead of strawberries I bought mixed berries and may not need to add chia seeds to thicken. However I will try a chia seed pudding of some kind.

Reactions: HSSS

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
You could mix your sugar free jam with Greek yogurt to make a home made low carb Muller Corner.
(Not to confused with a Thomas Muller Corner, which is what happens when a German footballer takes a set piece kick).

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could mix your sugar free jam with Greek yogurt to make a home made low carb Muller Corner.
(Not to confused with a Thomas Muller Corner, which is what happens when a German footballer takes a set piece kick).
Or even Gerd Muller - Der Bomber.

I like Greek yoghurt. Thanks.

I used to eat loads of fruit yoghurt then scaled back as it became obvious that it was loaded with sugar and calories. When I got a chance I used plain or Greek yoghurt and added stuff to it. Now, since I am making sugar free jam I can buy buckets of Greek yoghurt and add the jam.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slight bit of thread drift but I bought some Greek yoghurt from Aldi. Not the low fat stuff. So hopefully I have the right stuff.

I have just had some with the strawberry jam.

As it hadn’t jelled sufficiently, the strawberry jam is more like a coulli and tastes all the better for not being swamped with Stevia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One step at a time. I have just bought some chia seed, in Aldi. I knew nothing about these till recently. So will try them with jam making. Though instead of strawberries I bought mixed berries and may not need to add chia seeds to thicken. However I will try a chia seed pudding of some kind.

Hey @Listlad some good discussions going on here re: the sweeteners so I really don't have much more to add. I hope you find your "sweet spot" in all of this!! Have fun with your experimentations! Blessings/L

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Listlad some good discussions going on here re: the sweeteners so I really don't have much more to add. I hope you find your "sweet spot" in all of this!! Have fun with your experimentations! Blessings/L
Well yes, am trying to get off added sugar and the use of sweetners is one route out of that. I have been exploring sweetners for just a few weeks now. I will see if there is one out there that is acceptable, however there is a lot of conflicting advice on the matter a bit like Brexit :D , so it is a question of finding my way through that.

I had a dentist recommend an artificially sweetened juice for children so it’s quite easy to end up thinking it is okay to use (some of ) them. I think it was xylitol.

Reactions: lindijanice