Type 1'stars R Us

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to be the latest today . Not usually on the weekends as hate the app on my phone!
Well, all my Medtronic "homework" has been done and just done my first cannula change....why was I so worried about it? Seriously, finger poking hurts more! Just learning about dual and square wave bolus...been connected for 3 days now and no problems to report as yet
Nope you’ve lost me with the tech talk. It does sound like you’re having fun though. Long may it last.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre - so unobtrusive, you don't even know you're wearing it. That'll be why I just knocked mine off whilst showering then! Arrrrgh!

I've had no issues in the shower, so far.. Guessing soap ingress of the sticky pad may cause issue? clean round & rinse quick.?
I took a bath with it last night thinking hot water has got to kill it..
Mine's fixed underarm. Towel pat the area then hit it carefully with the hairdryer whilst styling.. well, not really styling, just a cleaner version of how it is.. "casual perfection, baby!" :D;)

Reactions: Knikki

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Jaylee I now have a vision of styled and gelled underarm hair. I did not want that vision. I am quite possibly traumatised.

Reactions: Daphne917

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.
Well we hit the 3x2 slabs again today, only 5 left now plus some cuts. 9 inch angle grinder has been a godsend ( invest in a quality blade, makes all the difference)
Sugars within range almost all day. Egg , bacon, tomato and toast at 11.30 was lovely. As a T1 diabetic, apparently I need to inject insulin, how could I forget:banghead::banghead:. I was only an hour late with it and the slabbing kept everything lower than usual.
Y’all enjoy what’s left of the weekend, get the thermals out for next week and get to bed early:):).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jaylee I now have a vision of styled and gelled underarm hair. I did not want that vision. I am quite possibly traumatised.

I'm more worried for the man when he has to remove it, from all that undergrowth.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m latest ;)

Poxy high levels all day due to poxy night’s sleep, I suspect. Just got back off call and relaxing with a nice cup of tea :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm last on parade today for writing anything in this thread. After last week's workplace shenanigans, the clinic on Friday, two consecutive days of 12+ miles of walking, and this morning's normal organ stool occupation followed by the organist's admin done up to Easter Day, I've had a rare, long, well-earned snooze this afternoon.

So far, so good on the new Official Plan for overnight basal. Much happier food-wise as well. Blood sugars, digestive system and joints are all in agreement.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely I must be latest on parade ever!!!.

Busy weekend again, the 3rd weekend in a row putting down laminate flooring for my folks. The first 2 weekends were hard going lots of unforeseen issues. This weekend was the hallway and I was expecting major issues but this was the easiest one by far. Only thing at my age its hard going on knees and back of thighs.

As it was a dry but cold day, went to beach and was tempted in for a wee paddle of the tootsies. Lovely

Enjoy what is left of weekend peeps

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . Please tell me you’ve been wearing knee pads. Had mine strapped on as soon as I started slabbing. Wouldn’t work without them.:):)

XCheesyToastyX

Evening all!

Hope all your BSL’s are behaving! I’ve had a bit of a low day, 5 hypos in the last 24 hours so thinking maybe my basal needs some adjustment!

On the plus side I think the blood thinners are taking effect as managed to go for two walks over the weekend with the pup and not been able to do that for months! So all is good really! Maybe that’s causing the hypos!

Reactions: smc4761 and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all!

Hope all your BSL’s are behaving! I’ve had a bit of a low day, 5 hypos in the last 24 hours so thinking maybe my basal needs some adjustment!

On the plus side I think the blood thinners are taking effect as managed to go for two walks over the weekend with the pup and not been able to do that for months! So all is good really! Maybe that’s causing the hypos!

The like is for the walks not the hypos! Walking can definitely cause me hypos if I'm not keeping a watchful eye on it all.

Reactions: XCheesyToastyX

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP , I meant to reply to your post about supply teaching before now. I reckon those of us who did our training in the last century can cope with almost anything! I've had interesting conversations recently about this and made newly trained colleagues go pale at the thought of creating lesson plans and resources without the use of the internet. I'd be ashamed of myself if I couldn't. Though, I do make full use of all resources available to me now!

One of the things I loved about the job I had prior to this one was the sheer variety of subjects I supported in and how much I learned along with the students. Maybe not floristry - I was renowned for being the only TA who never wanted to have a go other than to re-demonstrate to a student who was struggling with a technique.

K

Knikki

Evening.

Good day, new speakers and a new sound base, just need to see if I can sell the old rig now, really don't want it to go a charity shop.

New speakers are fab and makes all the difference to both vyinal and CDs lus now have a deidicated stereo amp. I is happy :joyful:

Oh! Guess should mention this blood thing, been ok all day, but up and down but all in the green, except this morning where I dropped into the high 3 which is Ok :)

@helensaramay is this your trip to Scandinavia? Be interesting to see how Etch A Sketch handles saunas.

@Jaylee my Libre thingy what's it has been in a hot tub for a couple of hours, still worked :)

@XCheesyToastyX hugs on the hypos, they don't bother me so much but know others get rather flustered by them, I think it was probably the walk that did, but, saying that seems your doing more stuff which is great :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm off tomorrow to meet a friend, we haven't seen each other for over 30 years. The thing that gets me is not being able to just get up in the morning and go. Have to check all supplies, extras etc are ready. Really sad that I can't be as spontaneous as I was before T1D. Have I said this already?

Reactions: urbanracer

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really sad that I can't be as spontaneous as I was before T1D. Have I said this already?

Yes, you have, Sue, and the answer is that, give it a bit of time, you'll get used to it, it'll eventually be second nature to just pat your pockets down to check your pen, meter, glucotabs are there, and then sally forth into the big wide world.

As time goes by, you'll figure out ways of dealing with these sort of situations - going out to meet a friend, you'll maybe have a general idea of where you're going, what the general service time is there, and the likely carb count of what you'll be eating, so you can then start thinking about whether a few units beforehand to get some in stream will work before you hit the carbs without putting you in hypo territory if the service is too slow.

I've been caught out a few times in those sort of situations, happens to us all, but I always try to remember a quote from Elliot P Joslin, who was at the forefront of T1 management last century.

He said that T1s were extremely good at figuring out answers to difficult situations. He was one of the first people to decide that it was right to hand over day to day management decisions to the patient instead of the doctor.

It takes time, but give it another year or two, and I'm guessing your take on it will not be, "I can't do that", it'll be, "here's how I do it."

You'll suss this out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_P._Joslin

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . Please tell me you’ve been wearing knee pads. Had mine strapped on as soon as I started slabbing. Wouldn’t work without them.:):)

Find knee pads too restrictive. I do however have a couple of cushions that I move about and kneel on them. They do the trick however half the time I forget to use them, getting too old and senile

Reactions: hh1 and therower

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think we stop remembering, if not mourning (in a way), the loss of things like spontaneity when we've been diagnosed as adults and experienced different in our past @SueJB. I empathize as someone who over-analyzes everything and doubt that it will ever fully fade into the background. Everything can be done, of course, but everything has to take into account managing our new lifelong 'friend'.

@Scott-C has the right answer and attitude to tackle it and I can't add anymore to the positive outlook in his post.

In other news.. feels like a rollercoaster this Sunday. For some reason Fiasp absorption seems to have changed for me just recently (sped up) and I can't seem to crack the pattern with my pre-bolusing of suddenly dipping low, fixing and then rapidly climbing high. I wonder if I'm getting delayed absorption of food or whether I need to split my doses further apart. :shifty:

Reactions: karen8967